Penny / Thorniley

Penney was my man of the match yesterday but Thornley was very impressive too.

It was around this time last season when we spent a reported £4m on Joost Van Aken, if only Carlos had’ve given youth more of a chance Jordan Thornley could’ve saved us that transfer fee.

Both were superb, what I can’t get my head around is how Penney was not given any game time by Mansfield or Bradford...

Think the free kicks were not in a position for Penney to have a go, all need crosses and that is Bannan’s duty.

18 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I think Jos will use them wisely, they’re still young kids that are developing, he will know when to leave them in and when to leave them out.

From what I saw of Preston against Millwall, he was excellent, he didn’t make the squad today

That’s the sign of a manager that knows what he’s doing, he sees the players most days, he’ll be in constant contact with the coaches

In Jos I trust

These Kids as you call them are 20 and 21 respectively. They are not kids. If they are not good enough for first team football now they never will be. Even premiership teams play players who are their age and younger. If you are going to be good you should be in the first team, especially at championship level, when you are in your early 20s.

Just accept that they are first team players and judge them on that and that only. Crikey when I was 21 I would have been annoyed with anyone calling me a kid. 

Edited by mark1948

11 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

These Kids as you call them are 20 and 21 respectively. They are not kids. If they are not good enough for first team football now they never will be. Even premiership teams play players who are their age and younger. If you are going to be good you should be in the first team, especially at championship level, when you are in your early 20s.

Just accept that they are first team players and judge them on that and that only. Crikey when I was 21 I would have been annoyed with anyone calling me a kid. 

Are you telling me that you will judge the same player with who started just two games in his career, and one with 300 starts in his career ?

It is not that much about age, but experience.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, malek said:

Are you telling me that you will judge the same player with who started just two games in his career, and one with 300 starts in his career ?

Yes of course. This has to happen if new people are to come through. This is exactly why we have Dawson playing No 1 keeper and Westwood not in the picture. This has to happen at some point doesn't it.

Just because you've played 300 games doesn't make you the best.

Edited by mark1948

33 minutes ago, malek said:

I've got loads of experience in my line of work but sadly I'm no longer any good at it which is why I'm retired.

In football ability is trumps. There are loads of players out there who are long past their best keeping younger more able and better players on the sidelines. One of the reasons why Gareth Southgate's reputation has soared is that he decided to pick the players who were playing the best instead of those old familiar names. How we all loved him for that and the weeks of excitement we got at this summer's World Cup.

Edited by mark1948

Absolutely delighted with both performances.

Thorniley has grown as a centre half over last 10 months and is visibly improving by the game. He is competitive strong and plays without fear. We now have another centre half.

Penney has scored spectacular goals and some have raved about him for last two or three years. Has gone out on loan and not played. 

He cam on as sub and made instant impression. He has followed this with two good games and looks best left back at club by a country mile. One problem position has suddenly become far less so. Made a vital clearance towards end of game and generally has mobility that most of our defenders lack. He is one whose contract needs extending swiftly as vultures will start to hover. 

I like most am amazed he did not more games before now. 

With regard set pieces we were not that good at them prior to this season. Bannan delivery has been excellent and so has Pelupessy's from other side. Penny has a good cross in him and it is nice to know we have options Penny was stood aside Bannan at some free kicks so his ability is obviously known. Let the lad get some games under his belt let his confidence grow and I am sure he will create and score goals as well.

Think both will do themselves and club proud in future.

4 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Penney was my man of the match yesterday but Thornley was very impressive too.

It was around this time last season when we spent a reported £4m on Joost Van Aken, if only Carlos had’ve given youth more of a chance Jordan Thornley could’ve saved us that transfer fee.

100%

4 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Not a fan of digging up the past, but this is a very good point.

Highlights our ‘wasting money’ issues. 

Thornily is stronger than JVA and does a solid enough job. 

18 hours ago, s6 owl said:

Fortunately Penney doesn't have an egotistic famous dad though DC needs to get him and all our other youngsters signed up ASAP along with Bannan.

he doesn't need one he's got busy bee and malek batting for him …...

21 hours ago, fpowl said:

sThese two lads impress more every time I see them 

they look well ahead of some of our season pros

vert positive about these two I think they can secure themselves a regular first team spot this season which would be exclant for the for the club and the future

I’m hoping the same for baker and Kirby too 

Another great performance from Dawson too 

very very positive 

well done boys 

You van cut that out, NOW!.

Don't you know this is a site for professional  moaners.

DO NOT COME ON HERE WITH YOUR POSITIVE ATTITUDE.

22 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Oh dear

Bit different as George was never anywhere near the side. Penney is close to becoming a regular. Pretty sure if Jos would have come in after  the Huddersfield playoff loss he would have been given a chance with the rest of the young ones.

4 hours ago, Quist said:

Absolutely delighted with both performances.

Thorniley has grown as a centre half over last 10 months and is visibly improving by the game. He is competitive strong and plays without fear. We now have another centre half.

Penney has scored spectacular goals and some have raved about him for last two or three years. Has gone out on loan and not played. 

He cam on as sub and made instant impression. He has followed this with two good games and looks best left back at club by a country mile. One problem position has suddenly become far less so. Made a vital clearance towards end of game and generally has mobility that most of our defenders lack. He is one whose contract needs extending swiftly as vultures will start to hover. 

I like most am amazed he did not more games before now. 

With regard set pieces we were not that good at them prior to this season. Bannan delivery has been excellent and so has Pelupessy's from other side. Penny has a good cross in him and it is nice to know we have options Penny was stood aside Bannan at some free kicks so his ability is obviously known. Let the lad get some games under his belt let his confidence grow and I am sure he will create and score goals as well.

Think both will do themselves and club proud in future.

Let's hope so. Would be really good given our recent predicament.