Young Keeper signs new deal

Large

Young goalkeeper Cameron McCulloch has put pen to paper on a professional contract with the Owls.

The shot-stopper joined Wednesday on trial in the summer and now signs with the club full time.

McCulloch, who has enjoyed spells with Liverpool, Manchester City and Bury, was delighted to commit to the Owls.

The custodian said: “I’m very happy to sign for Sheffield Wednesday.

“It’s an intense environment coming on trial at a professional football club, but you’ve got to grab it with both hands.

“I’ve been welcomed into the group, they have been very co-operative with me.

“For a big club like Sheffield Wednesday to have two goalkeepers from the academy playing in the Championship, it makes you think ‘wow’, you really have a chance at this club.

“I’m looking forward to getting some game time with the Under-23s and then hopefully I can push towards training with the first team.” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“For a big club like Sheffield Wednesday to have two goalkeepers from the academy playing in the Championship, it makes you think ‘wow’, you really have a chance at this club.

Thats the bit that caught my eye, if young players can see they will have a chance of playing for the first team if they are good enough and work hard enough, more will stay, and more will want to join us.

6 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Thats the bit that caught my eye, if young players can see they will have a chance of playing for the first team if they are good enough and work hard enough, more will stay, and more will want to join us.

And if we are as hard up as it appears that’s exactly why we need to persevere with younguns like them, Baker and co. 

We wont be able to compete with finances so they need another reason to join us!! 

16 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

And if we are as hard up as it appears that’s exactly why we need to persevere with younguns like them, Baker and co. 

We wont be able to compete with finances so they need another reason to join us!! 

Maybe go down the path of option 11 in the survey, just so we're all singing from the same hymn sheet like. Option 12 seems a bit outdated. Yes / No?

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 17.21.12.png

16 minutes ago, Walt said:

Maybe go down the path of option 11 in the survey, just so we're all singing from the same hymn sheet like. Option 12 seems a bit outdated. Yes / No?

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 17.21.12.png

Well I think they still going at same level of investment.... that is maximum, to my knowledge we are not allowed to invest any more. 

6 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Well I think they still going at same level of investment.... that is maximum, to my knowledge we are not allowed to invest any more. 

Ok, we've let 8 players go, some sold, some released but yet we are going at the same level of investment? Don't see how that can compute in anyone book. Seems to me like we are just now trying to adhere to the rules whereas previously we invested heavily and overspent. 

I've personally no problem in being a club that tries the approach of blooding youngsters instead of paying for 'proven experienced quality' so long as the prices and ambitions reflect this. Looks like we've been forced down this route anyway, just hope the youngsters are ready to step up and that we give them encouragement if they make mistakes. People paying expensive prices leads quite rightly to ambition, that would be my worry.

1 minute ago, Walt said:

Ok, we've let 8 players go, some sold, some released but yet we are going at the same level of investment? Don't see how that can compute in anyone book. Seems to me like we are just now trying to adhere to the rules whereas previously we invested heavily and overspent. 

I've personally no problem in being a club that tries the approach of blooding youngsters instead of paying for 'proven experienced quality' so long as the prices and ambitions reflect this. Looks like we've been forced down this route anyway, just hope the youngsters are ready to step up and that we give them encouragement if they make mistakes. People paying expensive prices leads quite rightly to ambition, that would be my worry.

I guess it depends how you look at it. 

Last season spending more than allowed, this season still spending more than allowed. 

22 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I guess it depends how you look at it. 

Last season spending more than allowed, this season still spending more than allowed. 

Sounds like second hand car salesman speak to me.

Now we bring the ‘rules’into the equation after apparently showing little regard  for them in the previous seasons. After all isn’t that how we got in this mess, gambling by overspending and now having to drastically reduce that spending?

Don’t answer that one mate, it’s not worth it is it as we will never agree and it’s been done a million times. 

We are where we are and to me on the footballing side we look in trouble because of our limited options in the backline. I hope some of the young ones can step up to the plate as Jos is going to need every bit of help in getting out of this mess.