can you...

i've been a wednesday fan for nigh on as long as i can remember.

at present at the back we've the wrong keeper in the nets, two bad full backs and been in need of a centre back for more than two years now. but as a wednesday fan i'm struggling to remember us having a 'sure fire' defence, we've often looked open arsed, what's the best, most watertight defence you can remember us having in any division?

Pearson and Shirtliff were a stand out for me ably assisted by Worthington. 

As were Lyons and Smith with a cracking right back called Zico! and also ably assisted by Worthington.

Beevers and Wood had an amazing season together too as i recall.

Beevers had just come out of the academy and we only conceded 9 home goals all season!

38 minutes ago, mike312 said:

Gray and Carlos.

we know why gray's defence was solid, it was all he had, as his forward line was from the 'must sell bin' in the 50p shop.

so how much of gray's defence did carlos take into his first season?

or, how much is the adage 'attack is the best form of defence' true?

The defence was pretty good in the 60’s...Springett (England international) Wilf Smith ((England U23) Vic Mobley (England U23)

Gerry Young ( England one cap I think) and Don Megson ( English Football League XI). Mobley and Megson were like brick sh1thouses, Smith the fast elegant overlapping full back and Young a very talented all round footballer. I couldn’t swear to it but I think 3 out of the four defenders were predominantly left footed. A shame they weren’t all at similar ages when they played together, Megson and Young were old stagers  by then and Mobley and Smith relatively inexperienced. The main difference between then and now was the fitness and strength they all had. I remember going to tottenham for a cup match and seeing the  Spurs team including Mullery, Chivers et al in about 69/70.. and my God they were frightening to look at in terms of fitness and power...footballs not the same tha’ knows! Needless to say Wednesday were hammered 4-1 that day at White Hart Lane.:duntmatter: