Revenue Generation

Guest Hillsborough Mole

2 hours ago, Ian said:

I suspect there may be an issue over the additional load bearing of the significant weight of the panels.

Im aware of a couple of people who haven't been able to sell their house as the buyers couldn't get a mortgage over this issue

Worth an investigation though I would have thought 

This is true.

Lass I work with, has had a right kerfuffle over solar panels when buying a house.

It's taken months to sort out.

I commissioned over 2000 installations of solar panels in 2012/13. Feed in tariffs for domestic properties were 0.45p at that time and these increase by inflation over time. They are currently generating £1m per year.

However! The tariff is now just 0.0015p for commercial systems. And the government are stopping the scheme entirely. We don't need the power ourselves and you can't currently store it (easily) so the payback period might be around 70 years or so.

And as somebody mentioned, the grid might not also not have capacity to take it.

If we were building a new stadium it might still be worth putting some of in there.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

• Thanks 1

Guest Hillsborough Mole
4 hours ago, Hookowl said:

Right, I thought you were suggesting buying the panels and just getting an electrical firm to install them.

I presume you mean pay outright for the company to supply and install, rather than pay off the cost from revenue earned ?

Yes exactly that

He has unlimited funds, he's not allowed to spend them remember

He should also build a business centre on the club's land, and rent that out too. Infrastructure investment that generates income for the club

There's countless ways he can invest his 'limitless funds' that will benefit the club without impacting on FFP

Guest Hillsborough Mole
2 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

I commissioned over 2000 installations of solar panels in 2012/13. Feed in tariffs for domestic properties were 0.45p at that time and these increase by inflation over time. They are currently generating £1m per year.

However! The tariff is now just 0.0015p for commercial systems. And the government are stopping the scheme entirely. We don't need the power ourselves and you can't currently store it (easily) so the payback period might be around 70 years or so.

And as somebody mentioned, the grid might not also not have capacity to take it.

If we were building a new stadium it might still be worth putting some of in there.

Where is that tariff rate? On here

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-programmes/fit/fit-tariff-rates

4 hours ago, Bigblueowl said:

Don't the solar panel companies then own the roof? 

Nope they rent your roof. In return they give you free elec for a couple of hours a day.....like fooook they do:biggrin:

Just bought a house with panels on, currently 19yrs left on lease (25yr lease)

I didn't want them, nothing I could do, but managed to get 8k knocked of asking price of house.

They are responsible for any damage to roof over the period and maintenance.

They generate FA, but because of generous government subsidies at the time they were on a winner.

• Thanks 2

The cost of solar panels is coming down but it’s still not low enough to make this viable, not to mention the logistics of connecting to the grid. 

I’m not sure what we can do to generate more money from the stadium without being in the middle of the city. 

If we were more central we could have apartments and office space linked to the ground itself. Not as attractive out in Hillsborough and we have limited space for development. 

Until we can construct our own purpose built stadium we will be hamstrung in this area. 

Looked into installing them about 3 years ago but decided against it as it would've taken around 7 years to break even. Looked again about a year ago and that had gone up to around 9. This was due to the reduction of the buy back tariff . According to the article, I read a couple of days ago the buy back has been scrapped.  I know a lot of installer companies have either gone bust or diversified

6 minutes ago, poite said:

Sounds like a good idea that makes a lot of sense.

Pity our owner would never identify it

Despite that, posters who are in the know on this subject have debunked the idea and your also making the assumption that the club hasn't already looked at the idea.

It was a good idea but going on the ITK posters that's all it is.

Guest timrud
2 hours ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

He has unlimited funds

Do you have a source for this, or are you just making it up?

19 minutes ago, Watson said:

Despite that, posters who are in the know on this subject have debunked the idea and your also making the assumption that the club hasn't already looked at the idea.

It was a good idea but going on the ITK posters that's all it is.

Your right. I am making the assumption they haven't looked at it 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, darra said:

Looked into installing them about 3 years ago but decided against it as it would've taken around 7 years to break even. Looked again about a year ago and that had gone up to around 9. This was due to the reduction of the buy back tariff . According to the article, I read a couple of days ago the buy back has been scrapped.  I know a lot of installer companies have either gone bust or diversified

Typically it is 10/15 yrs before outlay is paid back. Assuming no maintenance no problems with the roof etc.

The ones we have has had 2 new inverters fitted in 3 years...no idea what that would cost if I had to pay for it.

They say the lifetime of the panels is 20yrs (they degenerate over time) My guess is that after 10/15yrs they would need replacing.

So possibly or even likely, by the time you've got your money back they need replacing.

That's probably the reason, town halls don't have em (green councils may but they are going to save the world and not interested in costs)) or large public buildings...or Sheff Wed

Might be ok on Real Madrids ground though...

4 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

You can store some of the power generated in a battery, which you can draw off in times of high rate periods. Not sure how big the battery units are though for a site like Hillsborough.

I reckon the stadium is a fairly high electricity consumption. Over the last few years we've also had new tech like those sun-lamps which i'm assuming draws off a fair bit of power. I also know commercial electricity prices have risen 25% in three years.

10 minutes ago, Animis said:

You can store some of the power generated in a battery, which you can draw off in times of high rate periods. Not sure how big the battery units are though for a site like Hillsborough.

I reckon the stadium is a fairly high electricity consumption. Over the last few years we've also had new tech like those sun-lamps which i'm assuming draws off a fair bit of power. I also know commercial electricity prices have risen 25% in three years.

There aren't any commercially economical batteries available yet. Tessla are developing and supposedly supplying some in the US but they arent available here.

Sunlamp usage is ideal though