His name is Atdhe...

4 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

He's a footballer ffs which let's not forget is a profession with working class roots.  If the lads down the pit or the steel works got offended when someone gave them (what amounts to) an endearing nick name, most of them would end up getting a pretty hard time from their colleagues.  Im a big fan but Atdhe needs to concentrate on his job and accept his lot.  Personally i don't buy that he is that prissy anyway, its some of you on here that win that title.  Let's leave the pc testicles to Fulham and Brighton fans.

So what you're saying is

Thoughtfulness to others is prissy. 

Because other people have been insulted in the past that makes it OK. 

That if you don't agree with someone's point of view it's OK to insult them? 

Perhaps I misunderstood you? 

1 hour ago, darklord said:

Fair enough if he doesn't like it. 

I'll call him Susan instead 

Johnny Cash

I got all chocked up and threw down my gun

and I called him pa, and he called me son,

and I came away with a different point of view.

And I think about him now and then,

every time I try and every time I win.

And if I ever have a son, I think I'm gonna name him.

Bill or George! anything but DAVE, I hate that name.

6 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

So what you're saying is

Thoughtfulness to others is prissy. 

Because other people have been insulted in the past that makes it OK. 

That if you don't agree with someone's point of view it's OK to insult them? 

Perhaps I misunderstood you? 

No im saying that not one person has used the name as an insult, so why be so sensitive as to take it that way.  I've been called much worse in fun and have never once taken offence because i was aware of the context it was meant.  Much worse things in life such as the pc brigade making life unnecessarily complicated/legislated/expensive.

9 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

No im saying that not one person has used the name as an insult, so why be so sensitive as to take it that way.  I've been called much worse in fun and have never once taken offence because i was aware of the context it was meant.  Much worse things in life such as the pc brigade making life unnecessarily complicated/legislated/expensive.

Ok fair enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rev Owl said:

However Nuhiu himself does not like being called Dave, though he realises there is very little he can do about it.

When asked about being called Dave, he said: “Or Big Man. I don’t like it. But what can you do? You cannot teach them if they don’t want to learn. Maybe they think they can’t pronounce my name. It’s not a big problem.”

He says he doesn't like it. 

'It's not a big problem' refers to pronouncing his name. 

Hope that helps. 

Do you understand the concept of a quotation? Where does he use the word "disrespectful"?

6 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Reminds me of that song by The Ting Tings.

They call me Dave,

They call me Dave,

They call me Dave,

They call me Dave,

That's not my name,

That's not my name,

That's not my name,

That's not my name.

lol:tango::ghoulguy:

42 minutes ago, Barry Smegson said:

Do you understand the concept of a quotation? Where does he use the word "disrespectful"?

Do you understand the concept of disrespectful? Or the use of synonyms or reading between the lines or semantics. I'm sure you do. 

I didn't start this thread to start an argument between me and anyone else.

I started it because someone we don't know personally has made it known that he doesn't like a particular nickname.

The reason he doesn't like it, reading between the lines,  is that it betrays people's lack of interest in him to the extent that they can't be bothered to pronounce his name properly. 

Nicknames are fine when they are welcome.  He doesn't like it. 

Yet some people feel that it's OK to keep using it publicly either on social media or shouting it at him at matches. I don't think that's particularly kind or thoughtful. 

Just because we are using social media or just because he's a footballer or because we're football fans doesn't justify unkindness.  In my opinion. 

Perhaps we should agree to disagree. 

it honestly feels like you Sheffield folk just can't be happy with with a win. Always moan about something.  I'm pretty sure I've been a game when he came on a sub and the bloke who announces subs even called him big dave. Someone back me up please.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rev Owl said:

Do you understand the concept of disrespectful? Or the use of synonyms or reading between the lines or semantics. I'm sure you do. 

I didn't start this thread to start an argument between me and anyone else.

I started it because someone we don't know personally has made it known that he doesn't like a particular nickname.

The reason he doesn't like it, reading between the lines,  is that it betrays people's lack of interest in him to the extent that they can't be bothered to pronounce his name properly. 

Nicknames are fine when they are welcome.  He doesn't like it. 

Yet some people feel that it's OK to keep using it publicly either on social media or shouting it at him at matches. I don't think that's particularly kind or thoughtful. 

Just because we are using social media or just because he's a footballer or because we're football fans doesn't justify unkindness.  In my opinion. 

Perhaps we should agree to disagree. 

Youve invented the whole suggestion that atdhe nuhiu is insulted or finds the name disrespectful-he says nothing of the sort.

16 hours ago, Rev Owl said:

His name is Atdhe.  He doesn't like being called Dave. 

http://the72.co.uk/95216/atdhe-nuhiu-not-like-called-big-dave/

Still people on here call him Dave.  Still people at the match, who want to encourage him even,  call him Dave. 

I think it is hugely disrespectful. 

Atdhe isn't difficult to say.  'At dee' or 'Atti' seem acceptable.

Get your act together chaps and ladies please. 

BTW I have been a fierce critic of his in the past but TBF I can't fault his effort and under Jos his very positive contribution to the team. Let's show our support and respect. 

It's not banter if he finds it offensive. 

See the source image

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ka58 said:

Youve invented the whole suggestion that atdhe nuhiu is insulted or finds the name disrespectful-he says nothing of the sort.

What I said was that he didn't like it (2 interviews) and that to ignore that is disrepectful....

I didn't invent his dislike of the nickname.  I did suggest the disrespect in using it. 

16 hours ago, Rev Owl said:

His name is Atdhe.  He doesn't like being called Dave. 

http://the72.co.uk/95216/atdhe-nuhiu-not-like-called-big-dave/

Still people on here call him Dave.  Still people at the match, who want to encourage him even,  call him Dave. 

I think it is hugely disrespectful.