One for the historians out there

21 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Can’t remember there being a Wednesday shop in the early 60’s to even buy a replica shirt.

Seem to remember one in the window at Sugg’s shop on the Moor though.

Anyone else remember how/if you could buy one in 1962.

Can't remember 1962, but later I had one..blue/ white sleeves...from suggs. Prob between 66/69...can't remember.

Went reyt baggy after one wash

3 hours ago, Blatter said:

It was unpopular. It didn’t look like the traditional Wednesday shirt as I remember. It was unusual to ditch it so quickly though because in those days a kit style would last several seasons.

People didn’t buy shirts in big numbers back then so it was no big deal.

Yep that’s as I remember it.

In hindsight,  I hadn’t realised we had it for such a short period but I do remember how no one liked it.

Its quite staggering, these days, to think you’d go to a match and there’d be no fans wearing a Wednesday shirt. 

Thats just how it was. Don’t think I even knew anyone that owned one. 

Flat caps and mufflers were what we wore at home ....and away .....and visiting fans wore the same. Happy days, eh?

8 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Yep that’s as I remember it.

In hindsight,  I hadn’t realised we had it for such a short period but I do remember how no one liked it.

Its quite staggering, these days, to think you’d go to a match and there’d be no fans wearing a Wednesday shirt. 

Thats just how it was. Don’t think I even knew anyone that owned one. 

Flat caps and mufflers were what we wore at home ....and away .....and visiting fans wore the same. Happy days, eh?

It was scarves bobble hats and rattles when I was younger, I seem to remember the replica kits becoming more popular in the late seventies.

Just now, The Dukeries Owl said:

It was scarves bobble hats and rattles when I was younger, I seem to remember the replica kits becoming more popular in the late seventies.

Yes you’re right mate.

It was scarves and bobble hats.

i just got carried away on a wave of nostalgia.

4 hours ago, chazzyowl said:

Just picked up this stunning piece of Wednesday history. An original 1962/63 home shirt, the one we played in for half a season and the inspiration for our shirt a couple seasons ago. It's an absolute stunner, made by Umbro using their classic Tangeru jersey fabric and seen here modelled by David Layne.  

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3301.JPG

Never heard of Tangeru fabric before.

Just googled and found it was invented by the Humphrey Brothers. It’s a shrink resistant soft cotton which helps explain why that shirt looks mint. 

Both wednesday and West Brom were the first teams to wear this fabric in an FA Cup final, which Umbro marketing exploited. 

How much is the shirt worth, it’s not a ride question?