Dont know where we're going got no way of knowing driving on the road to where???

Ive just got back after what was throughly enjoyable day only spoiled by the 90 mins of football and it really will be a shame to see Griffin Park go. I know it's only 4 games into the new season and you may dismiss this as a meltdown however the group of us who went today were just attempting to be pragmatic. I'm a long time poster but this is forst thread. 

On the train back we were having a discussion about the direction of the club and what should be the course of action going forward. We appear to have stemed the threat of FFP or whatever it is called now for the moment with the lift of the embargo. Which means DC must have convinced the league there is a plan in place of how they will settle what is being widely reported as a fee of around 12 million pounds before the end of the season. The question is how do you magic 12 million pounds out of nowhere when DC is saying we will not be selling players? Ticket revenue is at max, the shop is well the shop, sponsorship still doesnt get you close so how?? Simply you have to sell players so option one and the most obvious would be FF who would fetch the best part of 10- 12 million pounds to a West Brom or a stoke. You as an individual may not rate him that highly but its what he is worth to our club and this in a January window IMO would be a fair market reflection if Gary Madine is a 6 million pound player to a Bolton. In short a sale of another would make up the loose change. Now before you jump for the pitch forks, is this one player worth sacrificing for the ability to let us rebuild a squad next season. Ideal world i would keep him here until the end of his career as he is a player I love to watch as he gets me on the edge of my seat and entertains me and thats one of the reasons I go. Option 2 and the more desirable and less realistic is we sell the deadwood but who buys the Abdi's, Jones, etc etc etc of this world for the money we would need? 

But If we find that 12 mill this year we are free to manouvre again next season to some degree not completly but can at least shape a new squad if we dont we cant, please correct me if im wrong but it really is that simple? 

Brentford appear to get a bit of a love in amongst our fans it maybe the style of football, the ground, the pubs, the play off who knows. Like them or loathe them however as a supporter you have to admire the club as a whole both on the business and playing side. It has a clear identity from top to bottom, they have a constant rotation of players, managers tend to hang around for roughly 3 years and move on. They always appear to play a similar brand of football and I do not profess to know much about them but they have a clear identity. Something we are severly lacking so how do you go about creating our own identity something we seemed to have stumbled on 2 seasons ago? Do you a go for broke again next year and hope to get promoted and repeat our current cycle or do you play the long game build a playing squad over time with no time frame on promotion? 

For what its worth this would be my view, as painful as it would be this season I would sell FF in January, renew Bannans contract immediately and build the squad around him based on quick one touch passing and pressing in defence. Similar to the one we saw in the season that saw us get to Wembley but with some pace. Replicated in the u23s and down if the first team play a certain way so should the academies so players are able to transition easier. You do not have to splash say 10 million pound on a striker but develop a scouting network finding the best player for the job you want within set parameters. I know this isnt football mamager but so far DC by his own omission has chucked 150 million pound or so at the club and got 1 good season and a penalty play off semi defeat to show for it. With 150 million over 3 years...that is football manager money in fact more than you get actually to staty with. Why not invest in the club by building a structure that allows the club to grow and thrive?  Lastly all other out of contract players should be allowed to move on in the summer with a noteable mention to Gary Hooper who if he were fit for prolonged periods of time would be renewed before Bannans for me. Joao maybe youngish but in his time here has been a nearly man. 

Again this is just ramblings and musings as who knows what will actually happen was just interested into seeing others views on what sort of identity do you want SWFC to have and how would you go about implementing it? 

• Like 2

A very good read.

Constructive criticism is a bit thin on the ground here today.

Sensible analysis even rarer.

We tried the short route with throwing money at it and it nearly worked.

Clearly the best option is along the lines you suggest.

Build and build and build.

Invest in infrastructure; scouting, academy, technical and medical support, backroom staff, commercial side, media relations and fan relations.

All of that takes time.

Patience is also in short supply at the moment at Hillsborough and in short supply all the time in football everywhere else.

Still we can dream. 

8 hours ago, Rev Owl said:

A very good read.

Constructive criticism is a bit thin on the ground here today.

Sensible analysis even rarer.

We tried the short route with throwing money at it and it nearly worked.

Clearly the best option is along the lines you suggest.

Build and build and build.

Invest in infrastructure; scouting, academy, technical and medical support, backroom staff, commercial side, media relations and fan relations.

All of that takes time.

Patience is also in short supply at the moment at Hillsborough and in short supply all the time in football everywhere else.

Still we can dream. 

Cheers bud, one suggestion that came up from it all and what we settled on the most likely outcome is FF to be sold. Followed by a struggle to stay up and DC potentially gets rid of Luhukay as he has stated he thinks this squad of players is good enough for promotion. 

Back to square one essentially but having stayed within the financial limit by selling only one player...somehow.