Give Pelupessy a break

Pelupessy has come in for a lot of stick on here and plenty of groaning from the crowd. That's probably because he's not played well in the two games so far and, to be honest, not been particularly impressive in any game I've seen. I like to use the ratings on whoscored.com as a measure of a player's contributions and so far they rate Pelupessy as our second-worst player - better than Morgan Fox but not as good as Palmer or Matias. And I agree that it's frustrating to watch him come to receive a ball only to pass it straight back to the defender he got it from or dally too long and give an opponent the chance to nick it off him. Basically he's pretty limited as a footballer - and we've been used to signing players, supposedly at least, of a much higher quality.

BUT

1. A player's contribution can't always be measured in the number of tackles or successful passes. I'd like to make the argument that his greatest contribution is in his ability to get around the park and fill in holes EVEN IF HE DOESN'T ACTUALLY TOUCH THE BALL. In that respect he does have tremendous energy and also awareness of where he needs to be.

2. That kind of player is essential in the formation we are playing which is basically a circle of 8 players, 3 defenders, 3 forwards and two wingbacks on the touchlines, leaving just two players in the middle (him and Bannan). Personally I think that formation asks way too much of both Pelupessy and Bannan but if it was anyone else alongside Bannan he'd be truly scuppered. Who else could play that role? Hutchinson? He's more likely to either sit on top of the back 3/4 or go charging about leaving holes behind him. Jones? He's probably technically a much better player than Joey but doesn't have the legs to play that role. If the moaners manage to get Pelupessy out of the side, I think we'd be even worse (at least with that formation).

3. If we're going to slag players off lets pick on those who don't seem to be putting in the effort. Joey certainly can't be accused of that. Whatever his shortcomings are, his attitude is fantastic.

4. Groaning and moaning isn't going to make him a better player. He's already trying as hard as he can.

So please, accept his limitations but be grateful for his effort and application. I really think we'd be a lot worse without him. At least until we change formation or get Kieran Lee back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

1. A player's contribution can't always be measured in the number of tackles or successful passes. I'd like to make the argument that his greatest contribution is in his ability to get around the park and fill in holes EVEN IF HE DOESN'T ACTUALLY TOUCH THE BALL. 

Please tell me you don’t actually believe that?

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

1. A player's contribution can't always be measured in the number of tackles or successful passes. I'd like to make the argument that his greatest contribution is in his ability to get around the park and fill in holes EVEN IF HE DOESN'T ACTUALLY TOUCH THE BALL. In that respect he does have tremendous energy and also awareness of where he needs to be

So please, accept his limitations but be grateful for his effort and application. I really think we'd be a lot worse without him. At least until we change formation or get Kieran Lee back.

This is why he is in the team at the moment and will continue to be.

Guest oz_owl
3 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

I'm sue he's really concerned what we all say when he picks up his pay cheque.

Yeah, because having money makes you immune to having feelings.  Which is why we never see any well paid sportsmen, actors, or anyone else who is highly paid, talk about suffering from stress, anxiety, depression.  Jesus wept, what an inane comment.

Plenty of development potential, but he's doing ok in an unforgiving role. His job is to break up play and give the ball to Bannan.

He's a team player who does the nasty work, runs his testicles off to close down space. Of course he can and will get better. Still early in the season to start judging.

1 hour ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Pelupessy has come in for a lot of stick on here and plenty of groaning from the crowd. That's probably because he's not played well in the two games so far and, to be honest, not been particularly impressive in any game I've seen. I like to use the ratings on whoscored.com as a measure of a player's contributions and so far they rate Pelupessy as our second-worst player - better than Morgan Fox but not as good as Palmer or Matias. And I agree that it's frustrating to watch him come to receive a ball only to pass it straight back to the defender he got it from or dally too long and give an opponent the chance to nick it off him. Basically he's pretty limited as a footballer - and we've been used to signing players, supposedly at least, of a much higher quality.

BUT

1. A player's contribution can't always be measured in the number of tackles or successful passes. I'd like to make the argument that his greatest contribution is in his ability to get around the park and fill in holes EVEN IF HE DOESN'T ACTUALLY TOUCH THE BALL. In that respect he does have tremendous energy and also awareness of where he needs to be.

2. That kind of player is essential in the formation we are playing which is basically a circle of 8 players, 3 defenders, 3 forwards and two wingbacks on the touchlines, leaving just two players in the middle (him and Bannan). Personally I think that formation asks way too much of both Pelupessy and Bannan but if it was anyone else alongside Bannan he'd be truly scuppered. Who else could play that role? Hutchinson? He's more likely to either sit on top of the back 3/4 or go charging about leaving holes behind him. Jones? He's probably technically a much better player than Joey but doesn't have the legs to play that role. If the moaners manage to get Pelupessy out of the side, I think we'd be even worse (at least with that formation).

3. If we're going to slag players off lets pick on those who don't seem to be putting in the effort. Joey certainly can't be accused of that. Whatever his shortcomings are, his attitude is fantastic.

4. Groaning and moaning isn't going to make him a better player. He's already trying as hard as he can.

1. If he is getting around the park and filling holes with any effect how come the attacking sensations that are Wigan and Hull created so many clear cut chances against us, cutting through us at will?

2. That's a fair point, Hutch seems less likely to get injured or sent off when playing at the back and Jones is not mobile at all. Maybe we should change formation.

3. Who do you think is in the side but not currently putting the effort in?

4. Never got on a players back during a game in terms of booing etc.. but it is hard sometimes not to sigh when players make mistakes, no matter who does it.

13 minutes ago, oz_owl said:

Yeah, because having money makes you immune to having feelings.  Which is why we never see any well paid sportsmen, actors, or anyone else who is highly paid, talk about suffering from stress, anxiety, depression.  Jesus wept, what an inane comment.

Disagree . If I was him I’d laugh at the mugs paying through the nose to slag me off whilst I’m earning 10 grand plus a week. More fool them 

1 hour ago, davetherivelinowl said:

BUT

I know there’s plenty of content that you’ve put in after this point, but that’s a hefty first paragraph of calling him bobbins for a positivity thread! 

1 hour ago, Frazzlebeak said:

I think they are all going to need a break to be honest. They’re all we”ve got for the moment.

Dont want to be negative, but, they've only played 2 league matches.

• Haha 1