Monstrosity of a starting line up

Despite an indifferent start, it is worth noting that Stoke (who have just come down and splashed the cash) are winless and just got dicked by Wigan at home 3-0. 

The Championship is a batsh*t mental league 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

Out of interest in what basis do you think is the right man?

tonights line up again appeared like he'd pulled names out of a hat. Not for the first time. 

He did relatively well last season given our circumstance then. I believe he needed this season to show us what he can do. Would have been better if he had the tools to actually improve the squad his way which looks unlikely now. He deserves a chance. He stopped is getting relegated last year which was a good start. I think hes making the best of a bad situation.

19 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

I don't think anyone has asked him to throw bottles or wave his arms around but a fair few, me included have wanted him to show more enthusiasm whilst on the touchline. One close win will not alter my view on that.

I'd like him to whip his scarf out, start to twirl it round, look sheepish as he's caught on camera, quietly put it away then smooth his tasche. And have a quiet smile to himself. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Despite an indifferent start, it is worth noting that Stoke (who have just come down and splashed the cash) are winless and just got dicked by Wigan at home 3-0. 

And no matter how many surprises there are each and every season, there will still be those who forever work under the assumption that it's really not much more complicated and unpredictable than a game of noughts and crosses.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Just seen it and thought......er, wow!! Here's hoping we're all saying what a master tactician Jos is at 9-45pm

What a master tactician Jos is!

The way he got every player  to pull their fingers out and give everything they had tonight must surely silence his critics. Well done Jos, well done players. 

UTO!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hotten Owl said:

I'd like him to whip his scarf out, start to twirl it round, look sheepish as he's caught on camera, quietly put it away then smooth his tasche. And have a quiet smile to himself. 

How about strutting down the touchline like John Travolta at the end of Saturday Night Fever?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

I never realised Jos was so popular! 1 win and he's a hero and a genius. 

Im delighted for the young lads and really hope they improve from the experience. Thorniley in particular was excellent. 

But over 46 games a line up like that sadly looks like relegation fodder. Even Sunderland won the odd game last season.

Im not trying to be critical of those particular players but the situation remains in the grand scheme of things. Just look at the money we've invested and then look at the back 5 we had out tonight. 

Prior to the game there were very few that agreed with that line up. 

Nobody thinks he is a genius based on tonight but that was the best we have been defensively in the league this season, hope he at least settles with that formation for a couple of games and gives it a chance.

Few agreed but plenty wanted Penney to be given a chance and Palmer at full-back rather than wing-back. Fewer still decided to throw their toys out of the pram completely........

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

And according to the stats, didn't even have a single shot on target at home against Wigan

Masterclass from a Gary Rowett side

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

when I saw that lineup I was expecting a massive defeat, but got to give to the lads today we huffed and we puffed and got a result, also the young lads looked alright too.

Theres one thing that frustrates me though, Im sure we are the only team that seems to look like they could win comfortably and then through it away towards the end. Never seen a team look so under pressure after going a head in a match for years and years.

4 hours ago, bazapeps said:

Seriously what the heck is that?

Are we supposed to believe that sort of line up can compete at this level?

We're paying top whack to watch line ups such as that tonight. Dear God

Late to the game on this one fella but like fellow Owlstalkers' I'm sure we all agree on the following regards yours .... 

ALL WEDNESDAY AREN'T WE X

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

Unbelievable reaction to a first win, it's like the whole past is forgotten.

Im delighted to win of course but some perspective is needed. I don't credit Jos (or whoever is responsible for that line up and tactics) in anyway way at all. 

Think you would have been better off taking it on the chin and being delighted that we got a deserved 3 points against an in-form side rather than back up your OP with this rubbish.

1 hour ago, daveomowl said:

Are you a sneaky pig!? 

59 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Nah, he's been posting b@llocks on here for years.

That doesn't mean he's not a pig.

Plenty of pigs have been posting b@llocks on here

for years!lol

16 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Wigan must be close to being top scorers so far, makes the 3 we conceded against them not as bad as it felt at the time! They should have won at the weekend as well.

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Sorry, I don't agree.

There's a big difference between saying that you weren't confident about our line-up before the game, especially after Sunday's showing and having a full-on tantrum where you declare that we were going to get hammered, that the manager hasn't got the tiniest clue what he's doing, that we're going to be relegated and all that hysteria..

It wasn't exactly a tantrum but I take your point. It's fine margins, had Millwall got the equaliser they were pushing for the OPs post would probably have paled into insignificance to the uproar on here - thankfully they didn't. Still got huge reservations over the manager and the fact he's playing 4-5 youngsters every game though.

Anyway great win and hopefully it pushes us on for the rest of the season.

I posted earlier in the thread about the line up. I still maintain that we have better players/line ups available, based on performances so far, BUT if we play with the energy and tempo like we did for most of the game we'll put more teams under pressure and come out with wins like today. 

Everyone played well and that is pleasing to say. I'll be honest and say I was still surprised by the subs too (as if FF had injury Saturday, I can just about understand him on the bench, but to put him on at 2 up seemed and unnecessary risk to me. And not putting hutch on for Preston - instead of Boyd - was risky for me at a time when we were being overrun in midfield). That's not a criticism in the face of a victory, just how I saw the game.

But I'm delighted we won and hopefully it sets a standard going forward, whatever line ups are used. 

Well done today boys.