Your team for #SWFC vs Ipswich

15 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Wowzers….give your heads a wobble!!!!!!!!

If FF was sat on the bench and we lost 1-0 on Saturday all three of you would be the first on here slating Jos and the team selection!!

Who is our most creative player? Who is our main match winner? Who is the player who gets you off your seat...don't answer it lads as it answers itself....is FF.

To sit him on the bench is identical to the situation we were in the 90's with Di'Canio and Carbone!! You do not sit a match winner and your best player on the bench, especially at this level. He can be and more often than not he is the difference between 3 points and anything different.

Nope. 

The side was much better on Wednesday before the introduction of Forestieri and Nuhiu from the bench.

The starting 11 won us the match with their good performance in the first 70 minutes. Neither substitute did anything of note to convince me that they should take one of the starting spots from Wednesday.

The side who started the game on Saturday should start against Ipswich, hands down.

3 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Same again please Jos.

Dawson

Palmer Lees Thorniley Penney

Pelupessy Bannan

Preston   Reach     Matias

Fletcher

If Preston not fit then bring in FF.

I doubt Penney and Preston will start, Jos said last season that player stepping up will not play 2 games in quick succession, que "he hasn't got a clue" when team is announced tomorrow...

Just now, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Nope. 

The side was much better on Wednesday before the introduction of Forestieri and Nuhiu from the bench.

The starting 11 won us the match with their good performance in the first 70 minutes. Neither substitute did anything of note to convince me that they should take one of the starting spots from Wednesday.

The side who started the game on Saturday should start against Ipswich, hands down.

When Nuihu and Nando came on we had 1 attack then Lees gifted them a goal and they pushed on looking for an equaliser, it was hardly their fault we were instantly under the cosh.

2 minutes ago, 1867Heaven said:

When Nuihu and Nando came on we had 1 attack then Lees gifted them a goal and they pushed on looking for an equaliser, it was hardly their fault we were instantly under the cosh.

That I'm not too sure. When they came on the ball stopped sticking up front, Nuhiu struggled to do anything productive and FF couldn't get on the ball much either. When he did he tried to much and put us back under the cosh.

2 hours ago, BenitoCarbone said:

Fernando is our best player. If he is fit, he should start. For either Matias or Preston.

Other than that, same team.

I think it would be harsh to leave Matias out after his performance on Wednesday. He worked really hard and tracked back well. I’d swap Preston for FF, Preston did a job against Millwall but FF should be able to do some damage to an Ipswich side who are, with no disrespect, inferior to Millwall.

1 hour ago, spike1867 said:

Its all down to interpretation regarding formation but the one thing that I keep thinking about is Lee Bullen's comments after the away win at Forest last year, when he took charge after CC left.  He said something along the lines of "we just kept it simple, 5 back and 5 forward".  If you look at 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 which are completely interchangeable during play, the one thing that it gives you is that simplicity of 5 back and 5 forward.  I said it before last year, I said it last year and i'll say it again, the most important players in our squad at the moment are Adam Reach and Kieran Lee.  They are the players that have the engine to get up and down regularly and give us the extra attacker and extra defender.  We struggled when KL got injured last season and picked up when Reach moved into the middle.  We struggle without Reach at the moment.  They provide options for Bannan, for defenders looking long and attacker looking for support.  Long term, if it appears that KL is struggling, this is the position we need to make sure we have an able understudy to Adam Reach either coming through the ranks or recruited from elsewhere.  I certainly think its one that we should look to the lower leagues for and shape in our own image.

Just an observation.

This is the sort of forward thinking/planning that should be second nature to a club with aspirations. Sadly Wednesday haven't been in this ballpark for years.

25 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Nope. 

The starting 11 won us the match?? are you saying we played the last 20 minutes with 9 men?

Shall I tell you why FF should be in the starting 11 its simple....He is the best player in our squad who has scored 30 plus goals in around 90 appearances and he can single handed win a game. Preston on the other hand as player 80 minutes and he had a very steady game!! Its not rocket science to think that FF is an automatic first pick, as is Bannan and the same with Lees

20 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

That I'm not too sure. When they came on the ball stopped sticking up front, Nuhiu struggled to do anything productive and FF couldn't get on the ball much either. When he did he tried to much and put us back under the cosh.

Oh dear lord give me strength...at 2-0 why do you think the players who went off were subbed and they players that came on where introduced?? (genuine question btw)

Same as Wednesday but FF in for Preston. Not saying Preston didn't do very well but 2 games in 3 days is a big ask after putting such a shift in and FF is talismanic and gives the team and fans a lift.

If Joao fit to be on the bench also gives us good options.

Just hope Jos doesn't change the system which worked well. We have to stick by a system in which the players looked moderately comfortable with and set Wednesday's performance as a benchmark. 

1 hour ago, peacock1961 said:

There'll be a few people having to look up reference point. Stevie cauthen paid for a great holiday for me and the bird of the time. 

My old man called it about 5 furlongs out in the Derby, "he's cruising, Cauthen won't need to touch him, I'm off to get my winnings, he's my 3rd today..." and he never looked back at the telly. In fairness he was favourite and rightly so but what a horse.

Dad died on Derby day 2003. When I was sorting his stuff out on the Sunday morning at the hospice I found his slips from the day before that I'd put on for him.  He won over £400 that day which went behind the bar in his local for his mates. He went out smiling.:unsure:

Anyway, back to Wednesday...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It will be interesting because to me the league games so far seem to have been an extended pre season. 4 games, at least 3 different systems and ongoing rotation of players.

So has Jos now settled on a formation? Hope so. 

Was the team selection on Wednesday motivated simply by rotation or was it Jos picking what he considered his best 11 for the night.

Hence will the team for tomorrow be a continuation and reward for the midweek performance or wil rotation be the driver.

Don’t know.

Will FF , Hutch, Pudil , Atty , Baker etc come in .

Fletcher , Matias, Preston , Palmer one of the young uns from defence rotated

Yep , I think tomorrow’s selection will tell us a lot

Dawson

Palmer Lees hutch Penney

Bannan   joey

Reach  Forestieri  matias

Fletcher

With this both forward widemen can cut in offering a goal threat and they track back better than ff for the fb's.

Ff can have a free role, middle, left, right wherever theres space

7 hours ago, spike1867 said:

Dawson

Palmer        Lees           Thorniley      Penney

Pelupessy   Reach

Preston                    Bannan                      Matias

Fletcher

Four players on the right 

non on the left

might just work 

:luhukay:

Edited by Stoop