Brentford 2 - 0 #SWFC - Official Matchday Thread

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

Dave Jones can't even get on the subs bench.But we throw preston on???

This is really poor from Jos.

Agreed. Jones, Boyd, Westwood et al, if played correctly, offer badly needed experience to this side. They can't even make the bench. It's ridiculous.

46 minutes ago, Southside Owl said:

Good , I am glad that you don't mind anyone's colour , culture or birthplace being an obstacle to being a football manager. .And preferably we could change our personnel to suit a style of play..but due to the club's finances being somewhat hampered at the moment I fear that will not materialize..Personally I have been suggesting we all review JL's position in November, but if results don't improve quickly then the pressure will mount up.and again I don't mind where they are from ..but if it's one of the two options then young and bright rather than been there dunnit brigade..gets my vote...

This situation is far from irredeemable, were we to have the right people around Chansiri.

This season is going to be nondescript, and I think that's a fact which we will all have to accept.

We know what's gone wrong, and it cannot now be changed.

This time next year the crown jewels will most likely be gone, and that's another fact which we must accept. Their time has been and gone.

But they will bring money into the club, and it's what's done with that money which will define our future.

My fear is that the people Chansiri has around him will squander that money, and then we really will be in bother.

Guest Jack the Hat
2 hours ago, Samurai Blue said:

I think you’re obsessed with being a contrarian for the sake of it.

2 hours ago, slinger208b said:

Some people just like to throw flippant comments into internet land and are uncomfortable when challenged.

I don't slate the club and I always try to remain positive but sometimes look to offer objective opinions to widen horizons...

Or maybe some people have a lower tolerance for poor performances than other. Maybe just maybe consider that sometimes criticism is justified? You negged me earlier for saying Dawson and Nuhiu had bad games. Do you think they played well. Simple question requiring a simple yes or no answer!

9 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

This situation is far from irredeemable, were we to have the right people around Chansiri.

This season is going to be nondescript, and I think that's a fact which we will all have to accept.

We know what's gone wrong, and it cannot now be changed.

This time next year the crown jewels will most likely be gone, and that's another fact which we must accept. Their time has been and gone.

But they will bring money into the club, and it's what's done with that money which will define our future.

My fear is that the people Chansiri has around him will squander that money, and then we really will be in bother.

I was glad anyone would buy Wednesday tbh ..especially an individual rather than some faceless consortium who if it didn't work out would cut their losses and run for the hills..but it's true Chansiri really doesn't know about footie at all, never mind the English Championship and his choices upto now have turned out to be been poor..

I would be surprised if he went  down the British manager route immediately now especially after complaining that he 'listened' to the fans eg Jordan Rhodes ..ironically even if it's a good choice of manager !

And it is disappointing today cos they didn't bowl me over but looked relatively impressive at Sunderland.. I am Still going to aim for November though  unless it's really dire in the next  few..and when i state November I mean top 6 ! ..ha !

14 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Or maybe some people have a lower tolerance for poor performances than other. Maybe just maybe consider that sometimes criticism is justified? You negged me earlier for saying Dawson and Nuhiu had bad games. Do you think they played well. Simple question requiring a simple yes or no answer!

I don't remember reading that so if i "disagreed" (It's not a neg) then it must have been a mistake.

It's not about justification of criticism. I disagreed with their opinion of Dawson's performance.

They have their opinion, i have mine...

26 minutes ago, Southside Owl said:

I was glad anyone would buy Wednesday tbh ..especially an individual rather than some faceless consortium who if it didn't work out would cut their losses and run for the hills..but it's true Chansiri really doesn't know about footie at all, never mind the English Championship and his choices upto now have turned out to be been poor..

I would be surprised if he went  down the British manager route immediately now especially after complaining that he 'listened' to the fans eg Jordan Rhodes ..ironically even if it's a good choice of manager !

And it is disappointing today cos they didn't bowl me over but looked relatively impressive at Sunderland.. I am Still going to aim for November though  unless it's really dire in the next  few..and when i state November I mean top 6 ! ..ha !

Yes, I agree with you.

The first issue is that there's never been a clear statement, other than promotion in two years, about what our desired aim is.

It's all been sub rosa, hole-and-corner stuff.

If Chansiri said, that we're going to sell off the crown jewels, get as much as we can, and then start again with fresh faces, then the fans would probably buy into that as long as they were confident in those who are doing the recruiting.

A chairman needs to have a clear plan, and as yet there's been mainly muddled thinking.

I mean, is he going to really go for it, as Wolves did, or go the more prudent way?

We half-heartedly went for it.

How are we going to go up, for example?

Conservatively, or in the manner of Fulham?

We signed attacking players as an antidote to Gray's style, but then decided that we'd try and get promoted the 'Boro/Karanka way.

The appointment of Jos really sums it up, and that's not because I think he's a bad manager.

We are totally unsuited to the way he wants to play

It's a little like Brazil trying to play like Italy, and Italy trying to play like Brazil.

Guest Jack the Hat
16 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

I don't remember reading that so if i "disagreed" (It's not a neg) then it must have been a mistake.

It's not about justification of criticism. I disagreed with their opinion of Dawson's performance.

They have their opinion, i have mine...

No not you, the samurai dude

21 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes, I agree with you.

The first issue is that there's never been a clear statement, other than promotion in two years, about what our desired aim is.

It's all been sub rosa, hole-and-corner stuff.

If Chansiri said, that we're going to sell off the crown jewels, get as much as we can, and then start again with fresh faces, then the fans would probably buy into that as long as they were confident in those who are doing the recruiting.

A chairman needs to have a clear plan, and as yet there's been mainly muddled thinking.

I mean, is he going to really go for it, as Wolves did, or go the more prudent way?

We half-heartedly went for it.

How are we going to go up, for example?

Conservatively, or in the manner of Fulham?

We signed attacking players as an antidote to Gray's style, but then decided that we'd try and get promoted the 'Boro/Karanka way.

The appointment of Jos really sums it up, and that's not because I think he's a bad manager.

We are totally unsuited to the way he wants to play

It's a little like Brazil trying to play like Italy, and Italy trying to play like Brazil.

As we realise, the danger is that if and when Chansiri gets a football management team behind him they could be sharks, or as poor as he is in their decisions...

So if I was chairman for a day ..

I would stay patient in this current crisis..and wait until November to make a decision about Jos..(unless completely dire through August and September..and looking to be in  no way of being in a healthy league position by Nov).

Truly consider taking a risk and getting in a football person..please don't ask me who ..

Stop faffing about with kits, poorly thought out ideas about ticket prices, memberships etc

Do not make decisions on the back of some fans wishes then say it were nowt to do wi me mate..

Stop making potential enemies of the media however ridiculous they are in their demands..

As you say, no half hearted rubbish, either go for it or cut your cloth and stealthfully progress being open and honest and saying to us all,  look we are going to build from scratch, take risks with youth cos we ain't got owt else..

I still feel though that if and when we do get promoted to the prem then we can't rely on the old school way playing to keep us there.

There maybe a case for using methods suited to 'British' playing style to get us there n the first place  but it will have to change sooner or later ..

And apart from the Italians whoever wanted them to beat Brazil in that famous final !

And didn't the English style get knocked out then..

1 hour ago, Southside Owl said:

Hey up Braddo, what do you know about any link, it's just that I am researching and am interested..

Hi mate. I understand Katrien and Jos are from the same town or locality and I heard she already knew him and helped bring him to DC's attention. 

28 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

Hi mate. I understand Katrien and Jos are from the same town or locality and I heard she already knew him and helped bring him to DC's attention. 

Yeah , trying to get round to doing a thread about this, in pub question styley, just for fun of course no value judgements about any of the characters..

Yep most folk think Jos is Dutch and Katrien is Belgian..and of course they are , however..

Jos born in Venlo, in the province of Limburg, Netherlands.

Katrien born in Tongeren , in the province of Limburg, yes Limburg, Belgium.

59 miles apart, just down the E25 motorway...bit like us and maybe Hull ?

Not that far in the whole world of football.

And Limburg ? Ah that is the same province , principality of old it just straddles two modern countries..

Basically same county, bet they speak the same language..and wasn't Jos kicking around in London for awhile before getting the managers job, shortly after Katriens appointment at Hillsborough...when Katrien was still at Charlton Athletic..

Edited by Southside Owl

10 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

Nuhiu - “No”

Dawson - “Yes”

Guest Jack the Hat
1 hour ago, Samurai Blue said:

Nuhiu - “No”

Dawson - “Yes”

The star has given Dawson an eight so maybe I was harsh.

6 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

The star has given Dawson an eight so maybe I was harsh.

Fair enough mate. His handling certainly wasn't faultless, and I do feel that Westwood should be our no.1, but I think Dawson and Bannan were the only ones who came out of that game with much credit.

15 hours ago, TommyCraig said:

Very poor second half Wednesday. 

We need to keep Bannan, make him captain, get in whatever we can for sellable players and totally rebuild this team. All while trying to stay in this division. A very tall task by the looks of it. The youngsters were exposed today big time. Only plus for me was being able to watch the game on ifollow even if it was a stinker but bodes well for future viewing. WAWAW.

I was on ifollow, did your commentary drop out before half time and nothing second half apart from the crowd noise? 

2 hours ago, daleblue said:

I was on ifollow, did your commentary drop out before half time and nothing second half apart from the crowd noise? 

Yeah, apparently you don't get commentary with a video match pass. In the first half we were basically just hearing what the radio listeners on ifollow get because I guess the camera was close to the commenters. Which would explain why it was so quiet. That's what someone on here said anyway.

I still enjoyed the experience apart from the dire performance.