It’s too early to sack the manager. Our prombles run deeper than him

1 minute ago, doubleo said:

I'm concerned at the lack of pattern and consistancy. He should know his best 11, and stick to it, and the system, and stick to it. We are in a Division that requires the basics to be done right, that's all. We have players, and are playing against players, who are in the second level of English football for a reason. Get them playing to their strengths and keep it simple. I'm not bothered whether we play 4 4 2, 4 3 3, 5 3 2, 3 5 2, OR EVEN GOALYWAG, just something that the players understand and be effective with.

Goalie wag always used to confuse me because any game of togger is goalie wag. It’s in the rules.

Goalie Ness was a lot more radical and helped balance numbers better. 

Guest Hillsborough Mole
1 minute ago, torres said:

6 points this week would help ease that pressure.

We'd all take that option first

34 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Want an manager who is experienced of the Championship to get us organised and have a dull mid table season and plan for next season.

Again, though, that makes the assumption that there is a decent, experienced manager out there who is available and who is willing (or desperate enough) to take on a thankless job with minimal resources. Anyone half decent knows that they can wait for a better opportunity than us.

Questions need asking about tactics but some of players need to look at them sens in mirror. 

Desperatly need 2 good results and performances in these two home games or I fear the end is nigh for Jos, I can't see Chansiri giving him much time to come up with some positive results.

1 hour ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

I pretty much agree with this.

Look, I think rarely does getting rid of a manager solves all the problems, particularly when they run as deep as ours.

However, I'd really like to see some sort of clear method developing from Jos during his time here. He seems unsure of his best lineup or formation, he seems incapable of setting the team up to play on the front foot.

While last season he deserved plenty of slack, I think this year we really need to see some progression, at least in terms of method, if not immediately in terms of results.

I've found myself increasingly less convinced by him during his short tenure and right now, I think we are going backwards.

Excellent post

• Thanks 1

Yeah, he has been dealt a poor hand...but he's done very little to suggest he can turn the situation around. 

It's all very throw things at the wall and see what sticks. 

I'm not seeing any clear thought or philosophy on the pitch. 

One minute were playing possession based football then against Brentford we are hoofing it. 

Constantly meddling with the systems too. 

Not good enough. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the OP. Jos has been dealt a ridiculously bad hand and has pretty much being firefighting since day one. He definitely deserves some slack!  He’s not my cup of tea but I do think we should all get behind him.

If I was Jos now, I would go back to basics. Pick a system and stick with it. Do the simple things. He’s tried too

many systems and formations in the first 3 games and it does become confusing for the players. 

Guest Hillsborough Mole
1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I agree with the OP. Jos has been dealt a ridiculously bad hand and has pretty much being firefighting since day one. He definitely deserves some slack!  He’s not my cup of tea but I do think we should all get behind him.

If I was Jos now, I would go back to basics. Pick a system and stick with it. Do the simple things. He’s tried too

many systems and formations in the first 3 games and it does become confusing for the players. 

You contradict yourself

Hes either been played a bad hand - or hes playing his hand poorly.

One hes at fault for - the other he isnt.

We’ve got 1 point from 3 games which is a poor return with much better sides to play. We haven’t played any decent football and have been behind in all 3 games. Worried? Absolutely!

Jos simply does not suit us, it is clear to see this. He won’t be going anywhere for a while, Chansiri will give him until Christmas I reckon.

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Everybody saying its too early

Can I ask - genuinely - how much have you seen us play so far this year?

In the flesh

1 hour ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

I pretty much agree with this.

Look, I think rarely does getting rid of a manager solves all the problems, particularly when they run as deep as ours.

However, I'd really like to see some sort of clear method developing from Jos during his time here. He seems unsure of his best lineup or formation, he seems incapable of setting the team up to play on the front foot.

While last season he deserved plenty of slack, I think this year we really need to see some progression, at least in terms of method, if not immediately in terms of results.

I've found myself increasingly less convinced by him during his short tenure and right now, I think we are going backwards.

I thought there were definitely signs of progression last season and to just gloss over what a good job he did is very poor from some of our fans.

He inherited an injury ravaged unbalanced squad low on confidence sliding down the table.

He initially got the basics right albeit with a dour back five defensive mind set, it was exactly what we needed as we didn’t have the players to play any other way.

He made a few noteable mistakes along the way but managed to get players such as the previously discarded João and Nuhiu playing out of their skin to keep us just clear of the relegation battle.

Some of ou big hitters returned and Jos’ tactics evolved to reflect this - an attacking 343 in quite a few games. In the last ten games he averaged circa two points per game, not bad in anyone’s book.

Don’t think anyone can doubt a lack evolution there?

Fast forward to this season, the blokes lost 8 players including his best full back, his best RCB, his club captain an experienced right midfielder and our record signing. 

Hes is not been able to bring anyone in. The blokes on a hiding to nowt. Obvious fundamental weaknesses in the defence were all there to see but some fans were somewhat blind to it. 

The defence is the issue, it was always going to be. He, just like us fans does not know his best defence, probably down to the options being much of muchness and not as good as the two first choice defenders he lost. 

Jos had all pre season to sort this issue but hasn’t and it appears he’s nowhere near to finding our best back line. Until he remedies this massive problem we are going to struggle as it effects everything else in the side. You need a solid organised back line. 

Maybe we haven’t got good enough defenders to give him what he wants but he’s going to have to  decide on a back five or four and stick with it because this chopping and changing is only going to end up going one way - badly.

Look at last season, everyone could name our back 5 week in week out, the only issue being LWB. They may not have agreed with certain players but that is not the point. The players in the back 5 worked as a unit and knew exactly what they and their team mates around them were supposed to be doing. 

I’m hoping that he is given scope to bring in some reliable defenders to help him out as they would make such a difference to this side.

• Like 1

Played a bad hand? No, i don't think so.

Look at the players he's had at his disposal since he arrived. 

Westwood - one of the best keepers in the division

Tom Lees - easily one of the top 10 CB's in the division when he's given a role and played with a consistent partner

JVA - £2.5M+ signing that does show some signs of being a decent player at this level

Barry Bannan - top 5 midfielder in the division

Hutch - top quality CB/DM

Adam Reach - one of the most versatile players in the division that's actually reliable in all positions played

FF - one of the best players in the division

Joao - potential premier league player

Fletcher - experienced premier league player

Nuihu - hit form back end of last season

Jordan Rhodes - record speaks for itself - but fair enough we couldn't get him firing but Norwich seem to be able to

David Jones - reliable, consistent performer when played in his correct position

George Boyd - can play either wing and has premier league experience

Pudil - granted not great at LB, but still very solid at CB

On top of that, we've got Hooper, Lee, Matias and Winnall on their way back from injury. Plus all the promising youngsters too. The only real issues are players like Fox and Joey, the latter could be a very good player, he just doesn't know what his role is, like many of the players.

I'm sure there are plenty of managers in this division or currently out of a job who would be salivating at working with the likes of FF, Bannan et al.