George Boyd

8 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Was a good player before he came to us.......seems to happen to a few that sign for us. 

Yup, we seem to have a nasty habit as a club of ruining good players when they come to us....

(obviously Sheridan and Waddle era players aside as they just got better)

35 minutes ago, Lichfield alien said:

The worse debut I have ever seen tbh

31 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

The worst game of football I've ever seen ...

And I've seen some shockers ...

It is the most excited I've been for ages as  I'd bought ifollow which was new.  Settled  down for the match and I was almost crying after half an hour.  Nodded off about 2 mins before half-time and woke up for their penalty.  The horrific theme continued.

A day that started filled with hope and joy finished with me wanting to smash the telly in.

Truly awful game of "football".

1 minute ago, sonofbert2 said:

It is the most excited I've been for ages as  I'd bought ifollow which was new.  Settled  down for the match and I was almost crying after half an hour.  Nodded off about 2 mins before half-time and woke up for their penalty.  The horrific theme continued.

A day that started filled with hope and joy finished with me wanting to smash the telly in.

Truly awful game of "football".

Lucky you..I wer there and spent a mint..it wer a bit like Wigan last week tbh :carlos:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lichfield alien said:

Lucky you..I wer there and spent a mint..it wer a bit like Wigan last week tbh :carlos:

Wigan last week was much better as a game and we got better as it went on and could have nicked something after a terrible start.

Preston were even more horrible than the year before when we snatched the very late point with our first real effort of the game and we'd learned nothing and offered much less in response.

Just now, sonofbert2 said:

Wigan last week was much better as a game and we got better as it went on and could have nicked something after a terrible start.

Preston were even more horrible than the year before when we snatched the very late point with our first real effort of the game and we'd learned nothing and offered much less in response.

Each to their own and all that..I hated Wigan..a proper poo day I had :carlosswfc:

This is like on Football Manager when you download a new tactic and all the players are at the most light green or orange in their positions but you play them there anyway cos you really liked the reviews of the tactic.

1 minute ago, Owls2k said:

Who remembers when Boyd signed and then Carlos said he couldn't play in a diamond after 4.8 seconds of him coming through the door.

He said something about him having to  run less if I remember but maybe that was because he'd put loads of timber on over the summer - who knows?

There was a really good article from either the Guardian or Independent which was about Mourinho's and other Portugese managers' methoda and explained perfectly the thinking behind CC's methods and the penny dropped re. why it all goes wrong in the third year.

When you set that article against our transfer policy and tbe plan then it is both very clear how close we came and why we are paying a price currently.  It also goes some way in explaining why DC kept CC on last season.

• Like 1

This is the article, the same methods employed by CC and this is what DC bought into and it very nearly came off.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/18/jose-mourinho-method-charisma-instability-manchester-united

CC was never a fraud but perhaps a bit of a ShitMourinho is a fairer insult.  Bit like Wilder is potentially just a ShitWarnock.

Jos came in and worked with a virtual reserve team, the cause of which was very likely at least partially down to the previous period and methods employed to win games.  

I think this, combined witb our circumstances, is why we've seen some seemingly frozen out and proves that there is  a plan, there is a brief he is working to, the players who will and won't be involved are fully aware and that he deserves a bit more patience and support if only based on his handling of that Friday night under immense pressure and his actual, recorded in history, record of real promotions in a decent league.

We could do with a German or Dutch Semedo type on loan.  Someone to act as a middleman and set an example.  

15 hours ago, Kanye West said:

Has he ever been played in his "actual" position? As far as I remember for Burnley he was a left midfielder. I don't recall seeing him play there that many times, if at all.

16/17 season for Burnley in the Prem:-

27 games RM

2 games RW

7 games LM

Started 33 of 38 games. 

Came on in 3.

Injured 1.

Rested 1.

As @torryowl posted, is our team that good that we don’t have room for Boyd in the side? 

So far Fox, Baker and Palmer have been chose ahead of him at WB, and Hutch and Joey have been picked ahead of him in midfield. 

Read the views of Burnley fans. No world-beater, but 100% effort and terrific at tracking back. Great shot on him. Fit as a flea. Great trainer. Workhorse. No pace. Crosses not his strength.

We should play Reach one side, Boyd the other, and you have solid but unspectacular quality in the two key wing-back positions. Then decide who works best with Bannan, be that Jones or Joey. That is the best 4 man midfield we have. It’s hardly Barca in their prime, but it is our best current crop, and good enough to mount some sort of campaign. We are all over the place right now.

11 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

16/17 season for Burnley in the Prem:-

27 games RM

2 games RW

7 games LM

Started 33 of 38 games. 

Came on in 3.

Injured 1.

Rested 1.

As @torryowl posted, is our team that good that we don’t have room for Boyd in the side? 

So far Fox, Baker and Palmer have been chose ahead of him at WB, and Hutch and Joey have been picked ahead of him in midfield. 

Read the views of Burnley fans. No world-beater, but 100% effort and terrific at tracking back. Great shot on him. Fit as a flea. Great trainer. Workhorse. No pace. Crosses not his strength.

We should play Reach one side, Boyd the other, and you have solid but unspectacular quality in the two key wing-back positions. Then decide who works best with Bannan, be that Jones or Joey. That is the best 4 man midfield we have. It’s hardly Barca in their prime, but it is our best current crop, and good enough to mount some sort of campaign. We are all over the place right now.

This! 

Said before ore season kicked off having a solid workhorse behind both Jaoa and Fessi would be great combination of endeavour, skill, pace, energy! 

Unsure why we are not seeing more of him unless it’s a sacrifice to expedite Bakers development. That doesn’t explain Fox, Thornely playing there though. 

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

This! 

Said before ore season kicked off having a solid workhorse behind both Jaoa and Fessi would be great combination of endeavour, skill, pace, energy! 

Yep Reach and Boyd were my two certs for wing-backs, and nothing I have seen so far changes that view.

Two top pros, one with energy, pace and a cross. The other an out and out solid workhorse from the Prem. One behind FF left, the other behind Joao right. 

Our packed 5 man midfield sure as hell isnt working is it?

7 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

Different when you're both there and I'm guessing had a few but as a match it was quite open and end to end because tbh both teams were a little bitwank.

Pies were good though......

had to buy a ticket for a bloody football match to get one however !!

WTF:

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Yep Reach and Boyd were my two certs for wing-backs, and nothing I have seen so far changes that view.

Two top pros, one with energy, pace and a cross. The other an out and out solid workhorse from the Prem. One behind FF left, the other behind Joao right. 

Our packed 5 man midfield sure as hell isnt working is it?

I don't understand why he's changed from the 3-4-3 that was successful at the back end of last season …….I like you would have boyd as wing back but if he doesn't fancy him there then i'd happily have him in the centre next to bannan ……...if he doesn't get a game I can only think he's another they want to try and force off the wage bill. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bazapeps said:

Does he have a future at the club?

Can't help but think Jos' selections have continued to be baffling this season, continuing from last season. Thorniley did ok when he came on on Saturday but had he made a rick or had we lost then fans would no doubt we wondering why on earth he replaced Fox on the left.

Boyd has no doubt been disappointing last season but towards the end seemed to do well at LWB, gave us some energy and attacking threat down that side. Fox and Thorniley barely get past the half way line and offer no attacking threat at all, which is bewildering in a 3-5-2.

Boyd somehow seems to have slipped behind Reach, Fox and Thorniley for that position. Yet another decision that seems to make no sense whatsoever.

Cough cough wages cough cough :ph34r:

• Haha 1