You don't mess with Gerry

30 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

So terrible that he got hat-tricks against Man Utd and Roma.

He made his home debut against Brum in September 1957 and we won 5-3.

Couldn’ t remember who we played, thought it was 59/60 season and I knew we won. 

Was only a nipper at the time but remember the crowd moaning about him.

Soon won them/us over when he switched positions though. 

Anybody remember which season he made the switch.? Probably after Tony Kay departed for Everton.

52 minutes ago, dnhc said:

what years did ipswich wear it?

bha would be far enough down the leagues as not to be noticed.

They modernised it in the early 60s,but with blue cuffs,prior to that it had a V neck  from around the mid 50s onward,think they brought in the blue sleeves around 65 ish

On 17/04/2018 at 15:49, Lord Snooty said:

Gerry Young

image.png.ae173dc0303f9409e93002c6c6463fb0.png

Position : Centre back

Fee:  N/A

Apps: 345

Goals : 20

First Game: 2 March 1957
Final Game: 2nd January 1971

Gerry Young signed for Wednesday as a 19 year old after playing non-league football in his native North East .

He signed for Sheffield Wednesday in the early part of 1955 as a centre forward, however his chances of breaking into the side were restricted by the presence of players of the calibre of Redfern Froggatt, Roy Shiner and John Fantham. 

He made his debut in 1857 but didn't really become a regular starter until 1962 when Tony Kay was sold to Everton and he was switched to central defence by manager Vic Buckingham (Though he did  score a hat trick in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup against A.S. Roma!)

Gerry stayed with Wednesday until he retired at the end of the 1970–71 season he played 310 league games (345 including cup games) scoring 20 goals.

He formed a central defensive partnership with Vic Mobley during the period from 1964 to 1969, his final game was on 2 January 1971 in a 1–4 FA Cup 3rd round defeat at Tottenham Hotspur.

345 games including sub appearances. Thats some going. Thats proper service. Not '3 appearances and lets talk about a new deal or I'm off'.

Memories of Gerry. Not including 'that one'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

In those days, you couldn’t buy replica kits around the country, you had to buy from a range of colours in sports shops Really annoyingly, the nearest one to that Wednesday kit was a Bukta one, that had blue cuffs

I got the full Wednesday kit - Christmas, either 68 or 69. My Mum got it from Sugg Sports IIRC.

The Wednesday ‘Arsenal’ kit was the first kit I ever had.

I’d been told that the kit with the blue cuffs was Brightons (?) from kids at school and I remember nagging my Mother, on a daily basis, not to get me the one with the blue cuffs - I wanted a proper Wednesday one.

I remember Christmas morning playing football in the full kit (including studded boots) on the local Council garage site behind my mothers. (Loads of garages where Council tenants could have a garage). On concrete.

I think the first time I saw them in stripes was when Peter Swan made his comeback ? Don’t know if it was actually the same season?

Remember my older brother going on and on about it - back in stripes.

This picture shows Swan and Bronco Layne - don’t remember Layne playing again, did he actually play?

54DC68EA-8719-4213-BE49-5AA4ABDA4FD3.jpeg

Hardest one I can remember is probably Gerry Young...closely followed by Jeff Johnson and maybe Dave "The Tank" Clements....

I can rememember Clements at an away game somewhere or other.......... ..just goin' through the other team in a  f.ookin' totally straight line..from the edge of his own box...just straight...no tricks, no stepovers, "Droppin' yer shoulder"...owt...

It was like "They are kicking this way..I'll just simply run..That way"...He didn't score or owt...but no f.ooker would go anywhere near him for the rest of the game

12 hours ago, gurujuan said:

In those days, you couldn’t buy replica kits around the country, you had to buy from a range of colours in sports shops Really annoyingly, the nearest one to that Wednesday kit was a Bukta one, that had blue cuffs

i had the bukta kit. The material was like sand paper and used to rub my nipples raw !! Wish i still got it though

16 hours ago, ReadingOwl said:

I think the first time I saw them in stripes was when Peter Swan made his comeback ? Don’t know if it was actually the same season?

Remember my older brother going on and on about it - back in stripes.

This picture shows Swan and Bronco Layne - don’t remember Layne playing again, did he actually play?

54DC68EA-8719-4213-BE49-5AA4ABDA4FD3.jpeg

Bronco got shipped off somewhere on loan, Hereford if I remember rightly, but never played for us.

He got injured pretty early on and that was it.

On 27/08/2018 at 15:28, gurujuan said:

i had that kit  in the photo when i was a lad in the 60s

Edited by king of kings