Give Pelupessy a break

Noticed 3/4 times on Saturday when hull counter attacked Bannan was upfield and strolled back leaving joey on his own. Surprised by Bannan as his workrate is normally spot on. Better midfielders than joey will struggle when left on there own. Think they need to play closer together and hunt in pairs to be effective  

If I were his manager i'd tell him to keep it simple.

Stay in front of the back three, tackle and give the ball to bannan!

Then he can start to look for passes forward.

Against Hull he gave the ball away in dangerous positions too many times due to poor control.

1 hour ago, oz_owl said:

Yeah, because having money makes you immune to having feelings.  Which is why we never see any well paid sportsmen, actors, or anyone else who is highly paid, talk about suffering from stress, anxiety, depression.  Jesus wept, what an inane comment.

Awww poor little footballer... inane my ar5e   These players are treated with kid phooking gloves.

Stress ??  All he has to do is halfa job on a ptch and he picks up thousands ... stop wiping his Ar5e, he's playing crap at the minute, and he should take the criticism

2 hours ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Pelupessy has come in for a lot of stick on here and plenty of groaning from the crowd. That's probably because he's not played well in the two games so far and, to be honest, not been particularly impressive in any game I've seen. I like to use the ratings on whoscored.com as a measure of a player's contributions and so far they rate Pelupessy as our second-worst player - better than Morgan Fox but not as good as Palmer or Matias. And I agree that it's frustrating to watch him come to receive a ball only to pass it straight back to the defender he got it from or dally too long and give an opponent the chance to nick it off him. Basically he's pretty limited as a footballer - and we've been used to signing players, supposedly at least, of a much higher quality.

BUT

1. A player's contribution can't always be measured in the number of tackles or successful passes. I'd like to make the argument that his greatest contribution is in his ability to get around the park and fill in holes EVEN IF HE DOESN'T ACTUALLY TOUCH THE BALL. In that respect he does have tremendous energy and also awareness of where he needs to be.

2. That kind of player is essential in the formation we are playing which is basically a circle of 8 players, 3 defenders, 3 forwards and two wingbacks on the touchlines, leaving just two players in the middle (him and Bannan). Personally I think that formation asks way too much of both Pelupessy and Bannan but if it was anyone else alongside Bannan he'd be truly scuppered. Who else could play that role? Hutchinson? He's more likely to either sit on top of the back 3/4 or go charging about leaving holes behind him. Jones? He's probably technically a much better player than Joey but doesn't have the legs to play that role. If the moaners manage to get Pelupessy out of the side, I think we'd be even worse (at least with that formation).

3. If we're going to slag players off lets pick on those who don't seem to be putting in the effort. Joey certainly can't be accused of that. Whatever his shortcomings are, his attitude is fantastic.

4. Groaning and moaning isn't going to make him a better player. He's already trying as hard as he can.

So please, accept his limitations but be grateful for his effort and application. I really think we'd be a lot worse without him. At least until we change formation or get Kieran Lee back.

So you like to use a ratings site to judge a players performances, i prefer to use my eyes and so far they have seen that Pelupessy isn't very good.

2 hours ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Pelupessy has come in for a lot of stick on here and plenty of groaning from the crowd. That's probably because he's not played well in the two games so far and, to be honest, not been particularly impressive in any game I've seen. I like to use the ratings on whoscored.com as a measure of a player's contributions and so far they rate Pelupessy as our second-worst player - better than Morgan Fox but not as good as Palmer or Matias. And I agree that it's frustrating to watch him come to receive a ball only to pass it straight back to the defender he got it from or dally too long and give an opponent the chance to nick it off him. Basically he's pretty limited as a footballer - and we've been used to signing players, supposedly at least, of a much higher quality.

BUT

Nobody worse fo this than Bannan himself!

Guest oz_owl
1 hour ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Awww poor little footballer... inane my ar5e   These players are treated with kid phooking gloves.

Stress ??  All he has to do is halfa job on a ptch and he picks up thousands ... stop wiping his Ar5e, he's playing crap at the minute, and he should take the criticism

Because he's not playing to the standard you think he should then he deserves to be vilified?  How do you know he can play any better than he is doing now?  And either way why would you assume he doesn't care about his own performances or how people perceive him?

But you seem to think that he deserves all your negative stereo-typing because he's well paid.  Odd thought process.

I take your point - lets get behind him as he does the dirty work in the middle.

The problem i have with him is that he hasn’t got a first touch and doesn’t position himself in way that allows play to flow forwards. The moves stopped/broke down countless times Saturday when play went through him.

He isn’t the first nor the last midfielder at Wednesday to lack ability, and given he cost 500k i wasn’t expecting much. I really hope he proves me wrong and becomes a proper player but for now i would actually rather see Jones in there 

My opinion is that Joey is a decent player and some of the stick he gets is harsh.

However, I don't follow the narrative some have promoted that he isn't appreciated because he's a basic defensive midfielder and the work he does goes unseen by most fans.  Jose Semedo was (rightly) adored by fans and almost everything he did was off the ball.  Lets face it his passing range was barely longer than 5 yards.

I think it's a simple case that the job Joey does in the team isn't obvious and when results are not great he gets stick. Same with Jones, same with the likes of Whelan in the past. He ended last season as probably our 2nd/3rd best player in that run at the back end of the campaign. The end of the season came at the wrong time for him as he'd got up to the speed of the division and was in form. He'll get better as the season goes on, as will most of the team.

4 hours ago, full fathom five said:

So you like to use a ratings site to judge a players performances, i prefer to use my eyes and so far they have seen that Pelupessy isn't very good.

And yet I'd take his opinion over yours, given that he made a decent post and backed up his opinion, and you picked up on one line of it to try and make a couple of arsey points. 

I've not seen Pelupessy play this season, hopefully see him tomorrow evening if he plays. Find it handy reading other's opinions of him though, just not yours... yet?

8 hours ago, oz_owl said:

Because he's not playing to the standard you think he should then he deserves to be vilified?  How do you know he can play any better than he is doing now?  And either way why would you assume he doesn't care about his own performances or how people perceive him?

But you seem to think that he deserves all your negative stereo-typing because he's well paid.  Odd thought process.

No, not an odd process, just not a,  " everyone's a winner really " tree hugger process !   And....  vilified, ??? vilified ?    You'd make out we'd dragged him through the streets and burnt him in phooking effigy. !!

He's being criticised for playing poorly !!  And he has been !

And you call my thinking odd ?  

The worlds gone mad, kids aren't criticised for being crap anymore, everyone thinks they are great, when... they aren't, so they stay in the same sport etc, thinking they are brilliant, because some huggers told them so.

Rather than move on and actually achieve something in a sport, hobby, field of work, that they can actually excel in.

he's playing CRAP.... he needs to be told, so he can either , improve, or move on.

He's earning more in a week than most in Sheffield get in two years. 

Football isn't work. Shovelling dirt at minimum wage is. 

Pelupessy is getting very well paid so it's down to him to earn it. 

The only way he can silence the booboys is to play. 

It's that simple. Or is it. Sadly he's surrounded by a collection of over paid under performing players saddled with an impotent manager totally unable to inspire the team. 

It's a club problem. Pelupessy is just part of that problem 

13 minutes ago, Mrmason69 said:

He's earning more in a week than most in Sheffield get in two years. 

Football isn't work. Shovelling dirt at minimum wage is. 

Pelupessy is getting very well paid so it's down to him to earn it. 

The only way he can silence the booboys is to play. 

It's that simple. Or is it. Sadly he's surrounded by a collection of over paid under performing players saddled with an impotent manager totally unable to inspire the team. 

It's a club problem. Pelupessy is just part of that problem 

You saying Pelupessy is on £50k a week then yeah?