Wolves League Cup 1976

Can't remember that game....don't know why cos I was complete wednesday nut..hardly ever missed a game.

I remember once playing them in the cup...could have been league cup.

It went to penalties, we went 2-0 up but still lost. Cant remember when..20/25yrs ago?

1 hour ago, sherlyegg said:

Can't remember that game....don't know why cos I was complete wednesday nut..hardly ever missed a game.

It went to penalties, we went 2-0 up but still lost. Cant remember when..20/25yrs ago?

Yeah, fa cup replay about 94. Were winning the shootout including Pressman with the best penalty I have ever seen, then conspired to lose with Waddle and Bart-Williams amongst those who missed.

We also won one there in 2000 after a dire 0-0.

Same, here, I remember the pic, but not the game, and I travelled away nearly every game around then.

after 5 penalties we were 3-0 up then unbelievably the next 7 all went against us .

• Like 1

If my memory serves me right we went out in the 4th round losing to Everton 3-1 at Hillsborough, Tynan scoring a great goal for Wednesday and a certain Mick Lyons getting one of the Everton goals, over 30,000 in great atmosphere 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Yeah, fa cup replay about 94. Were winning the shootout including Pressman with the best penalty I have ever seen, then conspired to lose with Waddle and Bart-Williams amongst those who missed.

We also won one there in 2000 after a dire 0-0.

Yeah its all coming back now..when pressman came forward we thought bloody ell why?. Then he smashed it nobody in the world could have saved it

9 minutes ago, S A Andy said:

I think that was the following year 1977?

Yes I think you're right aswell.....36000 for a league cup 4th round game and Wedneday were in the third division , we would be struggling aswell at the start of that season so that is an unbelievable crowd , just shows you what the cup meant back then though !

9 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Yeah its all coming back now..when pressman came forward we thought bloody ell why?. Then he smashed it nobody in the world could have saved it

Only Wedneday could go 3-0 up in a penalty shoot out and still lose 

That was the night that cemented it for me, pointed me down the path of righteousness!

vastly outnumbered but Wednesdayites refused to give an inch.

Just an awe struck 15 year old who wagged school with 6 mates, rolled up Levi’s and silver sprayed Doc Martens, never known comeraderie like it, unmoveable!

Then Sir Roger , in front of the delirious few delivered a pose that Willem Defoe copied years later!

The original “platoon”!

I was there ......

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Watto said:

76-77 season , it was a great result in a very difficult time for the club , think Wolves were a 1st Division team at the time and we were in the 3rd and this was when teams played their strongest team for every game.

He's here he's there he's every f****n where Rodger wylde, Rodger wylde !

Was at the game. Wolves were in the 2nd division that season but went back up under Sammy Cheung. We were on their South Bank and it was getting very naughty so left five minutes before the end to avoid trouble and missed the winner! My first ever away game where we won too!

• Like 1

We got off to a poor start that season,we lost at portvale on the saturday before the wolves match,we were absolutely dire.

Wylde and Potts were the rare becons of hope,we loaned in Bobby Hope and recrited the brilliant Paul Bradshaw from burnley,we looked nailed on to dip down at wolves but bust the odds on a superb night for all that travelled.Potts got the first and oscar sealed it,hammered Watford next round,think it was Ashursts first full season,memorable night as we went there with little or no expectations,Wyldes winner was pure class.

There was a fair bit of afters once we all turned out,proud to say our boys did the biz off the field as well :stuwinky:

• Like 1