Sheffield Wednesday 1 : 1 Hull (sort of OMDT)

2 minutes ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Nice sentiment, but the negativity WILL continue if we play like we did today. There was a chance that after last week, and with it being our first home game of the season, we would come out, all guns blazing. Did that happen ? Did it bug***y !!! We should have been at least 3 down at half time, and whilst there was marginal improvement in the 2nd half, we were still pretty awful.

Add to the above, that the manager has said that Westwood is 3rd choice keeper, and you can kind of see why folks are well and truly hacked off, even at this early stage of the season.

I guess the performance is a bit like *regressing to childhood* building with blocks, you have to build in such a way that everything goes upwards in a constructive way, we fell at the first hurdle last week, so this week was a "back to block one" week, we got a point, its progress.  The close season has been at best "a mess", but Mr C has his bearings now and with maybe the help of some loans we can collectively move forward.  The point will build some confidence especially as we came back from one down.  OK, it was a penalty I know, but they all count and FF did the business.  Fletch is starting again and again getting his bearings after injury, a 100 percent fit Fletch gets one or two today.  It didn't happen, but I believe it will, we just need to support him and not neg him out cos he missed a few chances, its a numbers game.  The goalkeeping thing is a mystery, the only thinking behind it I can tell is that KW has been injured a lot and has to prove himself and win the shirt back.  The other side to that is maybe FFP suggests we don't play him re:wages but that would be counterproductive as if you're trying to move him on, although he is proven he's not in the shop window.  The back four are also a work in progress, mistakes were made last week, but we've got to bear in mind that they're just getting used to playing together competitively, its back to the building blocks analogy, seeing what works and reassessing as time goes on.  The thing with all of it is, there is absolutely zero point in negging folk out two games in, yes last week was pants, this week has been a step forward, particularly second half.  Thursday will be altogether different in that its a cup game so the league pressure is off for a game.  JL can try some new things and see what works, yes a cup run would be nice, but lets face it, we all want to get up as soon as possible.  We have to think positively and work together to move everyone forward as a collective.  We're not in control but we do have a say, the only way voices can be heard is by showing up and SUPPORTING the team and if the ability arises where questions can be asked of the management, doing so in a non-confrontational manner, making scapegoats and bringing folk down is counter productive.

I wonder if DC still thinks we’re good enough to go up? Hull are a poor side and I don’t care how many chances Fletcher missed, we didn’t do enough to get past them and will struggle mightily this season unless performances improve.

EDIT: People are also forgetting the two absolute sitters Hull missed in the first four minutes. We can feel hard done by today, but we were nowhere near good enough to be challenging at the right end of the table.

Edited by Groundhopping Owl

Keep the faith. There were many positives today. Fletch could have won it for us today. If he gets that chance on Thursday night its going in 9 times out of 10

Believe. And try you damnedest to get the Wednesday players to believe.

Lets stop looking for excuses. The Chairman wants promotion. Jos wants promotion. The players want promotion. We all want promotion.

Believe

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, s8owl75 said:

Keep the faith. There were many positives today. Fletch could have won it for us today. If he gets that chance on Thursday night its going in 9 times out of 10

Believe. And try you damnedest to get the Wednesday players to believe.

Lets stop looking for excuses. The Chairman wants promotion. Jos wants promotion. The players want promotion. We all want promotion.

Believe

:tango::tango:

44 minutes ago, A12owl said:

There is believing and being realistic. I believe everybody WANTS promotion but realistically not many believe we will get promotion. I hope I'm wrong by believing we will not get promoted. 

It's August. The time for being realistic is October, and even then things can change. The realism in the stadium is tangible. If we don't believe then it's more difficult for the players to believe. 

I can see the faults just like everyone else can. I'm sick of seeing the opposition running through our midfield without challenge. I'm sick of seeing our forwards and midfielders not showing similar courage on the ball against our opponents. I also question why it looked like we were playing one up top at home today. 

I don't choose to write off their chances though. They are young. They can improve. They need to believe in their own abilities. I wont give them the excuse of writing off their chances. 

I'm sick of hearing Radio Sheffield talk about signings and embargoes. We still have the biggest squad I've ever known. I won't let the players have this as an excuse either. We're not playing Barcelona or Real Madrid this year. Every game is winnable. 

I can urge them on when they are on the ball or they are closing down. 

You can not deny Fletcher could have won it for us today. 

Talking ourselves out of promotion in August is self fulfilling. 

11 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

There are times when the cove pushes the boundaries.

That said he did bring me food when I had to live in the woods last season when her ladyship returned from prison.

I've thrashed previous valets. Not least Jemson from the agency. A terrible man servant. Lazy as they come with a surly look forever etched on his clock.

But old Stubbs, I'm not sure I'd attempt it with him. There's a real look of cold steel menace behind those hooded eyes.

And though I have no proof when I made that passing comment last year about Leon Clarks mobile kebab van making a real eyesore in the village and attracting the wrong types...the very next morning it had been totally gutted.

image.png.e0a7693c434ea761cb86675b0494a7e7.png

No I have no proof of course. But as Stubbs whistled in with the papers  he had a sort of knowing look, you know.

Sort of ironic really as I did not feel curse de Leon ever cooked

the kebab meat sufficiently well.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

Ended up on the tube with an old boy from your lot after the game who explained everything in detail.  I then fully understood a) why so many weren't there and b) why he was pretty somber even after winning.

Totally get your point but you should have let us win :-)

a lot of hull city fans actually wanted you to win because our visit to the prem guaranteed a pot of gold including parachute payments that meant our owners could hang around and pocket the money investing the absolute minimum.

steve bruce realised this and walked without a job to go to before the season even began

who gets a team promoted to the top flight then resigns?

imagine if Wednesday had won at Wembley,  how do you think it would have gone in the premier league?  heavy investment -gambling to stay up?  or pocket the money and accept the almost inevitable relegation and THEN  invest in order to bounce straight back up?

or minimum investment with your owner laughing all the way to the bank? 

• Like 1

There were positives for sure

Baker had a cracking game, Thorniley looked solid when he came on. Replacing a shoddy Fox. Fessi was top class today. 

However

Fletcher had the chances to put this game beyond all doubt. Pelupessy was God awful, no idea what Jos sees in him. 

We need to be Burying teams like Hull, they were terrible in the 2nd half. 

38 minutes ago, hullite said:

a lot of hull city fans actually wanted you to win because our visit to the prem guaranteed a pot of gold including parachute payments that meant our owners could hang around and pocket the money investing the absolute minimum.

steve bruce realised this and walked without a job to go to before the season even began

who gets a team promoted to the top flight then resigns?

imagine if Wednesday had won at Wembley,  how do you think it would have gone in the premier league?  heavy investment -gambling to stay up?  or pocket the money and accept the almost inevitable relegation and THEN  invest in order to bounce straight back up?

or minimum investment with your owner laughing all the way to the bank? 

It's a very good question but I don't think our chairman, as much as some are very critical of him right now, would have done what thetwats running your club have done.

Something to think about for some on here too I think and I think most would feel the same as me.

1 minute ago, Tommo_ said:

There were positives for sure

Baker had a cracking game, Thorniley looked solid when he came on. Replacing a shoddy Fox. Fessi was top class today. 

However

Fletcher had the chances to put this game beyond all doubt. Pelupessy was God awful, no idea what Jos sees in him. 

We need to be Burying teams like Hull, they were terrible in the 2nd half. 

A point in the right direction, we will get better

8 minutes ago, debram said:

A point in the right direction, we will get better

Absolutely. Biggest positive is our youth players are performing, and very well. 

Id easily have Baker as our first choice right back. Then thorniley came on and steadied the ship in the 2nd half