Sheffield Wednesday Ladies FC

1 minute ago, inspiraL said:

SWFLC is not directly associated with swfc more of a community team. SFC have had to drop out of the championship this season due to the mammoth financial commitments required. I heard the SUFC are struggling already with there new team. The women’s game is in a worst state than the men’s financially with the elite clubs buying there way in and the teams that established the female game being swept away for big name men’s team. Looks at donny bells. The girls game is really doing well. Every season more and more participation more clubs adding girls team to there rosters. It is putting a strain on facilities though as there is not enough 3G pitches available that players can get to.

Got ya

That's a sad thing to hear and explains the ladies urgency last Monday in asking her question  (which I simply cannot understand the criticism of her doing that)

There's a reason the elite clubs will be coming along and that's because there's going to be a huge explosion of Ladies football in the coming years and lots of money to be made from it no doubt

Owlstalk Shop

55 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Disappointing, women's football is nearly on par with men's now quality wise, in fact some of them could beat the men.

I realise I could get hammered for this but what are you talking about?

Women's football, while much improved, is absolutely shocking. 

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Got ya

That's a sad thing to hear and explains the ladies urgency last Monday in asking her question  (which I simply cannot understand the criticism of her doing that)

There's a reason the elite clubs will be coming along and that's because there's going to be a huge explosion of Ladies football in the coming years and lots of money to be made from it no doubt

Happy for Wednesday to have a lasses team or a set of old blokes doing walking football, disability teams or whatever. Good luck to them but they have been talking about women's football taking off for over 30 years, as a novelty yes, as a sensible alternative to the men's game no chance. 

It's not for me, however happy to support those that enjoy it.

Yes I've tried watching it.

I don't know, something missing from the womens game. Perhaps it's the tribalism, rightly or wrongly thats missing. You know what I mean? That edge to a game.

Or it's just me.

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 1

Just now, @owlstalk said:

it's been on the telly loads already!

Hmmm OK when it takes over the prime time football slots I might agree.

But having the highlights squeezed in between episodes of only fools and horses series 4 doesn't count. 

Mind you the lass who was a pundit on the arsenal v man city game looked in fine fettle, talked well and represented the ladies game with a lot of credibility. 

I should repeat I have no problem with the ladies game, I hope that they enjoy it and I hope they can make a good living at it.

But there's no way it will ever compete withe mens game. They are not strong enough and they are not fast enough. 

22 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You do realise they don't play against Men right?

lol

Yes mate loleven I noticed that. 

I suppose as an example when I was completing my 92 club I went to England u18 boys v Czech u18 at  shrewsburys new ground. 

There was obviously some of the best young talent from the respective nations. But because these lads were not full grown the football could be described as not full grown either. 

Women's football is imo like that, a bit lightweight and a superficial. 

Guest Grez Bez

I think woman's football would be better if it was completely independent of the man's game.

One club per city, no affiliated with a man's team...

1 minute ago, LSOwls said:

I think woman's football would be better if it was completely independent of the man's game.

One club per city, no affiliated with a man's team...

Apart from Ironing the mens matchday suits and a bit of hoovering in the offices..

• Haha 3

It's nice to do community stuff like having women's and kid's teams - in fact clubs should do as much of that as possible. 

If there's one thing a women's team won't do it's make any money though.  As a spectator sport it's about on a par with those masters games with ex professionals or the one where they have Ollie Murs running around.  Bit of a novelty when there's no actual football on.

I think every man, woman and child should be able to play the sport they want to play, personally I have zero interest in women's football (as I have zero interest in Women's boxing and boxing is my second favourite sport), I'm happy it's growing and all that but it should be kept separate from men's football, it's not the same sport as far as I'm concerned and the way the likes of the BBC are trying to shove it down everyone's throats is annoying in the extreme.