Sheffield Wednesday Ladies FC

3 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

After the very justified question of why we don't have a women's team, and what the club is doing to change it, it's time to press the club again on the matter. It's time we got into the modern world and promote this big time, a successful women's team could really contribute to bringing some of those 'non paying customers' to Hillsborough. 

Thoughts?

Neither Wednesday or United have a high profile women's team, but Sheffield FC have a team in the Women's Super League eg in the top flight with the likes of the Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal.

So do we really want to be competing with them or support the exisiting successful women's team in the city?

Guest Grez Bez
5 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Neither Wednesday or United have a high profile women's team, but Sheffield FC have a team in the Women's Super League eg in the top flight with the likes of the Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal.

So do we really want to be competing with them or support the exisiting successful women's team in the city?

Uniteds team are in the division above Sheffield FC

I made a post about this subject and unbelievably it was taken down. I can only presume it was deemed sexist, which is ridiculous. 

I'm of the view that Sheffield should have a Ladies team attached to neither club. I saw a mock up picture of a new 5000 seater stadium to be built at Attercliffe and it had SUFC women all over it. That has alienated most of us straight away. Why not break boundaries, do it alone without the backing of a men's club. Choose your own name. Get Sheffield behind you and become the best team in the country. 

I'd go if it didn't clash with Wednesday games. Its a good watch and a bit daft to compare to mens game.

Name suggestions please.

40 minutes ago, TommyCraig said:

I made a post about this subject and unbelievably it was taken down. I can only presume it was deemed sexist, which is ridiculous. 

I'm of the view that Sheffield should have a Ladies team attached to neither club. I saw a mock up picture of a new 5000 seater stadium to be built at Attercliffe and it had SUFC women all over it. That has alienated most of us straight away. Why not break boundaries, do it alone without the backing of a men's club. Choose your own name. Get Sheffield behind you and become the best team in the country. 

I'd go if it didn't clash with Wednesday games. Its a good watch and a bit daft to compare to mens game.

Name suggestions please.

There was a Sheffield ladies team affiliated to neither club - they folded at the end of last season i believe?

Not one womens team affiliated to a league club comes close to paying it's own way - they are bankrolled and a drain on the resources of the clubs

Crowds are pitiful - but thats largely the fault of the FA who decided in their infinite wisdom to put the womens game calendar alongside the men...

1 hour ago, beloved_aunt said:

Sheffield FC have a team in the Women's Super League eg in the top flight with the likes of the Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal.

No there isn't - nor wasn't

Edited by scram

Guest Theboylangers

I'd rather watch paint dry than watch women's football. 

But each to their own, I'm sure the ladies who play it and the people that watch it enjoy it so no harm done.

3 hours ago, owlinexile said:

It's nice to do community stuff like having women's and kid's teams - in fact clubs should do as much of that as possible. 

If there's one thing a women's team won't do it's make any money though.  As a spectator sport it's about on a par with those masters games with ex professionals or the one where they have Ollie Murs running around.  Bit of a novelty when there's no actual football on.

Absolutely not true. I dont post on owlstalk (well may be once in every five years) i'm involved in the grassroots girls game and have had the opportunity to speak to pros in the female game and have watched SFC  ladies over the last few seasons, The female game is very welcoming. its a good standard you get no rolling around when theirs contact a bit of fisty cuffs every now and again it seems to be more at the 80 / 90's level of mens football with more fitness but more of a pure game. 

i dont know how to multi quote but 

LSowls

Yes totally agree SFC offered that

A few months ago I looked up the attendances in the women’s EPL.

From memory, total attendances for the season were circa 70,000. It averaged just over 1,000 per game.

Whether the PC brigade and the BBC like it or not it is relatively speaking a minority sport but still gets national coverage on BBC TV and radio.

Rather like women’s cricket where the BBC put the equivalent of a County game on Five Live Extra. The numbers listening will have been tiny. Total waste of licence fee.

17 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

A few months ago I looked up the attendances in the women’s EPL.

From memory, total attendances for the season were circa 70,000. It averaged just over 1,000 per game.

Whether the PC brigade and the BBC like it or not it is relatively speaking a minority sport but still gets national coverage on BBC TV and radio.

Rather like women’s cricket where the BBC put the equivalent of a County game on Five Live Extra. The numbers listening will have been tiny. Total waste of licence fee.

Yes, the gates vary from 500 to 2,000 for the top teams but also bear in mind that the admission prices are generally only £10.

ive watcnhed plenty of womens football, the skill level is pretty high and is quite entertaining but it can be entertaining for the wrong reasons eg calaminity goal keeping and school boy defending. Also they struggle physically on the larger pitches and big regulation sized goals.

The level is similar to schoolboy under top 16 school boys football.

In fact wasn’t it reported a few years ago that the US Womens team (who were world champions) played a friendly match behind closed door against the England under 17 side at the Burton training facility. Apparently the under 17’s beat the world champions 6-1 but I would expect the standard to have improved since.

Can’t see it ever being financially viable and it will always be subsidised by the parent club.

Still think it’s a good idea to have a women’s team as it’s more inclusive encouraging more fans/ more interest. Every little helps.

Edited by sheffsteel

Equality shouldn't mean clubs having men's and women's teams where the men bring the money in and the women are bankrolled by it (Man City, Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc)

Equality should mean independent women's clubs making money for themselves and leagues run sustainably (Doncaster Belles, Lewes etc)

Obviously the FA are pushing for more of the former so now the Womens Super League is filled with men's clubs who have paid their way in, while independent women's clubs (Belles) have been demoted to make way. 

All for SWLFC to use our name - but pay their own way. 

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm going to take a mad stab in the dark here and just have a total guess that all those whinging about the possibility of a Ladies Football Team at Sheffield Wednesday are middle aged men and not women or younger supporters?

Just a stab in the dark guess like I say...

In fairness most female football fans I know don't watch women's football, not even when England made the World Cup semi final a few years back.

As a spectacle it's just not as fast paced or exciting as men's football and that's the same whether you are watching it as a middle aged man, a female football fan or a younger supporter.

All for a women's team under the SWFC badge but I think it would be wrong that the men's team should fund it and I think most fans (regardless of what category you all into) would agree.

14 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

In fairness most female football fans I know don't watch women's football

Yeah but that's not the point

My point was the simple question - are those opposing women's football and moaning about it all middle aged men?

Female football fans might not watch women's football (yet) but I bet they're not against it 

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah but that's not the point

My point was the simple question - are those opposing women's football and moaning about it all middle aged men?

Female football fans might not watch women's football (yet) but I bet they're not against it 

I'm not against it, I just think that if there is to be a ladies team then it should be self funding and shouldn't rely on the men's team for it's income.

Just now, TrickyTrev said:

I'm not against it, I just think that if there is to be a ladies team then it should be self funding and shouldn't rely on the men's team for it's income.

Fair - unless of course it was a worthwhile outlay in order to spread the word of the football club far and wide and attract more fans to the men's team's games too.

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Fair - unless of course it was a worthwhile outlay in order to spread the word of the football club far and wide and attract more fans to the men's team's games too.

I see the point you're trying to make but when you look at the attendance figures for the women's game, I'd say the best way to spread the word of the football club far and wide is via the men's game.

As I say, by all mean's have a ladies team but I just don't think they should be reliant on the men's team for an income, especially at this present time with the mess we are currently in with regards to FFP.

25 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Spread the word? 

Almost no one watches it even at the highest level.

subsidising a women’s team would be a complete waste of resources.

Kivo is right. Let it be self funding.