One for the historians out there

Just picked up this stunning piece of Wednesday history. An original 1962/63 home shirt, the one we played in for half a season and the inspiration for our shirt a couple seasons ago. It's an absolute stunner, made by Umbro using their classic Tangeru jersey fabric and seen here modelled by David Layne.  

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3300.JPG

IMG_3301.JPG

IMG_3302.JPG

3 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Everyone thought it was  (a) Unlucky (b) not traditional (c) styled on a butchers apron.

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I'm sure I read somewhere once it was replaced so promptly because it wasn't very popular. Can't remember where that was though.

But that was back in the day when kits weren't routinely replaced every few weeks.

Good to know that even back then we were complaining about the style of kits. It's obviously in our blood. Cant imagine what the backlash was like when the plain body white sleeved shirt came out 3 years later.

10 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I'm sure I read somewhere once it was replaced so promptly because it wasn't very popular. Can't remember where that was though.

But that was back in the day when kits weren't routinely replaced every few weeks.

It was unpopular. It didn’t look like the traditional Wednesday shirt as I remember. It was unusual to ditch it so quickly though because in those days a kit style would last several seasons.

People didn’t buy shirts in big numbers back then so it was no big deal.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chazzyowl said:

Good to know that even back then we were complaining about the style of kits. It's obviously in our blood. Cant imagine what the backlash was like when the plain body white sleeved shirt came out 3 years later.

Actually in comparison with the butchers apron the reverse Arsenal shirt was quite well received. But in the day shirts weren't as well marketed as they are today. Buying a  badged shirt for instance was almost unheard of. The reverse Arsenal shirt is now quite well represented but this is on the back of the Chansiri version supplemented by several releases of the old retro version.

31 minutes ago, Blatter said:

It was unpopular. It didn’t look like the traditional Wednesday shirt as I remember. It was unusual to ditch it so quickly though because in those days a kit style would last several seasons.

People didn’t buy shirts in big numbers back then so it was no big deal.

Back in the day we had to have co-op coupons to get a School coat, a football shirt was not on me mums list.

Shirts didn't have any way of showing which club they belonged to as I remember; so a Barnsley shirt would be a Bristol City shirt and Manchester United shirt...it was like this with Subbuteo...the teams would be marketed as Sheffield Wednesday/Huddesrsfield Town/Brighton and Hove Albion. I cannot ever remember the Wednesday blue/white sleeve shirt ever sporting a badge. The retro shirts from TOFFS always have badges on but if you look at old photos very few teams wore a badge...but then players stayed at clubs all their careers so they didn't need to kiss the badge.

always thought it was the best kit we've had but it's not a traditional Wednesday kit so no surprise it didn't last long . ….they tried the stripes with long white sleeves around that time as well and that also bombed very quickly ..

2 hours ago, Watson said:

If I remember correctly I asked my Dad for a Wednesday shirt back in the late sixties he looked at me as if it was the strangest request ever.  Did they do kits for kids in those days?

Can’t remember there being a Wednesday shop in the early 60’s to even buy a replica shirt.

Seem to remember one in the window at Sugg’s shop on the Moor though.

Anyone else remember how/if you could buy one in 1962.

• Thanks 1

If I remember correctly I asked my Dad for a Wednesday shirt back in the late sixties he looked at me as if it was the strangest request ever.  Did they do kits for kids in those days?

I had Wednesday kit bought me for Christmas about 1970ish, I'll have been 7 at time so definitely a kids size. lol

• Thanks 1

I’ve still got my Wednesday shirt, purchased from Suggs in the mid 1950’s, it’s got traditional wide stripes with long sleeves and a collar, it’s also made from a very thick cotton fabric.

• Thanks 1