Reach as LWB

2 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

You have just seen Thornley play the role expertly yet opt to pull back Reach out of his midfield role ? 

Bang on this. Thornley looked spot on yesterday. Pelepussy needs replacing never seems to get there to the tackle and when he gets the ball wants to much time. Can't Boyd play central midfield?

1 hour ago, CF83OWL said:

For those who do not understand a LWB's purpose...

_41707346_wing_back_416.gif

At last some sense.

A Championship WB doesn’t need to be a world class full-back and world class winger. It’s a compromise role for an athlete who can cross a ball well and harry an attacker. 

Reach is perfect.

Plus, he’s not very good in midfield. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

At last some sense.

A Championship WB doesn’t need to be a world class full-back and world class winger. It’s a compromise role for an athlete who can cross a ball well and harry an attacker. 

Reach is perfect.

Although not a great midfielder, in the absence of KL, he gives us the drive to put pressure on the opposition that none of the others are able to do. The midfield 3 that started against Villarreal and then again at Wigan left us so bereft of energy and forward intent that we could hardly get out of our own half.

9 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

At last some sense.

Reach is perfect.

Only my personal opinion, but I thought Reech was MoM yesterday.

He was the only one in M/F trying to do the job correctly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adelphi1867 said:

Wouldn't disagree. As always, put a reyt shift in, always maintains a high tempo, never hides and puts the opposition under pressure.

Guest LittleG
5 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

I also thought Reach played well yesterday and last season he was stand out in midfielf. Would not move him to LWB cos he's not the best of defenders( you still have to defend in that position) and we would miss his energy higher up the pitch 

3 hours ago, CF83OWL said:

Surely this is the most obvious position for Reach in the current formation?

Its time to see what George Boyd can do as an attacking midfielder also. 

Reach is a good player, but going forward we're spoilt for choice. 

Reach would still be a threat from LWB and his work rate is needed in that position. 

1 minute ago, s8owl75 said:

Its time to see what George Boyd can do as an attacking midfielder also. 

Reach is a good player, but going forward we're spoilt for choice. 

Reach would still be a threat from LWB and his work rate is needed in that position. 

Boyd offers nothing....

54 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Agreed. Also at Wigan he was the best outlet going forwards (although I thought his defending was poor).  He needs a free role to run at defences, he seemed tireless yesterday. 

Its a tough call hes improving as a central midfielder all the time and starting to look like a real player in there but given the lack of options a wb hes needed there as well. However well someone like thorniley plays there hes never going to have the quality reach does in advanced areas.

For now Id probably go for reach at lwb in home games  when we need the extra quality more than defensive attributes and play ff behind two strikers. Away from home go with thorniley at wingback to try and keep things tighter and have reach in the centre mid for a little extra energy in there and an added ability to break quickly.