George Boyd

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

So do we just play Thorniley there because he had an ok half against Hull (tho was poor there a couple of games last season).. and accept that we have no attacking threat on the left at all?

I'm not being facetious, LWB is the big problem in our squad and i'm not sure how best to fill it. To me Boyd seems like the best of a bad bunch. It's easy to say "no, not him" but harder to come up with a better option.

I would be perfectly happy with Thornily behind Reach. One defends the other attacks, we don't have a LWB on the books

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bdmfournil said:

I would be perfectly happy with Thornily behind Reach. One defends the other attacks, we don't have a LWB on the books

as in.. 12 players o the pitch? :D
or reach at lwb and thorniley on the left of the back 3?

Could he play as one of three central midfielders in 3-5-2 formation?

Bannan, Hutch, Boyd 

or maybe even as one of an attacking trio

Boyd, Nuhiu, Forestieri

In shape and injury free he should be more than good enough. 

Like many others at the time I thought it was a brilliant signing. The common denominator is Sheffield Wednesday. It’s the Bermuda Triangle of football clubs, and footballers. 

We’ve managed to turn many very good players, with excellent track records, often at a higher level, into utter buffoons. Within a short space of time as well. There is something fundamentally wrong at this club, in my opinion. 

The season before he joined he covered more distance than anyone in the Premier League.

I can fully understand the thinking behind his signing and that of Jones.  The same thinking as the signing of Norwood that some are raving about although our two came with better stats and pedigree.

The one thing Jones can't be faulted for is putting a shift in, he plays an unglamorous  role in any team and does the job that some thicker fans never see in him and others like him in our or any team.

However I have only seen Boyd in close up once in the role he's being touted for in a game in which he scored and one we won convicingly against Reading and do you know what, he hardly broke sweat, prancing around like a big time Charlie.  He definitely gave the impression of having done his stint of grafting his nads off and of being here in "pasture mode" He actually reminded me of a horse put out to stud.

2 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

The season before he joined he covered more distance than anyone in the Premier League.

I can fully understand the thinking behind his signing and that of Jones.  The same thinking as the signing of Norwood that some are raving about although our two came with better stats and pedigree.

The one thing Jones can't be faulted for is putting a shift in, he plays an unglamorous  role in any team and does the job that some thicker fans never see in him and others like him in our or any team.

However I have only seen Boyd in close up once in the role he's being touted for in a game in which he scored and one we won convicingly against Reading and do you know what, he hardly broke sweat, prancing around like a big time Charlie.  He definitely gave the impression of having done his stint of grafting his nads off and of being here in "pasture mode" He actually reminded me of a horse put out to stud.

Couldn't believe how much more weighty he looked when starting at Preston first game and seeing him season before at Burnley ....

Good signing at the time, we needed serious competition for Wallace and considering Boyd came on a free, bags of experience and pedigree to have the same impact Wallace did when he first signed for us.

Gets seriously injured, team goes on a horrible run, then when we get a new manager/new system has to fight for a place in an unfamiliar role....never been easy for him and it has never helped he's not been able to play a number of games in his preferred RM role.

The club has made so many signings like Boyd, Winnall, Fletcher, Rhodes, Abdi, Matias, Fox the list goes on that have simply not delivered. Blame the manager, blame the chairman, it doesn't matter the outcome is still the same...club suffers, performance suffers and the fans pay the price.