Suggestions for the #SWFC Steering Committee

On 21/08/2018 at 18:49, Ethel The Tree said:

I'd like to know if there are any plans in place to actually INCREASE home attendances

On Wednesday night we'll probably get about 300 Millwall fans surrounded by 6,000 empty seats

Elsewhere, POTG will probably be close to an all-time low

We've discussed opening areas of the West Stand to home supporters on a regular basis - perhaps at discount prices for family groups etc

But is the club actively exploring ways to fill these seats (other than waiting for an upturn in results to create greater demand)?

^ this from the previous thread

Not likely to be well received, but more retro merchandise with the old crest on it. Before we changed to the current crest, there were some retro scarfs with it on them so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

With the amount of security /stewards, Wednesday already employ having a few outside the ground during the match  with phones/video cameras, patrolling the local streets deterring car vandalism would be a very nice, reletively low cost thing for the club to do to encourage people to come to Hillsborough. 

Eg put 2 stewards at either end of herries road walking up and down half of it each would imo virtually eliminate that problem. 

It's too expensive for a lot of people. If we were winning regularly and looking like going up then maybe people would overlook the cost. At the moment, and following on from last season, we aren't. Walk up attendance must be the lowest it's ever been so does season ticket money alone get us over the line as far as FFP goes? If not, what are the club going to do? We're currently getting very little money in by charging a lot. Could we try charging less and at least get some money in? We are perceived as expensive because we are expensive. This label is going to be impossible to shed unless prices are reduced across the board. 

To put the above in context, 1 high earners wages could be done away with to subsidise this price drop. Or 1 signing that wasn't made, say Rhodes for example. We didn't need him, the money could have been spent on fans which would have generated more income. Thats hindsight I know but lessons learned going forward and all that. 

Basically what I'm saying is we need to cut prices and get more people in. Other clubs charge less than us and are better on the pitch. Thats a fact. 

• Like 2

As this meeting is about the “fan experience” I would suggest there is not a great deal wrong currently. (Obviously the club has bigger and more important issues that most of the supporters are aware of) 

The things I would suggest to help the club and supporters would be ways to get people to the ground earlier and therefore spend more money 

Cheaper drinks/deals before 2pm 

Player signings/Ozzie owl at 1.30pm for the kids to get photos etc 

Is that 1867 lounge still a thing? If so make more of it, advertise it much better, do meals/drink deals etc 

Once people are in they’ll be spending more rather than in outside outlets - once people get into the habit on a regular basis it can only be good for the club 

In terms of the push for Sheffield music I’d suggest using the 10 minutes at half time to promote up and coming or unsigned local bands - either using the big screen or (more difficult) a pitch performance. Maybe do a new band of the month/season for the fans to vote on.

Following on from the music - can we use it for what it’s meant for - increase the atmosphere.

Sheffield music is great but so far it’s not served it’s purpose.

From 2.45 have music to rouse the crowd - build the atmosphere. 

The current choices just haven’t done it.

It might not be “cool” it might not be the choice of 50 year old men who drink real ale and discuss the record label of bands BUT it will get the crowd up for kick off.

The music so far has been bland in terms of crowd music 

I was on the south stand quite early on Wednesday night and I couldn't believe how empty it was on the concourse. Bar/food staff were literally stood bored out of their minds. I think it was like that up until about 7.15.

Didn't they use to do a thing where you could get cheaper food and drink before a certain time to encourage people into the stadium earlier?

1 hour ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I'd like to know if there are any plans in place to actually INCREASE home attendances

On Wednesday night we'll probably get about 300 Millwall fans surrounded by 6,000 empty seats

Elsewhere, POTG will probably be close to an all-time low

We've discussed opening areas of the West Stand to home supporters on a regular basis - perhaps at discount prices for family groups etc

But is the club actively exploring ways to fill these seats (other than waiting for an upturn in results to create greater demand)?

^ this from the previous thread

I was thinking about the midweek issue too, especially as we see an onslaught of new media offering these matches out. 

One idea I have had is a 'Players Club' where anyone that is registered to a team (rugby, football etc) that plays on a saturday or sunday can become sign onto receive tickets at ST/Discounted pricing for midweek games. Youth leagues through to seniors there must be thousands of registered players that can't buy season tickets as it clashes with their games so a scheme which gets them to midweek/evening games which are often on TV could be an idea. 

• Like 2

The craziest thing for me is how bad the club shop is. Surely it isn't hard to send a couple of staff to other club shops that are massive money makers and copy what they do. Go to Anfield, Manure, Man City etc etc have a nosy and get the shop buzzing, esp before the games

As a generic statement, better communication. 

I’d love to be able to have our club be open and fully transparent about all the daily ongoing, it’s never going to happen but that’s business. However, I do feel that there can still be some improvements in our communication. Take the embargo for an example, nobody ‘officially’ knew about it until a couple of weeks before we got out of it. I’m sure if there was a club statement at the start the reaction wouldn’t have been half as bad, it wouldn’t have been good but atleast then we all knew where we stood for the summer. 

Even if the communication going out isn’t great for the club, it shouldn’t stop them from letting it out. As I’m sure that being honest and open about a bad situation would get people backing the club, instead of waiting 3/4 weeks and getting a large amount of backlash. 

It would also be nice to have the club release updates about players ever few games so that we wasn’t having half the pre match pressers just talking about injuries. 

1 hour ago, torres said:

As this meeting is about the “fan experience” I would suggest there is not a great deal wrong currently. (Obviously the club has bigger and more important issues that most of the supporters are aware of) 

The things I would suggest to help the club and supporters would be ways to get people to the ground earlier and therefore spend more money 

Cheaper drinks/deals before 2pm 

Player signings/Ozzie owl at 1.30pm for the kids to get photos etc 

Is that 1867 lounge still a thing? If so make more of it, advertise it much better, do meals/drink deals etc 

Once people are in they’ll be spending more rather than in outside outlets - once people get into the habit on a regular basis it can only be good for the club 

In terms of the push for Sheffield music I’d suggest using the 10 minutes at half time to promote up and coming or unsigned local bands - either using the big screen or (more difficult) a pitch performance. Maybe do a new band of the month/season for the fans to vote on.

Following on from the music - can we use it for what it’s meant for - increase the atmosphere.

Sheffield music is great but so far it’s not served it’s purpose.

From 2.45 have music to rouse the crowd - build the atmosphere. 

The current choices just haven’t done it.

It might not be “cool” it might not be the choice of 50 year old men who drink real ale and discuss the record label of bands BUT it will get the crowd up for kick off.

The music so far has been bland in terms of crowd music 

You need to let go on the music side buddy because it’s gonna be Sheff music this season and rightly so

the build up will be rejigged until perfect however and the sound system is getting looked at 

time to evolve and make this OUR thing 

Owlstalk Shop

A personal gripe this one - might seem trivial to some but could also be easily rectified (imo) ...

The Official Site coverage of U23 & U18 fixtures

We're often given comprehensive match reports incl. line-ups, subs etc but the 'service' is far from reliable

Also, "Live Match Centre" appears to be a meaningless function

Who gets to update these pages?

It doesn't need a reporter, just someone to have a word with the relevant coach - simple  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onge said:

Not likely to be well received, but more retro merchandise with the old crest on it. Before we changed to the current crest, there were some retro scarfs with it on them so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

I think if you did a bit of research, you'd find we do a range of retro shirts badged appropriately.

58 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You need to let go on the music side buddy because it’s gonna be Sheff music this season and rightly so

the build up will be rejigged until perfect however and the sound system is getting looked at 

time to evolve and make this OUR thing 

All for it, just make it fit for purpose-so far it’s not been.

Agreed the sound system has not helped. 

45 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Don't know how they can do it, but the queues in the Wednesday Tap.

I quite like it in there, its not bad for an hour before kick off. But even on Wednesday night, the queue was nearly from the bar to the bottom of the room. It takes a while as well.

If people didn't sit/ stand near the bar area that would help.

1 hour ago, Kanye West said:

Don't know how they can do it, but the queues in the Wednesday Tap.

I quite like it in there, its not bad for an hour before kick off. But even on Wednesday night, the queue was nearly from the bar to the bottom of the room. It takes a while as well.

Been done to death but those drinks system that fill from the bottom of the glass 

As was said above somewhere. Opening the bottom of the West Stand - perhaps by branding it a basic ticket at £15 or £20 a time. Shouldn't upset ST holders or members if branded that way ,- as not every game, and all you get is a match ticket and limited facilities.

Should benefit the team as well by having Owls fans on all sides.

42 minutes ago, torres said:

All for it, just make it fit for purpose-so far it’s not been.

Agreed the sound system has not helped. 

Its brand new mate

We literally shoved it on the club a day before the first match

itll get refined

give it time

Owlstalk Shop