We have a small squad apparently

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/video-jos-luhukay-on-his-sheffield-wednesday-squad-a-busy-fixture-schedule-and-sunderland-1-9299079/amp

seems to me that he’s added his own pressure now calling us a small squad. Really are we or is he creating another excuse for future ready if it goes south ? Other than money why did they let the players leave then if he knew we’d have a small squad? We’ve gone from too big to too small strange really when youth has replaced the old that’s gone ? 

Haha, seems the threshold between a large squad and a small one was passed somewhere in the 5 players we let go, maybe he'd hoped for 2 in then we'd be just right.....seriously though I don't think they are lining up the next excuse, it wouldn't wash. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

It’s not a small squad. Just a slightly unbalanced one.

This.

Rhodes going doesn't exactly leave us light in the striking dept. It's just unfortunate Adthe get suspended, Joao declared himself unfit and Fletcher still isn't 100%- still Hooper and Winnall to come back too in addition to FF, and Matias (if we're calling him a forward). That's without touching the U23s.

In reality we could still let one of the above go when they're all fit. Trouble is our hands are tied and we've left ourselves short at centre half due to Loovens departure and failure to secure Venancio permanently.

It's the Jack Hunt one that baffles me and snacks of desperation to balance the books.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lomas613 said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/video-jos-luhukay-on-his-sheffield-wednesday-squad-a-busy-fixture-schedule-and-sunderland-1-9299079/amp

seems to me that he’s added his own pressure now calling us a small squad. Really are we or is he creating another excuse for future ready if it goes south ? Other than money why did they let the players leave then if he knew we’d have a small squad? We’ve gone from too big to too small strange really when youth has replaced the old that’s gone ? 

Remember when we didnt replace sheridan, waddle, palmer etcWTF:

4 hours ago, Lomas613 said:

With the financial mess we are in , it's likely to get a whole lot smaller if we have to flog the crown jewels in January. 

I wonder if he has completely written off players like Westwood, Jones, Boyd, Abdi, because that would make us a small squad unless we include the untried kids. It would be a daft thing to do because they still have something to offer (OK not Abdi), even if it is only in times of multiple games.

It wasn't that long ago he was complaining that the squad was too large and would be trimmed for this season. They guy is a total contradiction. 

If the squad is too small he needs to bring players like Jones and Westwood back in from the cold. He may not like them, but they're being paid for nothing at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, kristmace said:

It wasn't that long ago he was complaining that the squad was too large and would be trimmed for this season. They guy is a total contradiction. 

If the squad is too small he needs to bring players like Jones and Westwood back in from the cold. He may not like them, but they're being paid for nothing at the moment. 

Jones is definitely as good as pelupessey and Boyd is better than Fox so to not have them in the squad is bloody stupid 

Surely he’s just pulling someone’s leg...I mean he cannot be serious, got to be a funny joke from Jos another one of those ‘lost in translation moments’ 

He had the following available for the Wigan game

Westwood

Dawson

Wildsmith

Lees

Pudil

Van Aken

Palmer

Fox

Hutchinson

Thornliey 

Baker

Bannan

Pelupessy

Reach

Jones

Abdi

Matais 

Boyd

Fletcher

FF

Nuhiu

Joao

That’s 22 players that were fit and available....you can only pick 11 Jos :duntmatter:

He can still put out two completely different teams not including a few of the under 23s and still have Westwood on drinks bottle duty.

Every other side will be facing the same fixture congestion and I bet we have one of the biggest squads in the league still.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Box_Man said:

Surely he’s just pulling someone’s leg...I mean he cannot be serious, got to be a funny joke from Jos another one of those ‘lost in translation moments’ 

He had the following available for the Wigan game

Westwood

Dawson

Wildsmith

Lees

Pudil

Van Aken

Palmer

Fox

Hutchinson

Thornliey 

Baker

Bannan

Pelupessy

Reach

Jones

Abdi

Matais 

Boyd

Fletcher

FF

Nuhiu

Joao

That’s 22 players that were fit and available....you can only pick 11 Jos :duntmatter:

He can still put out two completely different teams not including a few of the under 23s and still have Westwood on drinks bottle duty.

Every other side will be facing the same fixture congestion and I bet we have one of the biggest squads in the league still.

Think Jos was quoted as wanting a 24/25 man squad so he is a couple of players down. Of those 22 Abdi is injured (obviously) as is Joao now and one Is Morgan Fox, so can understand where he is coming from.

3 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

It's the Jack Hunt one that baffles me and snacks of desperation to balance the books.

Are we going to end up in some crazy group delusion where we decide to believe that Hunt was a baller?

He was a very average championship right back. He had a turn of pace, but produced next to nothing going forward and was a bit suspect defensively. He occasionally got us off our seats by going by someone, but generally nothing ever came of it. The reported £1.6m is decent enough value for him.

I can go back and dig out the stats of how in his full 3 years he amassed the goals and assists that a good championship fullback gets in one season. Look back thru the posts on here.. for most of the time he was here people wanted us to sign a proper right back. Now he's gone, people want to use it as a stick to beat the club with for some reason.

2 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Are we going to end up in some crazy group delusion where we decide to believe that Hunt was a baller?

He was a very average championship right back. He had a turn of pace, but produced next to nothing going forward and was a bit suspect defensively. He occasionally got us off our seats by going by someone, but generally nothing ever came of it. The reported £1.6m is decent enough value for him.

I can go back and dig out the stats of how in his full 3 years he amassed the goals and assists that a good championship fullback gets in one season. Look back thru the posts on here.. for most of the time he was here people wanted us to sign a proper right back. Now he's gone, people want to use it as a stick to beat the club with for some reason.

Bristol seemed quite happy to part with £1.6m for him though, can't imagine any of our other full backs going for even half of that. 

In a world where Gary Madine is going for £6m, selling our best right back for £1.6m is hardly good news, especially as it happened due to financial desperation with a player having 12 months left on his contract,  rather than a footballing decision. 

6 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Bristol seemed quite happy to part with £1.6m for him though, can't imagine any of our other full backs going for even half of that. 

In a world where Gary Madine is going for £6m, selling our best right back for £1.6m is hardly good news, especially as it happened due to financial desperation with a player having 12 months left on his contract,  rather than a footballing decision. 

Jos come out after and said he is happy with Baker and Palmer. 1.6m for a player with 12 months left on contract isn't that bad considering he is a right back.

Personally I think Jos had a say in this and said yes let him go.

We can nit pick what Jos says in a quickk soundbite answer in the press in a language secondary to him.

One would suspect when he said the squad was too big last year he was reffering to the size and cost of it and the damage the wage bill was doing.

If he's saying it's too small this year it's not too much assume he means in terms of quality competition for places.

We do seem to jump on the man in everything he says.

He's made and will make errors. He is a human being.

I can only  imagine how I would get ripped to pieces if I took a job abroad in a clusterfeck of a situation and was having to bat away questions in another language.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Jos come out after and said he is happy with Baker and Palmer. 1.6m for a player with 12 months left on contract isn't that bad considering he is a right back.

Personally I think Jos had a say in this and said yes let him go.

He's not going to come out and say he's not happy though, considering we can't sign a replacement due to an embargo.

Everyone knows we've wanted to shift players, but the ones we want rid of have no takers.

If it was a choice of sell FF or Hunt, yeah i get that. 

But the sale only highlights our financial situation, because he's the best full back we had when we sold him (not that much of a compliment i know!)

If FFP wasn't an issue, i don't believe we would have sold him. 

29 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

He's not going to come out and say he's not happy though, considering we can't sign a replacement due to an embargo.

Everyone knows we've wanted to shift players, but the ones we want rid of have no takers.

If it was a choice of sell FF or Hunt, yeah i get that. 

But the sale only highlights our financial situation, because he's the best full back we had when we sold him (not that much of a compliment i know!)

If FFP wasn't an issue, i don't believe we would have sold him. 

Maybe not. but if the plan was not to extend his contract at the end of the season then i can see why he has gone.

55 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

We can nit pick what Jos says in a quickk soundbite answer in the press in a language secondary to him.

One would suspect when he said the squad was too big last year he was reffering to the size and cost of it and the damage the wage bill was doing.

If he's saying it's too small this year it's not too much assume he means in terms of quality competition for places.

We do seem to jump on the man in everything he says.

He's made and will make errors. He is a human being.

I can only  imagine how I would get ripped to pieces if I took a job abroad in a clusterfeck of a situation and was having to bat away questions in another language.

Oh stop being reasonable - we want the made up stuff

• Like 1