Anyone consider this 'their' squad?

14 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

How many of them would you have in our current first team though ?

Banno, Shelts, Sterland, Megson, Shirty and Lyons are the only ones for me.

There are some very average players in that squad.

I'd have all of them! That side steamrollered it's way to promotion, only unluckily missing out on the title on goal difference. Don't forget that there were several players not on that photo who joined either just before the season started or during it - Hodge, Varadi, Madden, Worthington, Cunningham.

Hodge

Madden Smith/Shirtliff  Lyons

Sterland  Megson  Shelton  Worthington

Varadi  Bannister  Forestieri

Looks good to me!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

I'd have all of them! That side steamrollered it's way to promotion, only unluckily missing out on the title on goal difference. Don't forget that there were several players not on that photo who joined either just before the season started or during it - Hodge, Varadi, Madden, Worthington, Cunningham.

Hodge

Madden Smith/Shirtliff  Lyons

Sterland  Megson  Shelton  Worthington

Varadi  Bannister  Forestieri

Looks good to me!

Hey mate, I’m not knocking them. I was just surprised how many pretty average players there were in that pic. 

If you add the names of those that  joined later, as you have, it’s then  a totally different picture and a really good first 11

4 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Hey mate, I’m not knocking them. I was just surprised how many pretty average players there were in that pic. 

If you add the names of those that  joined later, as you have, it’s then  a totally different picture and a really good first 11

Yeah there are a lot of players in that photo who never or barely played. Football was a man's game back then with none of this modern squad rotation, if you look at the player appearance stats the team was pretty consistent with 9 players appearing in either all or the vast majority of the season's games.

http://www.adrianbullock.com/swfc/stats/lg1984.htm#Appearances

Guest Manwithastick

3 of them played for my father as school boys. Pat Heard in Hull, Mel and Charlie Williamson (plus Carl Shutt) at Waltheof. 

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

this would be mine ….it helped me put all our setbacks since in perspective and I suspect i'm not the only one who thinks the same 

post-1-1198571151_thumb.jpg

Yep you’re right torry.

when it comes to clueless, Burtenshaw was the master.

2 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

So in my 60 years watching I reckon we’ve had 4 ‘proper ‘ managers.

Catterick

Charlton

Wilkinson

Atkinson.

What do you reckon , torry ?

I missed Catterick by a season but those 4 are far and away the standouts …….I think the list of fallouts would be a lot longer