Students

Another ticketing thread / question....

Thousands of 'em will be turning up in Sheffield in a few weeks time and making the city their home for at least the next 3 years.

Do we do anything to pull them over to Hillsborough? genuine question, as i don't know and we may well be doing all sorts in which case, it might be just me that can't see it,  but below from SHU website is the approach the other lot took last season. Admittedly the Sty is going to be more convenient for most living in student halls, but i'd like to think we are doing something??  Mate of mine's lad is a West Ham fan, but studied in Sheffield and made Wednesday his second team and still gets to S6 3 or 4 times a season since finishing at Uni 5 years ago.

iI you're studying at Hallam, you're going to have to choose whether you're a Blade (Sheffield United) or an Owl (Sheffield Wednesday)!
To help you decide, Sheffield United are offering a huge discount on tickets for all term time home fixtures.
Head down to your nearest Sheffield Hallam Active Gym to purchase your ticket for just £10 - saving a massive 50% on the general admission price!
Tickets are subject to availability and only available when you show your SHUCard!

Ours and United's business plans are different.

We charge to maximise ticket revenue, United charge to put bums on seats. That's why Wednesday's ticket revenue dwarfs United's. So, I can't see us giving students cheap tickets - it's not our plan.

PS, wonder how many of those students purchase £10 tickets and flog them on for a profit (but still cheaper than full price)....

1 minute ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

We charge to maximise ticket revenue, United charge to put bums on seats. That's why Wednesday's ticket revenue dwarfs United's. So, I can't see us giving students cheap tickets - it's not our plan.

PS, wonder how many of those students purchase £10 tickets and flog them on for a profit (but still cheaper than full price)....

Only the business students do that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

We do offer discounted tickets to students - but they're still more expensive than United's which means that as neutrals (at least initially) they're far more likely to head in that direction and pay the cheaper option when the two teams are in the same division.

We need income and floater fans - what fans are better than Student for floater fans. Offer entry for £15 a game and a free beers at the Wednesday Tap. Gets extra income in, get people using the tap and also buy more than their one free beer. 

I have friends who came to Sheffield for uni in the 90's and going to watch the team with the student pack then they got hook and have been Owls for 20+ years. 

We don't have a short term plan to improve the finances at the club so does it surprise anyone that we don't have any longer term plan to grow the fan base either. 

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

We need income and floater fans - what fans are better than Student for floater fans. Offer entry for £15 a game and a free beers at the Wednesday Tap. Gets extra income in, get people using the tap and also buy more than their one free beer. 

I have friends who came to Sheffield for uni in the 90's and going to watch the team with the student pack then they got hook and have been Owls for 20+ years. 

We don't have a short term plan to improve the finances at the club so does it surprise anyone that we don't have any longer term plan to grow the fan base either. 

Everyone will get their student mates to get them tickets. Isn't the Wednesday Tap a separate business?  

If you charged students less to get in that would be a benefit if they weren't going to go anyway. At £30+ pounds a pop that's the likely situation. Anyone going along and POTG, who wasn't going to, adds to the revenue without being a cost.

Therefore getting students to come increases revenue short term and hopefully long term too. 

50 students at £10 each x 20 games is £10,000 extra revenue.

There are 60,000 students between two universities. 

It's worth thinking about. 

2 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Slightly tangential point on this - I was looking at the BBC's Price of Football thing that came out the other day and noticed that United's ticket sales made up the highest proportion of revenue of any club in the country by quite a large gap, I wonder why that is?

55 minutes ago, The Claw said:

thought there was concessions already? 

And there might well be, but are SWFC promoting it enough? Fresher week coming up; surely a stand in the SU buildings alongside all the other local businesses (gyms, restaurants, bars, public transport etc) that will no doubt be present and trying to attract interest from thousands of potential new customers cant be too difficult. Just get the feeling that we miss a massive trick and i hope im wrong and that the commercial dept have big plans in hand - the influx happens every year and both Sheffield Unis are big on sport, so probably plenty of young layabouts looking for something to do on a Saturday afternoon.

2 hours ago, s.armo said:

I work at the University of Sheffield and we do cheap tickets for students .The trouble is ours are twice the price than the pigs and they do ticket plus food or drink. We are missing a good casual support here.

700.gif

Guest Grez Bez

Agreed, this is a huge opportunity.

We should get a large stand at Fresher’s week; take down some of the injured players and coaching staff. Give away a few goodies, cheap T-shirts, pens, bags etc… and offer cheap tickets. £15 a ticket including a pie and a pint or something similar.

Ideally we’d offer a cheap tickets with a ton of free booze thrown in; that would get them down. We can throw them in the corner if needed!

Guest The Claw

the club could cordon of a part of the south stand where the majority of the empty seats are at one or other of the ends and allocate them to the students for a £5er each, they should be made to wear a black tshirt just like the ultras - it would look great when they are all pissed and throwing up