Player Ratings

1 minute ago, S1Owl said:

Matias tracking back ain't something I've seen before.. He looks hungry and when I met him in town once he loves it here and is putting lots of effort in to stay.. My man of the match. 

Don't agree with your MOM award but do see exactly where you are coming from. There is a footballer in there somewhere hope things go well for him on the pitch !

• Like 1

Just now, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Nielsen definitely has a lot of potential. Yes he's a little slow and clumsy, but he's a big lad who can man handle attackers and easily win headers. That's half the battle when it comes to defending.

You add composure and concentration and there's huge potential there.

Couldn’t agree more! People said clumsy and slow about so many CBs that have gone on to be good to great! Off top of my head, Maguire, Flint, Morrison all of which I’d love if we could afford.... seeing as that we can’t this lad could be great on season or two if we stick with him and teach him to be a bit of a nasty ****! 

Bit it of a big friendly giant at moment! But hugely exciting prospect! 

Against a decent champ side some players might score lower but thought lots of effort and a pro job.

Looked more solid and got higher up pitch when a fluid 442 with another body in midfield too.

Penney looked far better than fox, composed and decent on ball, ready for a run given our deficiency there imo

Wildsmith 6

Palmer 6

Nielsen 7 quite mobile and decent passer despite target man beating size, ready if needed imo

Lees 7

van Aken 7 looked better, not as solid looking as nielson but great goal saving tackle 

Boyd 4 can run but still cant kick it 

Hunt 5

Bannan 8 a clinical strikers dream

Reach 7 athlete/machine

Fletcher 6 looks sharper and more mobile than nuhiu but needs nuhius composure or will continue firing blanks

Matias 7 some good tracking back, a goal and 1 cleared off line, hopefully at least on bench sunday and not injured after a couple of scrapes.

Time to ditch 532, we lose midfield battle due to extra cb and end up on back foot, 433/442 needed

Edited by Ash77

Wildsmith 6 - had nothing to do.

Nielsen 6 - commanding in the air but a little unsteady with small/quick players.

Lees 7 - solid and dependable at the back.

Van Aken 7 - couple of important blocks and headers before he was injured.

Palmer 6 - improved 2nd half defensively but has to offer more in attack.

Hunt 6 - game passed him by but didn't do anything wrong.

Bannan 8 - instrumental in everything good we did and always looked forwards.

Reach 7 - busy as ever and a great outlet when running with the ball.

Boyd 6 - unsteady 1st half and needs to be LM but the formation doesn't allow.

Matias 6 - took his goal well and supported Fletcher but we need more from him.

Fletcher 7 - won some really good headers and was always looking to get in behind.

Kirby 7 - impressive when he came on, screened the defence and got forwards.

Penney 6 - few tidy touches but no real chance to impress but did ok.

Lee 5 - not on the pitch long enough to make any real impact.

Wildsmith 7 - relatively untroubled but commanded his box well, released the ball nice and quickly to start counter-attacks on a few occasions as well.

Palmer 6 - I'll fall in the middle of the debate and say he did OK, albeit I still don't really rate him. He drove us forward fairly well but there was space to be exploited behind him and his crossing is poor.

Nielsen 6 - grew into the game

Lees 7 - did an excellent job of marshalling the defence

Van Aken 5 - looked wobbly early on but started to improve and put in a great tackle at the end of the half

Boyd 3 - he's really not a left wing back and I really hope Jos has recognised that after tonight, that's twice he's been really poor in that position at the Stadium of Light

Bannan 7 - was our creative hub as ever and worked hard, albeit his work rate actually tends to drag him a bit too deep in his desperation to get the ball moving quicker

Hunt 5 - looked a bit lightweight but was neat and tidy in his 45 minutes

Reach 7 - linked play well and had a well taken goal, good performance

Matias 6 - spent a lot of time chasing balls in behind to no avail, but did well to get a goal through his own pressing

Fletcher 5 - not happening for him atm despite a good work rate, he kept getting caught offside and never really got a shooting opportunity

Kirby 7 - impressed me with his work rate and confidence in driving forward

10 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Wildsmith 6

Palmer 4

Nielsen 5

Lees 6

van Aken 4

Boyd 3

Hunt 5 

Bannan 8

Reach 5

Fletcher 5

Matias 7

Youve got to be kidding. 

Fletcher led the line well and worked hard.

reach was decent.

Palmer and neilsen played very well.

van aken was steady enough.

boyd is the only one I agree with I thought he was very poor.

1 minute ago, ka58 said:

Youve got to be kidding. 

Fletcher led the line well and worked hard.

reach was decent.

Palmer and neilsen played very well.

van aken was steady enough.

boyd is the only one I agree with I thought he was very poor.

Nope it was very poor. Fletcher worked hard but had little to feed off and was caught offside far too often. Looked leggy and wasn’t as good as Saturday which is understandable as he’s beeen out a while.

Reach was shocking had two decent runs in the last 14 mins but bar that anonymous. Good header tho.

Palmer did ok for Palmer but he’s just not up to it. Watch him when tracking back he’s lazy and I can’t forgove that (33rd min is clear example). Nielson doesn’t look great to me. Slow on the ball and positionally not great: good size tho.

van Aken was all over. Good block just before half time the only good moment.

Boyd pathetic.

overall we were poor. Negative and second best for most parts. Very underwhelming.

Gonna be a long hard season

taking 5 as an average performance 

wildsmith  5

palmer ...6

nielsen ..5 

lees ….6 

van aken 5 

boyd ,,,,5

reach 6

bannan6 

hunt ..5 ,,,,1st time I seen him so not sure if that was his average game 

fletcher ..6 ,,,,would have been a 5 but deserves one  more for looking after his hair 

matias  5 

don't think anyone stood out as having a very  good game but the 6s were decent and the 5s didn't let themselves down .

2 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Wildsmith  -  6  Untroubled, one smart save second half

Neilsen  -  5    Distribution was pretty good but looks a bit cumbersome and uncomfortable when attacked on the floor

Lees  -  8    Very assured

Van Aken  -  4    Looks woefully short on confidence, was just starting to improve slightly when he got injured

Palmer  -    5    Usual stuff

Bannan  -  8    Praying he didn't get injured when the tackles were flying in, quality shone through

Hunt   -   5   Looked very nervous, will be better for tonight

Boyd   -   1   Chriiiiist where to start...………….either hit the first man or gave the ball away EVERY time he had it, looked painfully slow and weak, and it was actually quite embarrassing just how awful he was.

Reach  -   7   Non existent for first 30 mins but steadily got better as the game went on , good finish.

Fletcher   -  6   Worked very hard again, just lacking the final touch at the moment

Matias  -  6   looked lively till he tired....smart finish

Kirby  -   6    Started slowly but grew into game well

Penney   6   Looked very assured when he came on...….just has the look of a player about him

What's up with Boyd?  He seems to have rapidly declined from the high energy player, who had a few good season in the Premier League. 

Another one for the Wednesday graveyard

Not checked this on the tele yet but from my vantage point 6 miles up Palmer seemed to completely nesh a 50/50 near the end and also hacked one out for a throw when he had no awareness of who was around him (which was no one)

Those 2 instances alone mean a cap of 4 should be applied to any score

Wildsmith 7

Palmer 6

Nielsen 6 

Lees 7

Van Aken 6

Boyd 4

Bannan 8

Hunt 5

Reach 7

Matias 7

Fletcher 7

Kirby 7

Penney 6

J Lee 6

Thought Kirby looked good. Read the game well and got some good interceptions in and calm on the ball. Penney looked comfortable at left back (don't feel anyone benefits from Boyd playing there) and deserves another chance.

First half they pressed us well and our defence looked shaky. Not helped by midfield: Reach being too advanced and Hunt being nervous (understandable on his debut). 

We're gonna have to be patient with these kids. Nielsen looked ok but lacks that confidence that only comes with experience. Hopefully him and the rest don't get relied on too much with injuries and get the chance to play without too much pressure.

6 hours ago, Ian said:

Not checked this on the tele yet but from my vantage point 6 miles up Palmer seemed to completely nesh a 50/50 near the end and also hacked one out for a throw when he had no awareness of who was around him (which was no one)

Those 2 instances alone mean a cap of 4 should be applied to any score

The one where he hacked it out for the throw when there was no one around him was Wildsmiths fault for not shouting him that he was ok. Palmer couldn't see who was behind him obviously and couldn't take the chance in case someone was there, Joe was looking straight at him and should have let him know.