On This Day 25 Years Ago !

Genuinly was super excited when we signed Des. A top class player. Not in the twightlight of his career but in his absolute prime.

Thought he was going to make the ideal partner for Pearson. A combination of power, pace and aerial strength. 

The skipper was moved on though... Andy Pearce....but that's another tale.

Des was great for us. For what 8 or 9 years?

Super signing. Had to feel for him as the side slowly ebbed away around him.

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Genuinly was super excited when we signed Des. A top class player. Not in the twightlight of his career but in his absolute prime.

Thought he was going to make the ideal partner for Pearson. A combination of power, pace and aerial strength. 

Why oh why was Pearson sold? A crazy decision.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

Why oh why was Pearson sold? A crazy decision.

Considering he went on on to make over 100 league starts for Middlesborough and captain them to promotion and three Cup Finals I think the line that at 31 he was past it was put to bed.

I suspect the big charachters thing was the bigger issue.

Yes, Walker was the signing that Four Four Two said would make us champions! I haven’t got the stats to hand but the Shirtliff/Pearson partnership was phenomenal. Wednesday lost very few games when they were together. I was really sorry when Pearson was deemed surplus to requirements.

55 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

#OnThisDay 25 years ago one of the best defenders to ever wear the famous blue & white stripes made his Wednesday debut.  Sir Desmond Walker take a bow! #SWFC #WAWAW

353924475_dw14-8.jpeg.54f2f3a4d18ff10a4585dc987768b4f4.jpeg1387130401_14-8-93dw.jpeg.8d796562932d6b406caa279df37f5d25.jpeg

Nice action shot of Sir Des

And a very "Anorexic" looking 

Neil Ruddock lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Colin Dobson said:

Yes, Walker was the signing that Four Four Two said would make us champions! I haven’t got the stats to hand but the Shirtliff/Pearson partnership was phenomenal. Wednesday lost very few games when they were together. I was really sorry when Pearson was deemed surplus to requirements.

Suspect  there was probably no way  back after the "basically they think you're a c*nt" situation.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Too right. Imagine joining that early 90’s side and then finishing your Wednesday career as partner to Danny Maddox lol 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Considering he went on on to make over 100 league starts for Middlesborough and captain them to promotion and three Cup Finals I think the line that at 31 he was past it was put to bed.

I suspect the big charachters thing was the bigger issue.

He will return 

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Suspect  there was probably no way  back after the "basically they think you're a c*nt" situation.

I don't think I'm aware of that story, what happened?

Feel free to use fake names to protect the guilty...

I used to love it when the opposition cleared their lines with a long ball over our defence, you'd see a striker gamble on it & sprint full tilt to gather the ball, he's already seeing the headlines in his minds eye, considering how to celebrate his goal.....

Watching it from the stand you knew what happened next, we had all seen it before, it was almost like watching Attenborough.

One more touch & he'll pull the trigger, just has to wait for it to sit right and..........

BLAM!!!

Disposessed.

You will never beat Des Walker.

You will never ever beat Des Walker.

If you even dream of beating Des Walker you better wake up & apologise.

1 minute ago, Big Rons Hairspray said:

I don't think I'm aware of that story, what happened?

Feel free to use fake names to protect the guilty...

A manager, we'll call him "Jasper Carrott"  called in a club captain at a football club ,  we'll call the Captain "Arnold Schwarzenegger",  and asked him what the rest of the lads thought about him and said about him when he wasn't there.

Schwarzenegger thought this was pretty poor form being asked to betray the lads. But decided he'd been asked so he'd give....  "Basically Jasper, they think you're a c*nt"

And that was very much that.

Schwarzenegger was soon gone.

And replaced with " Oz" from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Thanks my lord for a bit of Wednesday history I wasn’t aware of! The tragedy about 1993 was that we ran out of centre halves. The Blackburn LC semi was the greatest ever TV performance by the lads but it contained Pearson’s last brief appearance in a Wednesday shirt. If he’d played at Wembley a month later ...... who knows?

• Thanks 1

I remember Sat in the lower South towards the Lepp 

First night match against Leeds we were three down before half time, i remember we were rolled over by some stunning free kicks...

Can't remember who was substituted but on came Mr Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink .first chance ran straight down the right and  into Des full up screaming in his face ran him out of touch and Des nearly ended up sat beside me !!

Des "dissappeared" from the game  after that  ...

And JFH's punishment? 

Made to take his loop earrings out (officials were just as cràp then as they are now)

Des Walker fantastic player... 

He probably could tell us what really went wrong at our beloved club back then ?

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST