Jos a little patience

Hopefully our fans will now show the patience you urge.

Screaming for a new manager after 2 aways and one home!

Terrific win and excellent performance against a very good side tonight. Next up three lowly sides.

Patience with Jos, and patience with the guy who has invested more than any Chairman ever. 

Spot on. 

Lots of people seem to think money is the issue,  and it is. 

However building from the bottom up; scouting,  academy,  technical and medical support, financial structures,  commercial side,  community and fan outreach etc.  all take time. 

it might be that patience is an even rarer commodity than cash seems to be. 

Fans baulking, rightly or wrongly, at paying more money may find the real cost more difficult to bear, waiting. 

9 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Patience. Patience. Patience.

We're sick of being bloody patient. We've had years of crappola and when we got go bought we thought those days were over.

HMS wee wee the league and all that malarky.

We've spaffed millions at it. Got done over by some spivs out to line their own pockets and also bolster their own stockpile of young players.

We've made some real gaffes.  The euphoria carried us a long way. A feel good factor. But just not far enough.

There were cracks even in 'Year One'.

So we're where we are now.

Manager gone.

New one in. Money's dried up (or at least what we can throw at it) and things have come steaming to a stop.

Well do you know what...Good!

Yes. Good that things have steamed to a halt. Maybe now we'll put practises in place for the long term. Rather than gambling.

Maybe now we'll plan for the long term on the pitch as well as off it. Maybe now things will be done by people who know what they're doing.

Katrien has been brought in. With a bad rep from the Charlton fans. But lets she what she can do for us.

Having a proper working CEO at the club daily might just be one of the steps towards a proper strategy.

She got a club to pay Three quarters of a million pounds for Fox....so there's something there.

We've also got a manager.

A manager who was brought it to be the opposite of the previous incumbent.

A manager who our Dutch correspondent described in three short sentences.

What he’s about:

•  
  • Having total control off the pitch.
  • Discipline and a lot of it.
  • Will be no special treatment for anyone.

Well I'm all for that. I want a manager who has a say on who's in and who's out and not at the mercy of Spiv agents trying to hawk their wares.

I want a squad that is disciplined. Turns up to training on time and gives it the full gun.  I want players to know there are lines which don't get overstepped.

Now of course he had a decent impact but is finding this season tougher.

But before we throw the baby out with the bath water...just have a think about how quickly you think he can turn it around.  Realistically turn it around.

I'm sure Jos would like to be able to turn it around quicker. I'm sure he'd like the opportunity to have had some of the £30m we've spent before he came here.

But he can't. It's going to take longer. I'm sure he's as frustrated as we all are.

His job description has changed from last season

Last season his remit was simple

• Save us from the drop

This year it is to

• Challenge for Promotion. (But...  with even greater restraints than last year when staying up was considered a result!)

He has been given this task with the added issues of -:

• Refreshing the squad - but with no money
  • Reducing salary of the playing squad
  • Clearing out an aging squad and reducing it's size
  • Bedding in kids -who might or might not be ready
  • And he can't sign players

Now with the best will in the World. That is going to take time.

Carlos had two and a half years with the sort of money and players which any manager of the last 25 years could only have dreamed about.

Jos has come in and faces this at a worse time. Not only contending with that he's being grilled weekly on stuff of which he has no control.

It would take Ferguson years to sort this out.

So yes. It's frustrating. Yes we're sick of being asked for patience.

But we must acknowledge the circumstances have changed beyond all belief since "Year One."

I said I thought it would take him 3 windows to put his stamp on it. (and that was before the Embargo news- and subsequent lifting -(but still can't spend much)

In these new circumstances I think it might take 6 windows. Two years.

But do you know what - If we do things right. If we build properly.  

Then so be it for as far as I'm concerned.

So be it.

We might get some rubbish results. We might hang over the trapdoor all year.

There will be lots of changes. The young lads will have peaks and troughs.

But lets just forget about the Premier League dream for a while, all of us - and I include you in that Mr Chairman! - and concentrate on getting our act together.

In the mean time.

I'm backing Jos and the lads.

Might not be pretty. Might get darker before it gets lighter.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

I can wait a bit longer.

image.thumb.png.7984008f1badc9278727cee3030f5855.png

We've sold Fox?..

9 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Hopefully our fans will now show the patience you urge.

Screaming for a new manager after 2 aways and one home!

Terrific win and excellent performance against a very good side tonight. Next up three lowly sides.

Patience with Jos, and patience with the guy who has invested more than any Chairman ever. 

Very good performance. And showed, as we were told when he came that he's not afraid of making tough decisions when needed. 

There were a few startled faces when the team was announced. But clearly for him it's about picking the team based on what he thinks people can bring to it and not particularly who they are.

As I said, there will be ups and downs during this process of rebuilding. Esepcially with the kids. But long term its surely for the best.

4 out of the back 5 inc keeper come through out U23's.  For me that will always bring a warm smile to the face.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rev Owl said:

Spot on. 

Lots of people seem to think money is the issue,  and it is. 

However building from the bottom up; scouting,  academy,  technical and medical support, financial structures,  commercial side,  community and fan outreach etc.  all take time. 

it might be that patience is an even rarer commodity than cash seems to be. 

Fans baulking, rightly or wrongly, at paying more money may find the real cost more difficult to bear, waiting. 

Absolutley. We were trying to build a house on sand and hoping the tower reached the Premier League and we could then start to put things in place when the riches started pouring in.

IT was a gamble. A gamble that many people wouldn't have taken, but which people were keen to enjoy the ride on until the cracks appeared.

The long game is the important one. When you have an owner who has the finances he does then it's vital to build things correctly from the foundations.

Equally the same goes for the team in many ways.

Build the foundations.  The previous two years we just kept buying attackers. More icing on a dropping cake.

I do think that we have to give this manager time to do it.

I would have taken a while anyway, done properly, and will take even longer now.

But if it means securing the future. If it means putting things in place to ensure a balance then it can only be a good thing IMO.

The key will be the patience and given recent 'highs' I think, and can almost understand, that some peoples expectation levels of the team are too high for where we are in the rebuilding process.

• Like 1

It’s amazing how quiet the responses are to this thread. If we had lost and you had demanded a change you would have had 10 pages of replies. Urging patience after a fantastic win and 7 replies. Wonder why all the papers are full of reactionary journalism??? 

I think it’s sad you have to urge patience 4 games in. It should be standard that the manager gets more games to turn it around. To be fair I think the crowd at hillsborough last night spotted the tactic changed and that we started playing well from minute 1 so credit us Wednesday fans as we really got behind them from the get go. 

I really rate Jos and I can’t think of another manager with the courage to change tactics and throw in youngsters against a good team like Millwall. In Jos we trust. Bring on Saturday. 

Edited by tarn owl
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Patience. Patience. Patience.

We're sick of being bloody patient. We've had years of crappola and when we got go bought we thought those days were over.

HMS wee wee the league and all that malarky.

We've spaffed millions at it. Got done over by some spivs out to line their own pockets and also bolster their own stockpile of young players.

We've made some real gaffes.  The euphoria carried us a long way. A feel good factor. But just not far enough.

There were cracks even in 'Year One'.

So we're where we are now.

Manager gone.

New one in. Money's dried up (or at least what we can throw at it) and things have come steaming to a stop.

Well do you know what...Good!

Yes. Good that things have steamed to a halt. Maybe now we'll put practises in place for the long term. Rather than gambling.

Maybe now we'll plan for the long term on the pitch as well as off it. Maybe now things will be done by people who know what they're doing.

Katrien has been brought in. With a bad rep from the Charlton fans. But lets she what she can do for us.

Having a proper working CEO at the club daily might just be one of the steps towards a proper strategy.

She got a club to pay Three quarters of a million pounds for Fox....so there's something there.

We've also got a manager.

A manager who was brought it to be the opposite of the previous incumbent.

A manager who our Dutch correspondent described in three short sentences.

What he’s about:

•  
  • Having total control off the pitch.
  • Discipline and a lot of it.
  • Will be no special treatment for anyone.

Well I'm all for that. I want a manager who has a say on who's in and who's out and not at the mercy of Spiv agents trying to hawk their wares.

I want a squad that is disciplined. Turns up to training on time and gives it the full gun.  I want players to know there are lines which don't get overstepped.

Now of course he had a decent impact but is finding this season tougher.

But before we throw the baby out with the bath water...just have a think about how quickly you think he can turn it around.  Realistically turn it around.

I'm sure Jos would like to be able to turn it around quicker. I'm sure he'd like the opportunity to have had some of the £30m we've spent before he came here.

But he can't. It's going to take longer. I'm sure he's as frustrated as we all are.

His job description has changed from last season

Last season his remit was simple

• Save us from the drop

This year it is to

• Challenge for Promotion. (But...  with even greater restraints than last year when staying up was considered a result!)

He has been given this task with the added issues of -:

• Refreshing the squad - but with no money
  • Reducing salary of the playing squad
  • Clearing out an aging squad and reducing it's size
  • Bedding in kids -who might or might not be ready
  • And he can't sign players

Now with the best will in the World. That is going to take time.

Carlos had two and a half years with the sort of money and players which any manager of the last 25 years could only have dreamed about.

Jos has come in and faces this at a worse time. Not only contending with that he's being grilled weekly on stuff of which he has no control.

It would take Ferguson years to sort this out.

So yes. It's frustrating. Yes we're sick of being asked for patience.

But we must acknowledge the circumstances have changed beyond all belief since "Year One."

I said I thought it would take him 3 windows to put his stamp on it. (and that was before the Embargo news- and subsequent lifting -(but still can't spend much)

In these new circumstances I think it might take 6 windows. Two years.

But do you know what - If we do things right. If we build properly.  

Then so be it for as far as I'm concerned.

So be it.

We might get some rubbish results. We might hang over the trapdoor all year.

There will be lots of changes. The young lads will have peaks and troughs.

But lets just forget about the Premier League dream for a while, all of us - and I include you in that Mr Chairman! - and concentrate on getting our act together.

In the mean time.

I'm backing Jos and the lads.

Might not be pretty. Might get darker before it gets lighter.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

I can wait a bit longer.

image.thumb.png.7984008f1badc9278727cee3030f5855.png

At last, a sensible and realistic post based on our current circumstances. 

Edited by AwokenGiant
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AwokenGiant said:

At last, a sensible and realistic post based on our current circumstances. 

Deep down and folk dont want to admit it, is that is exactly how most feel but just love to get on this sacking merry go round.

8 hours ago, Hughthecone said:

Well put Snoots,I agree that we have to give time to Jos and the younger players,to set the foundations for the future,maybe I will never see the end result but I am positive that the promised land will be back sometime.

And here's the rub.

There's about 5 clubs in this country that ever win anything.

The old phrase "Life's a journey, not a destination."  I think lends itself to the life of a football fan.

Football is about every match. Every meet up with freinds. Every cheer, every tear.

But I think we (football fans in general) forget it along the way.

We tend to focus our excitement on the pot of gold we don't *enjoy the rainbow.

*with the possible exception of Hargeaves and his magic 'shroom tapas

• Like 1

He must be a good manager. 

Performances like that don't come out of nowhere. It was awesome, even had BTB drooling on FH.

Now we need some consistency. And for all the players to buy into it in every match. 

Edited by Beholder