Wingback Options

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

Are you on glue?

That a question for the OP or JL.

This system needs dropping unless JL thinks the embargo will be resolved and he has his eyes on two new additions (loans) before the end of August.

Problems are....

RWB

Palmer - not his natural position.

Baker - not his natural position.

Pelupessy - not his natural position.

Hutchinson - not his natural position.

Lee - not his natural position.

O’Grady - not his natural position.

LWB

Reach  - not his natural position.

Fox - not his natural position.

Boyd - not his natural position.

Pudil - can play there but legs have gone.

Penney - not his natural position.

Van Aken - not his natural position.

You see the dilemma. Of those mentioned, Lee is probably best suited (when fit) with his background of playing RB and in CM and has a footballing brain and good engine. On the left Reach on paper should be nailed on to play there but failing that Pudil is the best option but he openly admits his legs have gone.

Wing backs are an art form position, you can’t just throw anybody in there and expect them to perform. Moses Odubajo would have been ideal on the right but Brentford have snaffled him up.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

433 with back 4 + dm staying defensive, Bannan link man & the rest with a licence to cause havoc.

Yeah I reckon To be honest, whether it’s a back four, or a back three, defensively it makes little difference, we simply lack quality 

What playing a back three (five) does do though, is weaken, either the midfield, or the attack. Those are the two areas where we do have promotion chasing quality, so why compromise that by playing the extra man at the back It’s just daft

Edited by gurujuan

Like the OP says, let’s assume we do stay with wing-backs...

LWB - 3 realistic options

1. Reach - for me one of our best players and definitely got 90% of what it takes to be an outstanding WB. Lacks a tackle, but these days that’s not a priority. Speed, energy to burn, brilliant final ball, goals. He is easily our most outstanding WB imo.
  2. Fox - Worries me as a LB and no world-beater as a LEB but could do a job if Reach absent occasionally. Like his early crosses, he is quite physical, has half-decent energy, and is useful on the end of well-directed long balls.
  3. Boyd - see below

RWB - 2 realistic options

1. Boyd - Not exactly a resounding commendation, but quite simply he is better than Palmer So if we only have 2 choices, and we do, you have to play the better one. No pace, but great work-rate. Poor final ball, but can finish. Stronger on his left foot, but has played more on the right than left in the Prem! Will get up and down the pitch all day, though pulling a small tractor. Best of our two not great options. I would be happy with Boyd at RWB, 
  2. Palmer - nowhere near as bad as some make out, but he is not as good a footballer as Boyd. Poor end product, good energy, can tackle, always willing.

Complete no brainier for me. Our choices are limited, and Reach-Boyd is the best WB duo. I would also like them to swap now and then during a game to test out the oppo fullbacks.

4 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

If, as seems likely JL is sticking with 3-5-2, or hopefully 3-4-3, then wingbacks are here to stay.

Highly unlikely we will add to the squad, so will we have to force a square peg in a round hole and what are our options?

RWB

Palmer  -  Would seem to be in pole position but a liability IMHO

Baker  - Not seen enough of the lad, and academy watchers seem to think more suited to a flat back 4

O`Grady  -  On the few occasions i have seen him seems comfortable in possession an option ?

Pelupessy  -  Bit left field , very anonymous when played centrally, but maybe mobile enough to play this role ?

Hutchinson  -  In a back 4 maybe , but surely this role would be too demanding for his fragile fitness.

Lee  -  (If fit) could definitely play there, but would be needed far more urgently in a  central role.

LWB

Reach  -  Would seem to be nailed on but may be needed centrally

Fox  -  Had plenty of chances but never looked good enough, seems more comfortable in a back 3

Pudil  -  As a one off in an emergency perhaps, but doesn`t have the legs to do the job full time

Penney  -  Always been impressed whenever i have seen him, wonderful delivery, and REALLY needs to start the Sunderland game in this position (please not Fox) until we try we will never know.

Boyd  -  Didnt disgrace himself last season in this role, but lacks pace and clearly doesn`t relish the role.

Jones  -  Similar to Pelupessy, poor centrally but an option ?

Decent run down of options

I would say only viable options for these positions are.

RWB

Palmer

Baker

These 2 are injured

Boyd (versatile and would do it I'm sure)

LWB

Reach

Fox

Pudi

These 2 are injured

Boyd (versatile and would do it I'm sure)

If were not under embargo I'm sure we would have signed a right wing back. If we are able to loan a player after today a right wing back is priority number 1 for me. But i still think Palmer and Baker might turn out OK over a full season.

19 minutes ago, bdmfournil said:

Reach is better further forward, so I would say Fox, Penney or Thornily, all three are better at defending

But the role of a wingback is to defend and attack. If we play Fox as LWB there is no role for Reach ahead of him. You don’t have a wing-back and a winger.

Reach will be a revelation as a WB. He himself thinks it’s his best role.

6 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

If, as seems likely JL is sticking with 3-5-2, or hopefully 3-4-3, then wingbacks are here to stay.

Highly unlikely we will add to the squad, so will we have to force a square peg in a round hole and what are our options?

RWB

Palmer  -  Would seem to be in pole position but a liability IMHO

Baker  - Not seen enough of the lad, and academy watchers seem to think more suited to a flat back 4

O`Grady  -  On the few occasions i have seen him seems comfortable in possession an option ?

Pelupessy  -  Bit left field , very anonymous when played centrally, but maybe mobile enough to play this role ?

Hutchinson  -  In a back 4 maybe , but surely this role would be too demanding for his fragile fitness.

Lee  -  (If fit) could definitely play there, but would be needed far more urgently in a  central role.

LWB

Reach  -  Would seem to be nailed on but may be needed centrally

Fox  -  Had plenty of chances but never looked good enough, seems more comfortable in a back 3

Pudil  -  As a one off in an emergency perhaps, but doesn`t have the legs to do the job full time

Penney  -  Always been impressed whenever i have seen him, wonderful delivery, and REALLY needs to start the Sunderland game in this position (please not Fox) until we try we will never know.

Boyd  -  Didnt disgrace himself last season in this role, but lacks pace and clearly doesn`t relish the role.

Jones  -  Similar to Pelupessy, poor centrally but an option ?

So, in short, we're fecked!

8 minutes ago, bdmfournil said:

Unless we try Penney and Baker, I would say we are, yes

He MUST give Penney chance at lwb, rather then persisting with proven failures to turn good.

Out of all players in our squad he is the only one who fits demands of that role. Fox and Boyd are lacking pace at joining attack and tracking back, while they would get turned inside out by any half decent Championship winger. Reach is great going forward, but just as poor defending as Fox and Boyd are.

I think after that dreadful defensive display at Wigan he may go back to the formation he favoured in Germany. 

4-2-3-1

Reach and Boyd further forward but energetic enough to cover the full backs if they are pushing on.

Hutchinson provides the defensive midfield cover and Bannan orchestrating just further forward of him.

333702653_OwlsvHull4-2-3-1.png.14d37c195e7ff5705c1f9fc4adabbc28.png