Another formation thread : back to basics

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Id go back to 4-4-2.

Westwood - we have to play our best team. He gives the defence confidence.

RB - Palmer - remove the necessity for him to attack so much - meaning he isnt left jogging back after hes lost the ball. 

CB - Lees - quite simply our best centre half

CB - Thorniley - don't trust van Aken - time for Thorniley to step up and make the role his own

LB - Pudil - not a centre back - and another who doesnt need to be attacking all the time

RW - Matias? Pace

CM - Bannan - makes it tick

CM - Hutch - ballwinner

LW - Reach

ST - FF

ST - any of the other 7

Really wish I'd not done this exercise as it just makes you realise what a dearth of talent we have for a club £50m overdrawn. I'm off for a lie-down. And possibly a cry.  We really are f*****d

Love the irony on Owlstalk.

Carlos plays a no frills 4-4-2, gets no end of stick and fans demand he plays a more attacking 3-5-2. 

Jos plays 3-5-2, gets no end of stick and fans demand a more solid 4-4-2.

Who'd be a manager eh?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

Carlos plays a no frills 4-4-2, gets no end of stick and fans demand he plays a more attacking 3-5-2. 

Who'd be a manager eh?

Agreed

Not sure why you keep pointing to Owlstalk as the sole source of this though

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Id go back to 4-4-2.

RB - Palmer - remove the necessity for him to attack so much - meaning he isnt left jogging back after hes lost the ball. 

CB - Thorniley - don't trust van Aken - time for Thorniley to step up and make the role his own

LB - Pudil - not a centre back - and another who doesnt need to be attacking all the time

RW - Matias? Pace

CM - Hutch - ballwinner

LW - Reach

ST - FF

ST - any of the other 7

Westwood.. seems certain to be out the door, so would be pointless to play him now.

Palmer.. everyone hates palmer.

Pudil at left back would get ruined every game. He simply isn't quick enough any more. He's said that himself.

Matias as a conventional winger.. would offer palmer zero protection. he'd be 2v1 constantly and the boo boys would be at him even more.
FF in a front 2.. historically hasn't worked particularly well. Not sure why it would suddenly work now.

So all in all. no thanks. not something i'd like to see us doing.

• Thanks 2

Guest Hillsborough Mole
23 minutes ago, Minton said:

Who'd be a manager eh?

I cant remember ever saying that

Or that I hate Palmer

Or Pudil saying hes not good enough to be a LB anymore (would love a link to that one)

But yeah. None of the formations would work well with the crap we have available. Which was kind of the whole point

16 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

I cant remember ever saying that

Or that I hate Palmer

Or Pudil saying hes not good enough to be a LB anymore (would love a link to that one)

But yeah. None of the formations would work well with the crap we have available. Which was kind of the whole point

I wasn't singling you out in particular, more the sheer number of people who constantly called for 3-5-2 when Carlos was here and now we are playing 3-5-2 under Jos, there seems to be a never-ending demand for us to play 4-4-2.

Personally, I’m of the opinion that unless the team you're playing is also playing 4-4-2, you leave yourself hideously exposed in midfield and down the flanks every time you attack.

Can we have a ceremony and just bury 4-4-2. It's dead, it's over. It died a long time ago. You can have 4 at the back if you wish, but putting another flat 4 in front of that is over. It doesn't work, change the magazine name to tactics and just remove all references to the formation from now on. Now whether we play 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 is valid. I would stick with 3-5-2 based on the 2nd half against Hull, give them time to get used to it.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
14 minutes ago, Minton said:

I wasn't singling you out in particular, more the sheer number of people who constantly called for 3-5-2 when Carlos was here and now we are playing 3-5-2 under Jos, there seems to be a never-ending demand for us to play 4-4-2.

Personally, I’m of the opinion that unless the team you're playing is also playing 4-4-2, you leave yourself hideously exposed in midfield and down the flanks every time you attack.

I cant think of a better system to our available players right now

We are unbalanced and no one can agree on formation. But to be honest I don’t think we have the players to play 442 those full backs are awful. So my opinion would be 343

Keeper - Dawson

back 3 - Pudil Lees Thornley 

Midfield 4 - Baker Hutch Bannan Reach

front 3 (pace) - Matias Joao Forestieri 

May as well stick with the system we've got and try and get the players playing it. This season should all be about trying to bring on the young players and reshaping the squad. I don't know how much trouble exactly we'll be in if we don't go up, so maybe there is real pressure on the club to do well this season.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Agreed

Not sure why you keep pointing to Owlstalk as the sole source of this though

Fans in general I guess. I just see it a lot on here as it's one of my main ways of connecting with fellow Wednesdayites

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Id go back to 4-4-2.

RW - Matias? Pace

CM - Hutch - ballwinner

LW - Reach

ST - FF

ST - any of the other 7

Really wish I'd not done this exercise as it just makes you realise what a dearth of talent we have for a club £50m overdrawn. I'm off for a lie-down. And possibly a cry.  We really are f*****d

A lot of this made sense then I saw the name Matias. On the evidence so far he’s not fit to clean the bogs. 

Guest Hillsborough Mole
6 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

A lot of this made sense then I saw the name Matias. On the evidence so far he’s not fit to clean the bogs. 

I really struggled with his inclusion

For a while I wrestled with Ozzie instead