His name is Atdhe...

9 minutes ago, AndersonOWL said:

But it isn't, your claiming it to be abuse but it's not? 

If you could answer my original question instead of sidestepping we might get somewhere.

Calling someone Big Dave in its self is not abusive but if someone asks you not to call them by that name then that could be construed as abusive should you carry on.  It's obviously a term he doesn't like so why do you feel the need to use it? 

Edited by Watson

2 minutes ago, Watson said:

If you could answer my original question instead of sidestepping we might get somewhere.

Calling someone Big Dave in its self is not abusive but if someone asks you not to call them by that name then could be construed as abusive should you carry on.  It's obviously a term he doesn't like so why do you feel the need to use it? 

Because there is no term in there that is offensive by the Equality and Diversity Act meaning that it is there for not legally defined as offensive.

1 minute ago, AndersonOWL said:

Because there is no term in there that is offensive by the Equality and Diversity Act meaning that it is there for not legally defined as offensive.

But we're not discussing that Act, your deflecting again.  Nuhiu has asked politely and reasonably not to be called by that name.  Why do you feel the need to use a term which he has asked not to be used when referring to him?  

Just now, Watson said:

But we're not discussing that Act, your deflecting again.  Nuhiu has asked politely and reasonably not to be called by that name.  Why do you feel the need to use a term which he has asked not to be used when referring to him?  

But when you say it's offensive then I clearly show it is not defined as offensive you change the point? I'm not deflecting you called it abuse and now you're saying it's a polite request? 

And I call him big dave because he is big dave.

1 minute ago, AndersonOWL said:

But when you say it's offensive then I clearly show it is not defined as offensive you change the point? I'm not deflecting you called it abuse and now you're saying it's a polite request? 

And I call him big dave because he is big dave.

OK, I tried to have an honest debate with you.  But you refuse to answer questions raised.  Have a nice day.  

4 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

What people you don't know from halfway across Europe?

The point here is that we aren't halfway across Europe......someone from halfway across Europe is here....and therefore should fit in with our culture,...of which very rarely calling people by their proper name is one.

id like to add that I don't call him Dave or anything like that

Just now, Ian said:

The point here is that we aren't halfway across Europe......someone from halfway across Europe is here....and therefore should fit in with our culture,...of which very rarely calling people by their proper name is one.

So a nickname is bad?

It blows my mind that people can't understand the simple concept of 'if someone doesn't like to be called something, don't call them that'. 

So Big Dave isn't offensive to you. So what? Your opinion doesn't matter because you're not on the receiving end of it. To Atdhe, the fact that people call him Big Dave could basically read as "Your name is foreign and I can't be bothered to learn how to say it properly, so I'll call you something British instead." If you can't see why that could be disrespectful then you're probably a lost cause. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ian said:

I know quite few people from Southern Spain.

They have magdalena’s, cold rice pudding and coffee for breakfast.

In France, some actually have croissant.

Can’t trust them IMO.

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

IHow would you define fitting in with our culture?  Should he get drunk every Saturday night then go Morris dancing on a Sunday then watch a bit of cricket?  Isn't the beauty of our culture that you can do as you wish within the law? 

Just now, Watson said:

Isn't the beauty of our culture that you can do as you wish within the law? 

Exactly - so Big Dave it is then.

In our culture you don’t get to pick your own nickname (or, we didn’t at school)  - that would be daft.

Its given to you.

1 minute ago, ReadingOwl said:

Exactly - so Big Dave it is then.

In our culture you don’t get to pick your own nickname (or, we didn’t at school)  - that would be daft.

Its given to you.

Its also in our culture that we are very polite and respects peoples points of view even if we don't disagree with them.  I would you remind you that most posters have left school and have also left simplistic childish concepts behind.