Young Keeper signs new deal

16 hours ago, marcx666 said:

“For a big club like Sheffield Wednesday to have two goalkeepers from the academy playing in the Championship, it makes you think ‘wow’, you really have a chance at this club.

Thats the bit that caught my eye, if young players can see they will have a chance of playing for the first team if they are good enough and work hard enough, more will stay, and more will want to join us.

Until they look into how we treated Hirst. 

We seem to be doing same with keepers as we did with strikers last year.  We don't need 5 professional keepers.  The interview suggests McCulloch is expecting to play for U23's...surely that's where Wildsmith and/or Westwood should be playing whilst  Dawson is no 1.  It's great we're bringing kids through and have strength in depth, but we can't afford it. Even if we could afford it l, we can't keep them all happy and shouldn't be doing it.

The academy isn't just to bring players through for first team, surely its also to bring the others through at a good enough standard so we can sell them on to othersl teams.  At least, that's what everyone else academy seems to do - perhaps after a few first team run outs.   We can't just stockpile them and/or wait till they leave us for free.  Well we can, but doesn't make any  commercial sense   I guess we could be in the cycle now, building up a squad with some young saleable assets, but I fear we are repeating previous mistakes. I'm sure it isn't just related to keepers either. 

Edited by AsioOtus