Thorniley

Penney

Reach

Kirby

Bannan

Matias

Fletcher

Forestieri

533 works as long as the ref and the opposition don't notice. We could maybe sneak both Dawson and Wildsmith in net too. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

I think if we don’t it might be a genuine sign that he may have thrown the towel in.

I agree. Him saying we need to get promoted this season otherwise we will be in serious trouble. If he honestly thinks we can with this squad and management than he is going to be very disappointed at the end of the season, he needs to dig deep and bring in improvements, simple as that, and imo that is only to ensure we down get relegated. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

Whilst reluctant to play three young players in the back four, and feel like it asks a lot of Lees to guide them...I do feel like it’s our current best option.

Dawson

Baker

Lees

Thorniley

Penney

Matias

Bannan

Hutchinson

Reach/Boyd

Forestieri

Nuhiu 

subs: Wildsmith, Palmer, J.Lee, Pelupessy, Kirby, Preston, Fletcher

im assuming Joao and Pudil won’t make it and hoping Reach does.

back to basics, give FF as much freedom as possible. And Bannan for that matter. Never seen so much talent be limited so badly by tactics. Bannan can do more than just spray Hollywood balls about, and Hutchinson can do more than just tackle. He’s actually got an excellent passing range too. Use them better. 

12 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

At the risk of being overtly negative, I can't see what people see in Thorniley... I haven't seen much of the lad so I can only assume that Brentford was an anomaly because he really really struggled and it did look like men against boys at times. On that (perhaps highly unfair) basis:

Westwood

Hutch         Lees        JvA 

Baker                Pelupessy             Reach

Bannan

Forestieri

Matias                 Fletcher

Get players like Hutch and van Aken who are willing to play those forward passes on so that when our spine does ball retention passes we can capitalise instead of just doing more ball retention. Reach provides a deep forward thrust (oo-er) and Baker doesn't seem to mind getting forward when he can. One defensive midfielder in Pelupessy, let Bannan boss that midfield creative role with runners from deep and a Forestieri that will drop back to receive the ball and find pockets of space. Matias provides a bit of movement and pace for everyone to aim for too. 

I still reckon three at the back is best for the players we've currently got at our disposal, but ffs let's throw some positivity and attacking intent into it.

Thorniley wasn’t great against Brentford...but he’s also not exactly a model wing back. Not the quickest so wasn’t great getting forward and then, when he did, we were left open at the back.

He’s much much better at centre half. No nonsense.

16 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Won't see it. But I'd do this.

Very keen to get another look at the left back.

If it's all a bit much then I'd send Reach back there and give the Kirby lad a run in alongside Baz in front of Hutch.

And yes...I know, I know. "How's Boyd got in there. He was terrible other night" etc etc

I'm just keen to see what he can do in a role he knows, and we know, that he's a very good and proven player in.

if.png

2 at the back with 2 attacking full backs and 1 centre mid?! We would get mullered by the Eastbourne Rest Home XI playing that haha

WTF:

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

2 at the back with 2 attacking full backs and 1 centre mid?! We would get mullered by the Eastbourne Rest Home XI playing that haha

WTF:

giphy.gif

That is when we're attacking Minton, as you well know!

When we lose it we close ranks , drop behind the ball and go close down crazy on a half way line squeeze

snoot style2.png

Assuming Reach and Joao are back I'd go:

DAWSON

PALMER LEES PUDIL REACH

HUTCHINSON  BANNAN

MATIAS NUHIU JOAO FORESTIERI

Subs; Wildsmith, Baker, Jones, Fletcher, Borukov, Nielsen, Penney.

Forget ticka tacka football and passing it for hours amongst the back 6 only to launch it to one up front, get the ball forward quickly and get plenty of players round the ball.

Edited by mike312

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

3 out of 4 defenders with very little experience would be a worry for me. Slot one or two at most  in with experienced player alongside to help them out and give some guidance and encouragement. Midfield and front looks good.

There's a case to be made for Pudil at the back.

But to be honest...I'd rather see Thorniley given a good run in the side.

Baker and Palmer. throw a coin at the moment.

Left back.... there's a case for Reach and someone else in midfield.

But I'm just keen to see that lad again. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

giphy.gif

That is when we're attacking Minton, as you well know!

When we lose it we close ranks , drop behind the ball and go close down crazy on a half way line squeeze

snoot style2.png

At least you've thought about it, unlike many other folk.

Leaves you very open to the fast counter for me though, particularly with the quality of our full backs 

1 minute ago, mike312 said:

Assuming Reach and Joao are back I'd go:

DAWSON

PALMER LEES PUDIL PENNEY

HUTCHINSON  BANNAN

MATIAS NUHIU JOAO FORESTIERI

Subs; Wildsmith, Baker, Jones, Fletcher, Borukov, Nielsen, the young lad who came on the other day who's name escapes me.

Forget ticka tacka football and passing it for hours amongst the back 6 only to launch it to one up front, get the ball forward quickly and get plenty of players round the ball.

Ok great shout, no more ticka tacka and also let's get the big man up there, great shout :blush:

Just now, Minton said:

Leaves you very open to the fast counter for me though, particularly with the quality of our full backs 

Thats why only the midway press. Don't want to leave too much space behind for the arrowed ball in.

We can even do a 3/4 drop and press it there if we want. 

Yes. There's scope for this side and no mistake!

1 minute ago, Minton said:

Don't confuse lack of experience with lack of quality. At least they have pace to turn around and run back into defensive formation.

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Thats why only the midway press. Don't want to leave too much space behind for the arrowed ball in.

We can even do a 3/4 drop and press it there if we want. 

Yes. There's scope for this side and no mistake!

Personally I'd be playing a little more on the break

This is the dream team, I'd put Dave up top currently

lineup.png.93e81213f4562f402dfb0466cc345ed9.png

Edited by Minton
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, A12owl said:

That's been my thought for weeks s36.

Jo's doesn't read OT though.. 

Another reason for 442 is we dont have enough quality to play three centre halves . I dont trust Hutch ,, he is always liable to jump in and give a penalty away  . I would rather have pudil at centre half with Lees , but that would mean playing Fox at left back. 

A major issue for me on Sunday was the lack of protection our full backs got. Neither FF or Matias help enough.

Old fashioned but when things aren't going well resort back to 4 4 2