BREAKING - Jos Luhukay explains Westwood Situation at #SWFC

Jos Luhukay has moved to clarify the situation regarding the selection of goalkeepers at the club.

The Owls’ first two games of the new campaign have seen academy products Cameron Dawson and Joe Wildsmith named in the matchday squads.

Dawson has started both fixtures between the sticks and the absence of Keiren Westwood has prompted a number of questions in the direction of the manager.

Luhukay said: “I’ve have tried to be clear about the situation.

“With the goalkeepers, we have spoken to them and they are clear.

“We made the decision after pre-season to start with Cammy in the goal in the Championship.

“Joe Wildsmith will be in the cup and will play on Thursday at Sunderland.

“Keiren Westwood is number three and must wait for his chance if something happens to Joe or Cammy. That is the situation.

“From January I have been working with two young very talented goalkeepers, 22 and 23, who have also the future for the club.

“They have been here a very long time and they have made a fantastic job in the last five months.

“Joe Wildsmith has been fantastic for us in the league and Cammy was excellent in the cups.

“I let him play in the league the last three games of last season with a view of finding out if he is a goalkeeper who can start from the beginning.

“Joe had a little bit more experience, Cammy not so much but these two goalkeepers can play for Sheffield Wednesday for a long, long time.”

He continued: “That is our decision. In the time before that, I have not worked with Keiren, I must go on what I see in the last seven months and that is why we make this decision.”

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He continued: “That is our decision. In the time before that, I have not worked with Keiren, I must go on what I see in the last seven months and that is why we make this decision.”

He’s almost been punished for being injured??? 

Although I can understand it he’s managed the youth for 7 months so why not but still it’s punished Westwood for his injury but again I agree he should prove his worth can’t jumb straight back in team through past history end of day Wildsmith and Dawson have been great so far. But on saying that I can’t see the same happening to outfield players in lee or hooper surely ?? 

Edited by Lomas613
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lomas613 said:

He’s almost been punished for being injured??? 

Although I can understand it he’s managed the youth for 7 months so why not but still it’s pinoshing Westwood for his injury can’t see same happening to outfield players in lee or hooper surely ?? 

Luhukay has always said there's no favourites when he works with a team

He has also said that players don't necessarily come back from injury and straight back into the starting 11

He's also saying he's building for the future

We already know Westwood is going to leave so makes sense to start planning for that immediately and not after he's gone

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

That explains nothing.  Is jos telling us that in 7months he hasn't worked with KW.  I just wish the club would be clear about what is going on.  I'm as sick of JL avoiding questions as i was of Carlos talking in riddles.

He hasn’t really worked with him he’s been injured not been back for selection long really 

3 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

That explains nothing.  Is jos telling us that in 7months he hasn't worked with KW.  I just wish the club would be clear about what is going on.  I'm as sick of JL avoiding questions as i was of Carlos talking in riddles.

How much more clear can jos be he has told everybodydawson is his number 1

I am not against it if he truly rates the others over Westwood. He is in charge, he makes the calls, he will get the blame if it goes wrong.

From the outside looking in  - it does seem kind of suspect. As i doubt one of us would think the same.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Box_Man said:

Really weak man management for me.

Jos is not the man to take us forward.

It would be the easiest thing in the world to play Westwood. More strength required not to. Just look at the stick he is getting.

Load of testicles imo 

Holds the club record for clean sheets, international, and obviously an important character in the team and was key to our success; was the difference between winning and losing in lots of games. 

Still only young for a keeper

It’s like saying don’t sign Cantona as we haven’t seen him play on grass.

Edited by Rogers

5 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

What answer do you require?  If Jos is answering the question honestly, then he isn't avoiding the question.  

• Thanks 1