Happy 85th Birthday Albert Quixall

Never saw him play but my Dad told me what a fantastic player he was.   I assume he must now be our oldest surviving player - unless anyone knows different!

A very happy 85th birthday to the original Golden boy & #OneofOurOwn - Albert Quixall - 66 goals in 260 games for #SWFC between 1951 & 1958. Became the most expensive British footballer in 1958 when signed by Matt Busby @ManUtd for £45,000. Not bad for a Southey lad!

78982570-football-albert-quixall-19-year-old-inside-gettyimages.jpg.0fc7074582c78fc2d6857945713b6c1d.jpg

57570dbe0ee95_AlbertQuixall-GoldenboyofSheffieldWednesday.jpg.1aa78dd653589bc39420f032c9c710c2.jpg.9766d9c3627698eb6ffda2149e765546.jpg

Stunning-Photo-Sheffield-Wednesday-1958-Albert-Quixall.jpg.1066640f19cbe158cff907c6a03ffa27.jpg

AQuixall1.jpg.c0fee715ebfaaaa031e19e8bb818832d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

One of my 'heartthrob' footballers in my youth of watching Wed. His partnership with winger Alan Finney was a joy to watch.. Never remember seeing Albert without a ball at his feet ANY TIME. Remember the match Wed played at Manure the first match after the Munich crash, and he was the only player who even tried that day. Shortly after, Busby bought him then never really played him, so he never reached his full potential.   One of the few players I know who could point to the Keeper where he was going to put the ball from a penalty, do so, and still beat the best of Keepers.

He took ballet classes because they trained much harder than footballers,and had superb movement as well as fitness. Wore his shorts as short as a tutu as well.     

Remember all those photos. The third was taken towards the North West corner, where the 'cheese now is.

• Like 5

Guest Jack the Hat

Before my time but my dad had a few manuals which he was in. Read a story that he could run the full length of the pitch with the ball balanced on his head. As a kid that fascinated me. Have a great birthday Albert!

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 09:34, daveyboy66 said:

Only saw him in the 63'cup final for Man U. Looked a great player. Not sure if he got injured after that

The so called Denis Law final, What ! Albert came down with a nasty dose of Jaundice after that and it knocked him sideways. Great player for us where he had most of his best days.

The legend of Quixall and Dooley is what I grew up with. Both hero worshipped by my Dad.

Had pictures of him from Charles Buchans Football Monthly but he’d gone to Man U by the time I’d started going 

• Like 1

On 09/08/2018 at 09:17, dunsbyowl said:

Never saw him play but my Dad told me what a fantastic player he was.   I assume he must now be our oldest surviving player - unless anyone knows different!

A very happy 85th birthday to the original Golden boy & #OneofOurOwn - Albert Quixall - 66 goals in 260 games for #SWFC between 1951 & 1958. Became the most expensive British footballer in 1958 when signed by Matt Busby @ManUtd for £45,000. Not bad for a Southey lad!

Southey! Southey!

He used to live on our street on Parson Cross, and for some reason that I never quite understood, I used to have his school cap with his name written in it. We didnt wear caps, but I had it for some reason.

We both went to Meynell Road, on the Cross, although many years apart.

Happy Birthday Albert!

2 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Southey! Southey!

He used to live on our street on Parson Cross, and for some reason that I never quite understood, I used to have his school cap with his name written in it. We didnt wear caps, but I had it for some reason.

Happy Birthday Albert!

My dad said that he lived opposite side of road on Doe Royd ont Cross (he bought a pair of football boots from him, but never actually played football)! 

Deffo from P. Cross.. 

3 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Southey! Southey!

Happy Birthday Albert!

I bet if I'd put Parson Cross someone would have said it was Southey!!

Proper Cross is round my old school ! Colley l ;-)

AQ.thumb.jpg.1664994761ea79d831d76110bc2dda69.jpg

I bet you wish it was this cap?  AQ at school with an England schoolboy cap!

Every club in the land wanted him ,He had one club he wanted  Sheffield Wednesday .He was sold to Manchester United behind his back ,He read in the paper we were selling him ,Went to the club they denied it ,Got a phone call later on that day ,Went down wondering what was the matter ,Saw Matt Busby ,Was furious the club had lied to him ,Thought if that's how you are going to treat me I will sign for United ,In his own words also said he regretted it ,Wednesday was the club he loved.

21 hours ago, Ibbo48 said:

The legend of Quixall and Dooley is what I grew up with. Both hero worshipped by my Dad.

Had pictures of him from Charles Buchans Football Monthly but he’d gone to Man U by the time I’d started going 

Same with my dad , the sale of AQ started my dads hatred of Eric Taylor. His comments at the time included "clubs going  tert dogs"