Call to arms

Having retired recently I wanted to come back on here after about a 9 month gap. I commented on a cricket based thread earlier that Wednesday are Yorkshire’s best supporters. Indeed i have always believed we are one of England’s most loyal and supportive clans. Let’s face it we have had plenty to be miserable about over the years, but have remained steadfast and waited for our time, and from time to time it has come, inthe 1990’s it looked like it might be here to stay. Latterly one off events like the play off finals at Cardiff and Wembley have helped convince me about the loyalty of our fans, as well as a hard core of 20000+ over the years. In the 70’s at our weakest I remember a pig fan at Hillsborough (yes I don’t know why we let him come with us on the kop at our lowest ebb) being amazed at how enthusiastically we reacted to getting a corner! So have we started to change. I feel not, but a little success, after masses of failure, has given some of us more a sense of entitlement with the new regime. DC is inexperienced in football and has made many mistakes, not least on pricing, but he has put more cash into Wednesday than anybody else I can remember (I know he has plenty of it) but I expect it’s more a case of honour than financial gain for him. Let’s show the stoicism that we showed at Wembley. Let’s show him that we are behind him in tough times as well as good. I’m fortunate enough to be a season ticket holder of many years standing. Last season I was disappointed and felt let down at times. I shouldn’t have been. I stopped posting here, although I didn’t stop reading. 

I should have been proud to just support Wednesday like my parents and grandparents before me.

So we are embargoed and couldn’t spend. We aren’t as strong as for the last 3 seasons, and we may not feel all our players are good enough for a promotion push. But we are still decent, and with good home form we could be top half, at least. We have resisted the temptation to cash in on our better players. Whatever happens let’s show how true, supportive and positive we are. I’m hoping to post here more often and I promise to be as positive as I can, Let’s show the establishment that they can embargo us and make rules, give others riches, and that we don’t care - because  we are Wednesday and we are proud. Come on Wednesday!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

40 minutes ago, Judas Atkinson said:

Having retired recently I wanted to come back on here after about a 9 month gap. I commented on a cricket based thread earlier that Wednesday are Yorkshire’s best supporters. Indeed i have always believed we are one of England’s most loyal and supportive clans. Let’s face it we have had plenty to be miserable about over the years, but have remained steadfast and waited for our time, and from time to time it has come, inthe 1990’s it looked like it might be here to stay. Latterly one off events like the play off finals at Cardiff and Wembley have helped convince me about the loyalty of our fans, as well as a hard core of 20000+ over the years. In the 70’s at our weakest I remember a pig fan at Hillsborough (yes I don’t know why we let him come with us on the kop at our lowest ebb) being amazed at how enthusiastically we reacted to getting a corner! So have we started to change. I feel not, but a little success, after masses of failure, has given some of us more a sense of entitlement with the new regime. DC is inexperienced in football and has made many mistakes, not least on pricing, but he has put more cash into Wednesday than anybody else I can remember (I know he has plenty of it) but I expect it’s more a case of honour than financial gain for him. Let’s show the stoicism that we showed at Wembley. Let’s show him that we are behind him in tough times as well as good. I’m fortunate enough to be a season ticket holder of many years standing. Last season I was disappointed and felt let down at times. I shouldn’t have been. I stopped posting here, although I didn’t stop reading. 

I should have been proud to just support Wednesday like my parents and grandparents before me.

So we are embargoed and couldn’t spend. We aren’t as strong as for the last 3 seasons, and we may not feel all our players are good enough for a promotion push. But we are still decent, and with good home form we could be top half, at least. We have resisted the temptation to cash in on our better players. Whatever happens let’s show how true, supportive and positive we are. I’m hoping to post here more often and I promise to be as positive as I can, Let’s show the establishment that they can embargo us and make rules, give others riches, and that we don’t care - because  we are Wednesday and we are proud. Come on Wednesday!

I prefer "give them nothing, but take from them, EVERYTHING....." and its no Tim Collins but I like the sentiment.

Fair play though.

5 hours ago, Judas Atkinson said:

Let’s make the place rock!

5 hours ago, Judas Atkinson said:

I'd argue that we really aren't any weaker, provided we can get players fit.

8 hours ago, Judas Atkinson said:

I don't think Wednesday do entitlement / expectation well, we tend to take our eye off the ball. BUT with all the odds stacked against us, including the Football League, and half a chance, now that's Wednesday at our best!

FFS we beat Man Utd in a League Cup final as a second division team. That will NEVER happen again to Man Utd

UTO!!

These threads always make me roll my eyes.

Are support is nothing special. Hasn't been for a very long time.

Those banging on about Wembley need a reality check. As soon as we went behind it was dead.

We turn on the team after the smallest error and were kicking the c**p out of each other just last weekend if the posts on here are to be believed.

I was a teenager the season we went down from the PL. I went to a fair few games (mainly away) and despite being dreadful in most of them we sang from the first minute till the last. Those days are long gone and have been replaced by negativity that is bordering on embarrassment.

20 minutes ago, Yoshihiro Sunbeam said:

These threads always make me roll my eyes.

Are support is nothing special. Hasn't been for a very long time.

Those banging on about Wembley need a reality check. As soon as we went behind it was dead.

We turn on the team after the smallest error and were kicking the c**p out of each other just last weekend if the posts on here are to be believed.

I was a teenager the season we went down from the PL. I went to a fair few games (mainly away) and despite being dreadful in most of them we sang from the first minute till the last. Those days are long gone and have been replaced by negativity that is bordering on embarrassment.

I think that is true of football in general. 

Modern consumerist society. 

We live in a different world. 

There's a generational change in football and everything else.

But Wednesday are no worse than any other club.

And we always have food numbers. 

Top away following in the league last weekend.