@owlstalk

Todays attendance at #SWFC

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

They are casual fans mate

They're not to be derided or mocked or slated, they are to be encouraged to more games.

They don't think the same way as those who buy season tickets no matter what and go home and away.

They are more like people who visit a chinese restaurant. They go for special occasions, when they feel like it, or for the odd night out. If they have a bad meal they give it a miss for a while as they don't consider it value for money. What they aren't are chinese restaurant fans of that restaurant who go every Saturday night regardless of their income or regardless of the standard of meal given to them.

I agree, and we have far too many.  If we manage to turn it around on the pitch just watch them come crawling back. Fans of other clubs don’t like their chairman but still pack out the ground, look at Newcastle. Still, if it all goes boobies up ( & i believe some want it to ) they can walk round with a satisfied smug on their faces saying I told you so. 

• Disagree 8

2 minutes ago, Concrete Owl said:

I agree, and we have far too many.  If we manage to turn it around on the pitch just watch them come crawling back. 

Crawling back?

CRAWLING BACK?

Jesus

This is exactly what I was talking about

They'd not be crawling back. They'd be simply coming along for a game.

They've nothing to crawl back to you for - nothing whatsoever.

They're people who don't have the same desires or thoughts that you do when it comes to watching Wednesday

I explained it above - it really is that simple

That's for those who can afford it too - there are others who save up to go to the ones as/when they can (usually will be the most exciting / biggest games) and again there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

People getting angry at fans who don't go week in week out like they do - I don't get it. It's like they totally completely miss the point entirely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Thanks 2

Amazon | Broadband | AirBnb

16 hours ago, Jaybeeowl said:

Looking at Twitter it seems most Hull fans boycotted. Refused to pay £39 and I can't say I blame them

How much do Hull charge?

Must be a lot as it seems many of them boycott their home games too.

Average attendance last season 15k:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Crawling back?

CRAWLING BACK?

Jesus

Yep. The type that say....

They don’t come and see me when I’m not well. Make me sick. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 10.12.47.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 10.12.51.jpgHow much do Hull charge?

• Agree 1

Just now, Concrete Owl said:

Yep. The type that say....

They don’t come and see me when I’m not well. Make me sick. 

I've literally never heard anyone ever say that

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, horny owl said:

Just like when they boycotted when we played them at Wembley 

Hull's a rugger town there's no appetite for football.

Not strictly true in my experience. I work in Hull a bit and it seems most people like footy. Problem is not many support Hull City. A lot of older generation support Leeds. Quite a few Liverpool fans too. 

A lot like rugby league and football. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, supersiggi said:

Not strictly true in my experience. I work in Hull a bit and it seems most people like footy. Problem is not many support Hull City. A lot of older generation support Leeds. Quite a few Liverpool fans too. 

A lot like rugby league and football. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Interesting and definitely surprising

Thanks for posting that mate

I was of the opinion it was just a rugby town

4 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

How much do Hull charge?

Must be a lot as it seems many of them boycott their home games too.

Average attendance last season 15k:rolleyes:

Only 24 for us last season..BUT...no concessions..so 48 for me and my 13 year old lad :picnic:...worth every penny to see a Jordan Rhodes goal tho :carlos:

Think our average over the last few seasons has held up well despite all the hierarchy are doing to put fans off going. Our biggest average in 50 years is only 29000 so the attendance yesterday was only 5000 under that. Really impressed with Thorniley, but £60 grand a week for Fletcher seems a little bit too much. :rolleyes:

Also I would fear for the team of we offload Fessi.

3 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

You actually couldnt be more wrong if you'd intentionally tried to be

We don't have too many at all

We don't have ENOUGH

We need every schoolkid in Sheffield and South Yorkshire to have a poster of Forestieri on their bedroom wall, to dream of their once or twice trip to Hillsborough a season. For them to want a Wednesday shirt for their birthday, and hopefully a ticket for our Boxing Day game for Christmas.  Thats what it was like in the early 90s - and it is those casual supporters of back then that are the reason our crowds are so good now. Alienating the casual supporters (and its not just the club that do it - its fans like you and others in this thread) by looking down on them, calling them part timers, dismissing their opinions on the club and the team because they don't go home and away every week is turning those fans off our club and on to easier clubs to do it. Clubs that 'get it' - encourage their casual fans. Clubs in the Premier League. Even Sheffield Utd make it far easier for casual fans to support them.

We have so much wrong at our club - but the above is (and has been for many years) the biggest.

You're right - there is some strange defending the indefensible on here about the club's attitude to supporters. 

I wouldn't mind DC's approach to the pricing if it matched the general football market rates, particularly our peers. However, it clearly doesn't and i can't see how going against the market can make your business (in any sector) succeed. 

I really do hope that there is a business strategy, that is sustainable and looks at other successful clubs for its lead. Unfortunately i can't see one - we're not a European super club with thousands of latent supporters ready to come flocking (or crawling) back to Hillsborough from years of hiatus. As Hillsborough Mole says, we benefited from the hard graft of the late 80s/early 90s to build up a good support base for the subsequent 20 years. I fear we are significantly undermining this at present and will live to regret this in 5/10 years time. 

• Agree 5

6 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

You actually couldnt be more wrong if you'd intentionally tried to be

We don't have too many at all

We don't have ENOUGH

We need every schoolkid in Sheffield and South Yorkshire to have a poster of Forestieri on their bedroom wall, to dream of their once or twice trip to Hillsborough a season. For them to want a Wednesday shirt for their birthday, and hopefully a ticket for our Boxing Day game for Christmas.  Thats what it was like in the early 90s - and it is those casual supporters of back then that are the reason our crowds are so good now. Alienating the casual supporters (and its not just the club that do it - its fans like you and others in this thread) by looking down on them, calling them part timers, dismissing their opinions on the club and the team because they don't go home and away every week is turning those fans off our club and on to easier clubs to do it. Clubs that 'get it' - encourage their casual fans. Clubs in the Premier League. Even Sheffield Utd make it far easier for casual fans to support them.

We have so much wrong at our club - but the above is (and has been for many years) the biggest.

I’m not having a go at our casual fans here Moley. I’m having a go at those stay away fans who normally go, or have season tickets, that want to go but stay away on principle or protest. It’s their right of course but IMO they’re just cutting their nose off to spite their face and helping to put the club in deeper trouble. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

15 hours ago, Justbeanz said:

The thing is pal the glory hunters as you call em are the casual pay on the dayers and unfortunately they are becoming more disenfranchised.

Agree and when did the so called glory hunters see any glory at Hillsborough ??

if it's glory they are looking for they wouldn't rock up to failure central

• Agree 2

Just now, Concrete Owl said:

I’m not having a go at our casual fans here Moley. I’m having a go at those stay away fans who normally go, or have season tickets, that want to go but stay away on principle or protest. It’s their right of course but IMO they’re just cutting their nose off to spite their face and helping to put the club in deeper trouble. 

Why worry about it though?

Just let em get on with it

If the club builds an exciting team, great facilities and a day out worth paying for people will come

Spending time worrying about a season ticket holder staying away is wasted energy

UTO

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Concrete Owl said:

Im a season ticket holder - I go home and away and seriously considered doing exactly what you described there this season. Boycotting home games and just going away.

It took my Mrs to talk sense to me - if I stay away who will hurt the most? The Chairman (whos got my money) or me - who would just mope around and try and catch the game on a dodgy stream, missing the afternoon with my mates in the pub. She was bang right. Went yesterday - and as per usual only the match spoilt a brilliant day.

But you said we have too many casual fans - who'll come crawling back. They were your words. I'd be happy to see our performances encourage 10,000 casual fans to come back - however casual, and for however many games. Because thats all money in the pot. And support for the team. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I’ve no problem whatsoever if fans don’t want to go. It’s up to them. 

I really feel for fans who would love to go but can’t because of finance/health/distance issues. I hate the thought of kids especially that cannot afford to watch live football wether they support us, United, Leeds whoever. 

What I can’t stand is the fans who could go but won’t and then wear it as some sort of weird badge of honour in threads like these. 

Edited by BIG D
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, the monk said:

Agree and when did the so called glory hunters see any glory at Hillsborough ??

if it's glory they are looking for they wouldn't rock up to failure central

Although they were scrambling for Club Wembley tickets at £300+ a pop a couple of years ago. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, horny owl said:

I've stopped going along with thousands of others

Spending my money elsewhere now

chansiris blown it.

The club ought to take note of posts and threads like this. It’s pure gold in terms of market information as opposed to surveys that produce the result that you wish to see. 

Edited by shandypants
  • Agree 2

If you can't afford to go then that's fair enough as is is a very expensive to attend now. But not to attend because the grass is too green or the pies should  be bigger is not good enough. Sarcasm apart I don't currently like lots of things that are going off but will keep attending as that's what a Wednesday fan does.

• Agree 1