The I-Follow Service Thread

Just now, TheWednesday said:

I can try and answer your points, or we can just go this is rubbish, that is rubbish, etc and I leave you to it.

The audio keeps cutting out its that simple 

£4.50 pm is premium price for a product that is far from premium 

I don't really understand what you don't get 

Plus no refund policy, ye rite, when selling services they must be fit for purpose under the sale of goods and services acts missing approx 1/3 of the commentary firmly falls into the not fit for purpose 

I really don't care what Ifollows problem was thats their issue not mine 

1 hour ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

It's a bit more complicated than that...

Spoke to Rob after the game. He told me that he'd been having problems getting online before the game and during with the line going down. As for the commentary problems for the video feed Ifollows solution was to turn it off and on again. He told them no because of the earlier problems he'd had maintaining the feed. He was fuming bless him

I appreciate you are frustrated when things go wrong. Believe me I'm probably even more annoyed than you are.

I know what is wrong. I hear it from a lot of you who tell us and I actually talk to the people behind the scenes trying to improve it.

On this thread are two separate points that are being merged into one regarding technical problems on Sunday.

Point One, the issue about the commentary being low in the mix with the crowd drowning out the sound on the video has been happening since the first game away at Wigan. I know I heard it while on holiday and reported it.

The pairing of commentary and pictures is a new additional this season across the EFL after calls from fans of all clubs for it to happen. It involves several parties including NeuLion, ITN and ADI and isn't as straight forward as it may seem. You are mixing analogue with digital signals (Any technical posters who can explain this better please do so).

Currently what is happening is the audio feed from commentary is being placed over the top of the crowd effects from the camera, hence why it is drowning the sound out. If you were to listen to the same feed of commentary on the audio only version, you would be able to hear the big difference in sound quality as the two feeds aren't fused together.

I'm told, and this was today by NeuLion, that something has been changed and they hope these tethering problems have been resolved going forward. Let me know after Millwall.

Point Two about the commentary sound cutting out altogether was a local issue where the connection from the ground wasn't staying connected. We use the same kit as the BBC and just about every broadcaster in England. At half-time a different number was dialled into along with other changes and the signal didn't disconnect for the audio listener for the entire duration of the second half. 

The downside for those watching and listening (used loosely as you couldn't really hear the commentary well anyway) was that this new number wasn't set up to be paired with the pictures and time was against us at 3.55pm. This solution was better than carrying on the way it had been in the first half.

Edited by TheWednesday
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

How many season tickets would be sold, if you can pay £199 a season to watch every game live, compared to £500 - £700 to go to Hillsborough?

A fair question but there are two points, firstly watching the game live is a fundamentally a different experience to watching it online, I don't see lots of sth's swapping to an online ticket, for many it's an afternoon out and a social event not just watching the game. 

Secondly the technology now exists its not going to go away and clubs the size of Wednesday could sell, thousands of these memberships, whether £199 is the right figure is up for debate I was thinking of typing £249 but being a son of the white rose went for the lower figure lol

It's only a matter of time in 5 years time this will exist. In some form or other. 

11 minutes ago, TheWednesday said:

I appreciate you are frustrated when things go wrong. Believe me I'm probably even more annoyed than you are.

Thanks for the explanation, here's hoping for crystal clear commentary and 3 points on Wednesday!

1 minute ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

Thanks for the explanation, here's hoping for crystal clear commentary and 3 points on Wednesday!

Yes please and a game focusing purely on what is happening on the pitch rather than worrying about technical matters at the same time!

Edited by TheWednesday
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Turkey Owl said:

Better service compared to last year when we had no commentary and no score on the screen. If they get the volume of the commentary sorted i’ll Be an happy man. 

I agree I watched as I said on holiday when we played Wigan and thought it looked really good with the stats and score tabs on the screen and the sponsorship of FIFA. Definitely think it is heading in the right direction and fingers crossed they have now come up with the solution for this commentary mixing problem if what they told me today is correct.

Edited by TheWednesday

8 hours ago, tommo8 said:

Video quality was fine throughout for me (would be nice in future if they could look at including replays if possible though?).

Commentary in the first half was drowned out by the crowd (should be an easy fix in future), but in the second half, couldn't hear anything.

The commentary was just being picked up by the mic - it wasn't supposed to be there (we never had commentary last season). I imagine they were notified of the issue and fixed it for the second half.

Yesterday was the first match I've watched this season, and the service is a big improvement on last year. Hopefully it will keep getting better.

Live abroad and bought the full package last season and it was patchy at times but much better than anything we've her had before.  There was no audio last year so for clmmentary you had to do a pause and sync but the downside was you were behind the action in real time.  Not the end of the world as this often happens via streams watched via other methods.

Decided to go game by game this year mainly as a result of midweeks now on red button via Sky which will give me access to "proper" coverage via a new stream subscription I've paid and also because they get your money, people raise issues yet seemingly fuckall is done so at 6€ a game I will fill in the gaps.

The commentary is a welcome addition if you could hear it when it's working and if it stayed working but the video is much better so far this year reliability wise.

I quite enjoy the amateurish camera work and their frantic search for Brentford Babes yesterday and the lass in the grey top gave me some h/t entertainment in the downstairs bathroom.

Got sick of hearing "Pressure, Press, There You Go!" but Bannan's mini rant gave some insight and I enjoyed Brentford's pretty unique repertoire of strangely polite pisstaking chants as well as Knees Up Mother Brown.

Having the volume set to full to hear the commentary from the coalshed enhanced the very nice touch of providing some horrific audio feedback to make us feel at home although next door's cat died of a heart attack.

Still no reply from customer services with my issue btw.

Reported during yesterday’s game.

Pretty pish poor customer services.

Scam outfit.

Should’ve had the service tested and ready to go for the start of the season, not still trying to provide a service that is fit for purpose three games in. 

My two experiences with it were on the whole ok. Wigan away I thought the commentary was good and the quality was fine. Watched the game on Sunday and the picture was actually very good. Thought it might drop out at least once but it didn't. Shame the commentary wasn't audible but I get that that is a wider issue.

The customer service however is embarrassingly bad. I had an issue where they locked me out of my account last season for no reason and it took ages to get a decent response on the live chat. This year I had a question and it took five attempts at asking the same question to get something resembling an answer. Two live chat responses were in broken English and one was actually borderline rude and three different people on email where one basically made it sound like it was putting her out to reply. I don't want to sound like one of those people who complains about everything but if you're writing a complaint or asking for information you want it to be taken seriously. What I got was more a "Oh why are you asking me this".

I remember WednesdayPlayer weren't great with customer service but this bunch take it to a new level.

I thought the picture was reasonable although a bit surprised ‘720hd’ (not hd) is the highest resolution on offer. That said, it was a little stuttery during first 10min on WiFi so I switched to Ethernet and fine after that.

Audio problems were obviously down to a combination of glitches & gremlins (heard a lot of people talking about an audible ‘technical problems’ message loop which I never got, interestingly - is that just for audio-only customers? I did get the loud klaxon sound before a dropout, mind.) I presumed the mix problems were due to the crowd noise effectively being double-tracked between the commentary mics and the camera audio, but on second thoughts maybe the camera doesn’t capture audio - would seem daft to have that AND not seat the commentators somewhere better soundproofed.

By far my biggest gripe with the system is being forced to entirely disable my VPN to use it at all. That’s a privacy and security issue for me that will likely put me off in future. I understand why international rights issues might mean I have to temporarily disconnect it in order to register and pay, but once I’ve ‘bought the ticket’ so to speak - especially the most expensive one (UK, £10) - I should be able to use that ticket from any IP, and not have to completely switch off my privacy/security softwares for the entire 90-minute stream.

My ISP has no business knowing what sports I follow, what club I support, or anything else they can potentially use to sell my details on to yet more crappy mailing lists. iFollow needs to find a better workaround at the registration/billing stage to allow users to exercise their full legal rights to online privacy while using the service - a blanket VPN ban smacks of amateurism and anachronism for a major new web service launching in 2018/19.

Finally, I’d like to see more technical information on the iFollow site about the precise protocol being used for streaming and video display. Latest Firefox couldn’t display the plugin window at all on my new PC, logging in gave me an error box where the feed should’ve been, saying ‘Firefox can’t understand the address/protocol being requested’ or words to that effect. I had to download Chrome just to watch it. May be to do with cookie/tracker settings on my Firefox but again, no reason a paid one-off service should need any two-way access.

Dead against it, totally ruins the last truefan argument..

"Yea but did you go"

its the basic right of a proper football supporter...Takes the ground from under yer feet when yer feet have actually been in the errr...ground.

I'm gonna have to subscribe so I know when it freezes and drops out...Note the minute, then "Pretend" summatt happened...So I will sorta say..

"Yea but that in the 38th minute when Reach was etc etc"

Someone will reply "What you on about an' I will retort...

"Did you actually go"..Then smugly log off...

lol

Edited by asteener1867