Anyone Remember these?

I remember it only too well.  Could not wait for the first edition to come out, pestered my mum for ages.  Got the chart in issue one i remember, then collected the teams in the following issues.  Thought it was great, but a real pain moving them up and down the ladder.  Happy days!

• Like 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

9 minutes ago, Striggy said:

I remember it only too well.  Could not wait for the first edition to come out, pestered my mum for ages.  Got the chart in issue one i remember, then collected the teams in the following issues.  Thought it was great, but a real pain moving them up and down the ladder.  Happy days!

Of course when I said first edition, i meant the very first, 1969 ish i think.  It had been advertised on TV for ages.  Kept it up year after year with the ladders on my bedroom wall with varying degrees of interest depending on how well we were doing, went ages without an update if we were losing a lot, which in the 70's well . . . .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Striggy said:

Of course when I said first edition, i meant the very first, 1969 ish i think.  It had been advertised on TV for ages.  Kept it up year after year with the ladders on my bedroom wall with varying degrees of interest depending on how well we were doing, went ages without an update if we were losing a lot, which in the 70's well . . . .

Phew. Thanks for that mate. 

It was the early ones I did I realise that now.

I was getting a bit concerned as to why I was still doing them in 75/76 when I was in my late 20s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ibbo48 said:

Ha ha. Used to start off doing it each season then lost interest inside a month even though I’d gone to all the effort of pressing those little tabs out of the cards they were printed on.

league ladders - the dawning of the age when it was easy to realise the season was effectively over after 10 games....

lol

PS - my first one had Southport struggling at the bottom of div. 4 also!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Watson said:

Anyone remember a game called Logacta, played with dice to give the outcome of games?  Was quite a realistic game but a lot of work filling in all the results.   And Howzat which was a cricket game but there was also a football version can't remember the name.  Who needs football manager?

Hey mate it seems all the games back then seemed to involve a dice for some reason. Can remember Howzat but not a football version. Blow football was as brain testing as it got in our house..

Pencil Cricket that was another annoying little pastime.

It was such a relief to reach puberty and find there was more to life than rolling dice and blowing little balls around with a straw.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Hey mate it seems all the games back then seemed to involve a dice for some reason. Can remember Howzat but not a football version. Blow football was as brain testing as it got in our house..

Pencil Cricket that was another annoying little pastime.

It was such a relief to reach puberty and find there was more to life than rolling dice and blowing little balls around with a straw.

Subbuteo, of course, didn't have dice and when played properly was a brilliant game.  Cooper's toy shop in Rotherham ran tournaments and they were well supported.   With some even coming as far afield as Sheffield.

Just now, Watson said:

Subbuteo, of course, didn't have dice and when played properly was a brilliant game.  Cooper's toy shop in Rotherham ran tournaments and they were well supported.   With some even coming as far afield as Sheffield.

Yes you’re right of course. On reflection, neither did my train set. Just a bit of exaggeration on my part I’m afraid.

Could never get my head round Subbuteo and how it attracted such a massive following.

19 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Yes you’re right of course. On reflection, neither did my train set. Just a bit of exaggeration on my part I’m afraid.

Could never get my head round Subbuteo and how it attracted such a massive following.

If you followed the rules it allowed for a fast flowing game and not without its own skill set, which I never mastered.  

I preferred to be outside playing togger, and occasionally winning at World Cup.  

1 hour ago, Watson said:

Anyone remember a game called Logacta, played with dice to give the outcome of games?  Was quite a realistic game but a lot of work filling in all the results.   And Howzat which was a cricket game but there was also a football version can't remember the name.  Who needs football manager?

Remember Howzat well as we played for hours and made score cards up from the current test teams, usually England and India.  My brother still has it and we play occasionally, a long and thin metal 6 sided dice for batting, then another for the bowling side if you rolled an Howzat.  The football dice we had was a more traditional dice with Dribble, pass, tackle shoot etc.  If you rolled shoot you rolled the other dice for score, miss, saved etc,  Great games in a caravan at a wet seaside..

• Thanks 1