Joost Van Aken

If he is picked you support him but personally think we have better options for position.

Problem comes if he is picked and does not perform. Unfortunately little tolerance will be shown due to his history.

14 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Player has a few bad games - shock 

Every single player in every single team that has ever played has bad games - we just seem to circle them like vultures and grind them down it's pathetic. 

Don’t think I’m doing that mate.

Every game I’ve seen him play he’s had a poor game. What else am I supposed to think?

I wouldn’t hound him and yes we have to give him time but from what I’ve seen he’s a poor championship defender 

40 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Can this also apply to anyone who pulls on the shirt.

We all know which players we're talking about, but clearly our options in certain areas are limited & no point making what we HAVE got available more nervous on the ball than need be.

Cut the 'groans', cut the 'screaming' at them, & in some cases the abuse. Like I said, in certain areas we don't have alternatives (not the players' faults) so no point cutting off our noses etc.  Let's at least try & get behind them, regardless of who it is.

We are a passionate crowd - when someone messes up - the natural thing is to groan. It's as if they are an extension of us - if i do a poor pass when i play i don't cheer myself i let of a groan of disappointment 

This ''lets get behind the players stuff'' is what we have been doing for ever!!

You want clapping for clappings sake - you are at the wrong club with the wrong supporters.

You want passion, you want heart, soul, anger, elation, disappointment, noise, down right unbelievable backing then you get Wednesday fans

You want a steady hum regardless of the game go to Wigan, Bournemouth, Swansea, Watford etc etc

We are a real football club with real people supporting them.

If the players give us 90 minutes a week, we give them a lifetime of support

• Thanks 1

Nor sure what it is about some of our fans and this site, when you look at other forums, yes other fans have a moan but we seem to be much worse in the criticism of players. A few bad games and anyone gets written off, why is it some of our fans seem to be so negative? Plenty of teams way worse of than us, we have no Devine right to be successful.

2 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Carlos did say when we signed him we’d have to be patient with him.

That lasted 3 games. Then he was torn to pieces every game until he got injured.

Now he’s fit let’s have a clean slate, last week was a poor TEAM performance.

Where has he been "torn to pieces"? Owlstalk?

I’m reluctant to hand out praise to players because apparently the attention they get scares them and I don’t want to be partly responsible for that. So from now on I’m going to go down the PES route and not specifically name players by their real name in the hopes that it releases the pressure a bit. Joop Van Atkins I hope you have a good season with us at centre back with Tam Leeks. Up the South Yorkshire Blues!

Edited by Rebowl Yell
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Joost Van Aken.jpeg

Want to say good luck to Joost Van Aken for the upcoming season

Every single Sheffield Wednesday player have good and bad games and I'd like to think that this season we support those who have a bad one every now and again and give them the confidence to go again.

Those who were disappointed at his last performance have had time to whinge about it now. It was nearly a full week ago.

Let's spend the time now being positive, full of encouragement etc if he plays tomorrow.

He's got a bike? He wants a move. He won't get on the bus for the next game.lol

If Jos is going to persist with 3 at the back then Joost needs to be left of the three being very very left footed. At the moment Pudil’s strength and experience should keep him in that position. However as many on here point out his ageing legs mean his time is coming to an end. Solution? Start bringing Joost on from the bench in that position whenever possible on the 60 minute mark. Allow him time to sharpen up, toughen up and adjust to a position he’s not been used to.

Has all the attributes but needs time and encouragement.

I'm all for giving players time to settle in and prove themselves, but Van Aken has been here for a year and shown no improvement at all. He can ping a ball across the pitch 40 yards, but his poor positioning and awareness are no better than when we bought him.

I'd rather see Thorniley or Hutchinson in a back three than Van Aken. I'm afraid he's been another waste of big money, which is why we're in a mess now.