Joost Van Aken

2 hours ago, addedtime said:

I watched cricket there with my lad a few weeks ago. Sat in the blazing sunshine eating a Cornetto. Perfect.

Plus a bit of sunburn due to being a ginner (me not him)

2 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

Where is it mate?

Shoulders, back of the neck and the bald patch on the top of his head....if that helps?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

There’s lots of options for the back 3, none of which we tried at Wigan :wacko:

Hutch Lees Pudil 

Hutch Lees JVA

Thorniley Lees Pudil 

Hutch Lees Thorniley 

Lets see what JL does this w/e - I am hopeful he can get the balance right.

People panicking about our defense - it’s not the best but not as bad as people make out.

VA has been out a long time and needs our support - slating him isn’t going to help.

Thornily looked ok last season and Nelisen will probably get a chance too. 

Lets leave all the criticism behind now whether thats JVA any other player or the chairman. It is what it is. Now we all know the situation and wev'e done our share of moaning lets just get on with it by giving 100% backing to the boys. You never know just by being positive how far that may take us.

He's like john stones.

Got a lot of quality but makes basic errors fairly frequently. It wasn't just the Wigan game.

Those things can be worked on but if he can't turn it round soon we are in for a long season.

Ideally we needed to bring someone else in with him as third choice CB.

We do need to get behind him but it's hard not to groan when players make mistakes.

Guest Jack the Hat
3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Joost Van Aken.jpeg

Want to say good luck to Joost Van Aken for the upcoming season

Every single Sheffield Wednesday player have good and bad games and I'd like to think that this season we support those who have a bad one every now and again and give them the confidence to go again.

Those who were disappointed at his last performance have had time to whinge about it now. It was nearly a full week ago.

Let's spend the time now being positive, full of encouragement etc if he plays tomorrow.

A joost boost! If he can hit some form along with some of the young guns at the back- with Westwood of course- who knows what could happen. We have an ok midfield and great strike force. A fit lee and Hooper hitting form at the back end of the season - could have s few eating their own words. 

Guest addedtime
53 minutes ago, Lombado said:

Shoulders, back of the neck and the bald patch on the top of his head....if that helps?

Wooooaaah!! Full head of ginger here.

4 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Stick him on the left of the 3 tomorrow. We'll have plenty of the ball and he'll have less defending to do.

Move Pudil to LWB and if we're not going to play Fletcher from the start play Reach behind the front two with Hutch dropping into the back 3.

Westwood (yeah, I know)

Hutch              Lees          Van Acken

Boyd           Joey      Bannan          Pudil

Reach

Joao         Fessi

Sorted.

Van Aken started out life as a winger and still likes to get forward, with a good eye for a cross and with Pudils legs going, I would like to see a similar line up to the one yoy suggested, but with Pudil and VA swapped over. I reckon Pudil's effectiveness there at the end of last season earned him a contract extension and VA could flourish in the wingback role because it combines his best two attributes and gives us some extra height in the middle of the pitch.

Again, the right half (third?) position is made for Hutch and the central position for Lees, so that lineup should be far more solid and natural for all three defenders.

2 hours ago, torres said:

We are a passionate crowd - when someone messes up - the natural thing is to groan. It's as if they are an extension of us - if i do a poor pass when i play i don't cheer myself i let of a groan of disappointment 

This ''lets get behind the players stuff'' is what we have been doing for ever!!

You want clapping for clappings sake - you are at the wrong club with the wrong supporters.

You want passion, you want heart, soul, anger, elation, disappointment, noise, down right unbelievable backing then you get Wednesday fans

You want a steady hum regardless of the game go to Wigan, Bournemouth, Swansea, Watford etc etc

We are a real football club with real people supporting them.

If the players give us 90 minutes a week, we give them a lifetime of support

Don't disagree, but I think you are confusing 'Passion' with downright 'abuse'

Don't think anyone was saying 'clap' for the sake of it, and & I have to agree a 'groan' is, I suppose a default reaction & not a pre meditated 'action' / 'response'

I think the point was however, that singling players out, as has been the case,  is not only unfair in the current situation but also counter productive and to be honest, some of the treatment dished out to players isn't "passion, heart, soul, anger, elation, disappointment". It is basically bullying intimidation. I know it's always gone on to some degree, but the situation at the moment is slightly different in respect of our hands being tied re replacements.

I thank you for your advice re for the highlighted bit,  but maybe a bit late to change clubs.

I remember the "Usher for Russia" chants from the day and other such players singled out over the years, so i have maybe got slightly immune from it. Still doesn't help the player's though regardless.

Thought he looked really good at first, brought the ball out well and played some lovely passes.  Made a few errors, as we all do, and has had some time out, think he can go on and get better and needs our support and encouragement to give him the confidence.

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Joost Van Aken.jpeg

Want to say good luck to Joost Van Aken for the upcoming season

Every single Sheffield Wednesday player have good and bad games and I'd like to think that this season we support those who have a bad one every now and again and give them the confidence to go again.

Those who were disappointed at his last performance have had time to whinge about it now. It was nearly a full week ago.

Let's spend the time now being positive, full of encouragement etc if he plays tomorrow.

Hey @OWLSTALK, I bet you've NEVER considered this before, but with these positive posts ( really like them by the way ) , and the owner of a massive supporters forum, YOU could be employed as a fan liaison officer by the club!

I will clap JVA out tomorrow. I'll be hoping he does well. I won't get on his back by shouting abuse when he gets his positioning wrong or gets exposed for his inability to turn in a circle inside that of a large tanker. I'll mutter FFS to my mate and puff mi cheeks out.

Then I'll come on here and express my opinion that he's technically inept at this level, cost us points and defensive confidence in many games last season.

Unless he plays great for an extended spell and then I'll admit I was wrong. It happens too. I was getting mad about Hooper at one point but hes clearly a class act.

Its about evidence he actually is an asset. He needs to give us some.

Edited by Peacenocchio

Posted this before but no harm trying again.

Get this going tomo and his confidence will improve to no end.

Whooooa Joost van Aken

Plays for Wednesday, alongside Lees

Signed from Heerenveen and he's better than Jaap Stam

Signed from Heerenveen and he's better than Jaap Stam

To the above tune starting at nineteen seconds.

11 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Hey @OWLSTALK, I bet you've NEVER considered this before, but with these positive posts ( really like them by the way ) , and the owner of a massive supporters forum, YOU could be employed as a fan liaison officer by the club!

Welcome to our tribe young Redskin...Chief Whitefoot  welcomes you to his family .....

sittbull.jpg

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Pudil no longer has the legs for wingback.

I know he is similar age but I would have liked us to go (if we were not under an Umbongo) for Izaguirre who has just gone back to Celtic.

2 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Everything is peaceful when BCW is on the reservation 

His  tribe is growing with more like minded braves ......

Well now OG, this is an observation and not a criticism of the site or the posters but I find it difficult to understand why the current positivity needs to be promoted and the posters need encouragement to be positive. It really should come naturally, in my opinion that is.

Having said that, I just never have been able to accept anything negative about Wednesday and I never will so it's probably myself what's the odd one out or behind the times or whatever. In fact, my positivity is probably unhealthy.

I'm going for a lie down now.

1 minute ago, Eastleigh Owl said:

Well now OG, this is an observation and not a criticism of the site or the posters but I find it difficult to understand why the current positivity needs to be promoted and the posters need encouragement to be positive. It really should come naturally, in my opinion that is.

Having said that, I just never have been able to accept anything negative about Wednesday and I never will so it's probably myself what's the odd one out or behind the times or whatever. In fact, my positivity is probably unhealthy.

I'm going for a lie down now.

Disclaimer-Except Alan Irvine.

• Haha 2