Wins a win. There were some good things.

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Blimey. 

Not sure what folks are expecting from a 2nd division side littered with kids in the first round of the cup. Hardly going to be Champions League standard.  Think it shows the general leveks of apathy..but there we go...

For me lots of thing arose from tonight. Some obvious that were aware of. Some little things positives team and individual to be built on. 

Wildsmith - 7 - I never felt worried. And that's how I judge my keepers. Whether they make me worry. Thought he looked relaxed tonight and as such so was I.

Palmer - 6- Thought Palmer did ok tonight. Don't get the overzealous hammerings. He was poor the other week and I'm sure some people must be replaying Wigan in their minds because he looked ok tonight. Couple of superb take downs actually from high punts. 

He's not always 100 switched on to danger. But then again he's a second division right back. Not Prime Cafu. 

Boyd -- Always surprised that people are surprised Boyd looks lost in his new role.   Not and never has been a defender.  After spending 15 years training as an attacking player every other day (how many sessions is that?) you can  see the confusion in him. Especially at wing back when he doesn't know when to go and when to stay.  Lookd completley tonight. But rather than slag him off . Is it any wonder. Thought he looked totally different in the last fifteen/twenty when he was allowed to flank Fletcher. You could see him shoulders relax and him be confident again. He even seemed to ditch the tractor he looks like he's pulling in the LWB role. Freed of that he  drew fouls fouls and played that super dummy for Fletcher.  If he's to have a future here....it had to be up that end of the pitch or there's no point.

Neilsen - 6- Like I don't go over the top hammering players saying they're the worst ever , I won't go over the top in praise either.  I thought the lad did ok. Wouldn't be raving about him, Thorniley give me much less panic,  but it's a step in the right direction and I think he can be proud of his performance he didn't let anyone down. And I thought looked more comfortable in a 2 at the end. 

Lees -7-- So much more comfortable in the middle. Likes heading,  likes tackling and that is the best place for him.

Van Aken -6- Not helped by playing on the same side as Boyd giving that flank a novice look. But even in an average performance ...he looked so much more comfortable LCB than central. He was actually wanting the ball. Hope the injury isn't a bad one. 

Hunt - 5.5 - Passed him by a wee bit. Though Reach was very advanced at times and left Bannan and Hunt a lot of shuttling to do. Nice to see a kid make his bow for the club . There will be other outings I'm sure. Always had his head up looking around all the time. A very good sign. Tough night but a great experience for him.

Reach -6- Grew into it, which seems to be a bit of a feature of his game, no doubt aided by his tremendous stamina. Also very clear to see him doing a lot more talking out on the park.  Think he's really growing into the club.

Lovely glanced header. But it it was the  travelling with the ball I 2 as Plas ed with, even though at times he missed the final part.

Bannan -7- Not the wee man's greatest game. Like Hunt I thought they had had a lot to do first half. Definitely suited the last 30 minute formation when be really got himself going in the right areas. We must get him in them  more. 

Fletcher 6.5 Some of his hold up play was terrific. Think he's a other getting too much hammer. Despite an age out and regaining match sharpness I also think his general fitness levels are as high ass I've seen them since he's been here. 

0_Sunderland-v-Sheffield-Wednesday-Carab

Matias -6- Lovely finish. Some with pace being prepared to take a gamble on getting behind and pressuring is something you always want in your team. Or available anyway.  Tracked as well as I've seen too. By which I mean he didn't throw himself in daftly. He actuslly tracked and marked.  

Kirby -6- Liked what I saw. Busy, prepared to make attacking gamble support run. And closes down quick and low. Think he had the advantage on Hunt that we had the extra body in there in the final 30 minutes which I belive helped ease him in and probably would have helped Hunt.

Expect to see him a squad regular...in the right system maybe even a first XI regular. 

Lee - N/A - Won't mark as not long enough for a full assessment but was tidy and made one  good block/interception.

Penney -6- Might seem a high score for a short appearance but there's reasons why. I can only judge games as I see them, and though he did nothing particularly eye catching  what did really impress me was..

A) No fear. He wanted the ball. Wasn't afraid to have it. It wasnt a hot spud to him. No problem or fear in making  passes in tight spots.

Did give and goes, instead of the the ok families give and watch that some do.

B) His running gait. Hear me out. He has a natural running gait. There's no jarring.Its fluid movement. Sounds daft but that's huge when I'm judging a player.  Most comfortable looking LB confidence wise I've seen in the last 18 months/2 years. I genuinly think in that 27 minutes he's staked a case. 

Jos-

:luhukay:

6- It was a professional performance from  his side. Not sparkling but job done.  Was pleased to see how he mixed things up when JVA went off. 

He could quite easily have put another centre half half (O'Grady was on the bench) but he was positive in making it a back 4 and getting another body in midfield and also one higher up freeing up Boyd and allowing Bannan to get on more  . (Though I'm sure this will be angled as him being  forced to..even though he could have just made like for like changes if he'd wanted. )

Overall. 

Knew we'd win even when they had all the ball at 0-0.

I never felt any undue nerves or panic. Though perhaps some mild boredom!  But the two things are different ...boredom doesn't aways equate total  sheeite. 

Pleased overall. 

• Two excellent goals.
  • 6 youth players involved in the action. 
  • Seen Jos show flexibilty and use a different system second half, to good effect too.

A good night's work. And some reasons to have a sage nod at a tricky tie navigated past.  

Different test Sunday. But plenty of things, good things , to think about. 

SPORT-PREVIEW-Sunderland-v-Sheffield-Wed

I like it better when you are talking of tightening the knap over the slate slabs. You'll never get the table spotted and baulk and 'D' line drawn. Sod Brentford, I'm hoping to take you on the best of 11 frames on Saturday night into Sunday.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OxonOwl said:

Fletcher looks a bit rusty but you can tell his brain is working. Can't wait for him to start really firing.

There's certainly a level of rust. But already enough there to show, I think,  what a big influence he can be when he has got the match momentum 

There was a change in tactics at half time. We brought onKirby who is more of a defensive player than Hunt who is passing player. The balance looked much better..Kirby dropped deeper behind Bannan and Reach which allowed them to make more impact at game Later in game it allowed us to replace Van Aken with Penney and go to back 4 and team looked even more comfortable.

• Like 1

Jos seems to have invented this tactic of having somebody marking their defensive midfield player.

He tried Hutch marking Morsy at Wigan which failed miserably as Hutch wandered about like a lost sheep and last night he put Reach on Cattermole first half which really limited Reach’s impact on the game.

Need to stop doing it .

If Reach is in the centre midfield he needs to be running past players like Cattermole and making them worry about him.

Edited by oldishowl