@owlstalk

Football Fans - The Price Of Football

5 minutes ago, torres said:

Football as an industry isn't. In fact it's quite the opposite.

Clubs are a disgrace that is all.

Apart from the Premier League, football in this country is fecked.

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

Apart from the Premier League, football in this country is fecked.

Still disagree completely 

Our league - a second tier of football is the 5th most watched in Europe (by actual spectators)

Our city with both clubs in said tier average the best part of 50k between them

The only blight on the game is the clubs themselves and how they run. 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, torres said:

Still disagree completely 

Our league - a second tier of football is the 5th most watched in Europe (by actual spectators)

Our city with both clubs in said tier average the best part of 50k between them

The only blight on the game is the clubs themselves and how they run. 

Yeah but it’s still fecked.

• Sad 1

I think there are a few interesting points in this article that show the state of football and SWFC.

If/when TV pulls out of paying so much for television rights then most Premiership clubs are stuffed.

A large number of clubs have more income from other sources than they do through the gate. In the Premiership I suppose a lot of this is advertising/sponsorship but this is only because they are televised so often and globally.

Sheff U are totally dependent on gate income (when they were in the Pub League) but their percentage was much higher than clubs in the same or lower leagues.

We weren't one of the clubs with the biggest wage overspends in the season covered. Admittedly it was only the first full season under DC but even so surprising when compared to some of the clubs in there.

Finally in the graphic showing that Man U had almost as much revenue as the whole of the Championship, if the size of the shapes representing each of the clubs is in relation to their income then it shows we weren't one of the biggest clubs in the league. When you take out some of the recently relegated we were still mid-table of the remaining.

I guess this probably shows why we are getting hit more by the current constraints and why prices have been rising over the last 3 years.

I believe that there should be a different way of distributing sky money. It shouldn't be distributed by league it should be distributed by fan base. If I buy a Sky Sports subscription I should be able to nominate the club to which goes my Sky fee. Its not right that poorly supported clubs can be bought by a rich man who's money gets them promoted to the Prem where they get oodles of money and make lots of profit that they trouser. Their small stadiums are cheap to run, police costs next to nothing.Also the number of Sky subscriptions purchased by their fans are very small, yet they get paid much beyond their support by Sky. By comparison Clubs Such as Wednesday, Sheffield United, Leeds, Derby, Forrest, Stoke, West Brom, Birmingham, etc all of whom have terrific support get nothing by comparison. 

Brentford who are on the up are another relatively poorly supported club who having a big investor are on their way up and can soon join the growing ranks minnows in the Premiership. 

Ok my idea of nominating the club you want your money to go to isn't perfect either, because armchair supporters will just nominate a Premiership team and many give it to the under-dog, but something has to change or the big city clubs with large following will inceasingly fall out of the premiership as the smaller clubs can make more profit without fans than those with lager fan bases.

Way back in 1992 when the Premier League started, I believed that it was intended (among other things) to essentially guarantee the status of the top clubs and create an elite group that would hoover up most of the attention, sponsorship, support and revenue. Nothing since then has changed my mind. To do this, they needed the backing of the other clubs (ours included) who were greedily bribed with large increases in their own revenues but totally blind to the bigger game going on that reduced their long term chances of success. They, and the FA (shortsightedly driven by their own power struggle with the Football League) were hoodwinked by the real powers in the game and now the genie is out of the bottle with little chance of getting him back in.

In our celebrity obsessed, social media driven age, the masses and the media are largely only interested in those top few clubs. Fans of teams like ours, and even more so those at a more humble level, have been sidelined into something approaching an irrelevance. Although I was thrilled at the exploits of Leicester City a couple of years ago, in a way it was a terrible thing because it gave evidence that the league was open to all comers. But that was very much the exception and it will be interesting to see when anything like that happens again. Even before the season kicked off, we can be extremely confident who the final top six will end up being. 

For real supporters who enjoy going to the game, the headline from this report can only be bad news unless the clubs suddenly develop a sense of social responsibility that in the main they have buried in the dirt in their self-interested greedy clamour.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

When the latest TV deal was revealed it was said that the Premier League could give every ticket for every game away for free and still have more money left than they would have had with the previous TV deal 

The money in Premier League is obscene 

All that money in the game and we are still having to flog Wembley to pay for pitches for kids.

Something has gone seriously wrong somewhere. In a way, football has mirrored the way we have been taught to act for last 30 years- greed, greed, greed whilst the social fabric is chipped away.

3 hours ago, torres said:

How is football on the slide???

because It is losing it's connect to the average working family man and in so doing connecting to the young fan 

Football as I knew it is almost dead, The old first div I grew up watching is now a cesspit of agents and obscenely paid prima donnas.   

Season by season it is increasingly run by rich foreigners following the golden SKY carrot. who can operate without regard to their working class supporters as apparently now they don't need them to make a profit  because after all that's what it's about for some.

people whom at at whim want to change traditional kits, names and colours 

long term their reliance on more and more foreign players makes it increasingly difficult for youth 

the crazy money attracted to the PL /agents and players  takes it away from the grass roots game 

someone on the radio said last night 

"you know what I always thought as a ST holder I was the life blood of the club  but I'm not It's people sat at home paying their sky subscription "

That's why football the business is on the slide 

Re our mess 

I have watched for 60 years with varying degrees of distress and anxiety as an Owl

what is happening now is the result of a gamble that failed recklessly chasing that carrot 

We aren't the first and wont be the last  even though the P&S was set up to stop it,  some will still think they can allegedly flout the rules in so doing some may lose millions in pocket money, but it may only be an inconvenience to them -  it's fecking catastrophic to me if we end up imploding 

• Agree 2

Football is booming. It’s a simple fact.

More people over the whole world are watching it like never before. 

Sadly the clubs are bleeding us, the fans, for every penny they can rather than passing on the benefits from outside investment. 

We are being punished for our loyalty. Sooner or later they will push us too far and they will realise without us, there is no game.

It’s not sky, BT, itv etc fault it’s 100% the clubs to blame 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, steelowl said:

because It is losing it's connect to the average working family man and in so doing connecting to the young fan 

Football as I knew it is almost dead, The old first div I grew up watching is now a cesspit of agents and obscenely paid prima donnas.   

Season by season it is increasingly run by rich foreigners following the golden SKY carrot. who can operate without regard to their working class supporters as apparently now they don't need them to make a profit  because after all that's what it's about for some.

people whom at at whim want to change traditional kits, names and colours 

long term their reliance on more and more foreign players makes it increasingly difficult for youth 

the crazy money attracted to the PL /agents and players  takes it away from the grass roots game 

someone on the radio said last night 

"you know what I always thought as a ST holder I was the life blood of the club  but I'm not It's people sat at home paying their sky subscription "

That's why football the business is on the slide 

Re our mess 

I have watched for 60 years with varying degrees of distress and anxiety as an Owl

what is happening now is the result of a gamble that failed recklessly chasing that carrot 

We aren't the first and wont be the last  even though the P&S was set up to stop it,  some will still think they can allegedly flout the rules in so doing some may lose millions in pocket money, but it may only be an inconvenience to them -  it's fecking catastrophic to me if we end up imploding 

Brilliant post mate.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, torres said:

Football is booming. It’s a simple fact.

More people over the whole world are watching it like never before. 

Sadly the clubs are bleeding us, the fans, for every penny they can rather than passing on the benefits from outside investment. 

We are being punished for our loyalty. Sooner or later they will push us too far and they will realise without us, there is no game.

It’s not sky, BT, itv etc fault it’s 100% the clubs to blame 

agree to disagree   the increased funding from the people you absolve has led to greed and a fan disconnect as a consequence

enjoy your inflated football bubble there will be a pop soon 

7 minutes ago, steelowl said:

agree to disagree   the increased funding from the people you absolve has led to greed and a fan disconnect as a consequence

enjoy your inflated football bubble there will be a pop soon 

The clubs were offered lots of money by the tv companies 

Our clubs took it.

The money was so good that income from gate receipts is now secondary.

Did our clubs pass this on to the fans. 

No chance.

The tv companies, didn’t tell the clubs to pay players stupid amounts, they didn’t tell the clubs to employ ridiculous amounts of coaches, water carriers, tracksuit top passers, etc. (Just look at the number we have in the club - its embarrassing)

The clubs/chairmen have oozed greed since the first deal was done and haven’t given the fan a second thought. 

we disagree on the cause but seemingly agree on the consequence 

11 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

Spectacularly missing the point there mate.

Fan revenue doesn't matter in the Prem. It does in the championship.

No pal I know that... I'm just pointing out what I think would happen to us if we got in the PL under DC, do you think he would slash everything at Hillsborough? If he did id die of shock!

The TV money in the top flight of english football is out of control and its making clubs in the leagues below take huge risks to be in it like Wolves last season.

13 hours ago, Blatter said:

Interesting that three of them made a profit whilst getting relegated.

I bet Chansiri has noticed and factored that into his business plan.

I like the fact you think he has a plan... pretty sure he just makes it up as he goes along.