Cardiff in for FF

3 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I think the point is Bannan has 12 months and Forestieri has 24 months left to run and we can ill afford Bannan to leave on a free next summer or Forestieri to enter the final 12 months of his contract, which will see his value halve.

Agreed, we should not sell cheap and replace with inferior players - maybe quality loans to plug the gap until the ban is uplifted?

This is to assume though, they would be leaving. No club would sell its best player because he 'only' has 2 years left on his contract.

FFs strength is what he can bring to the team, his 'market' value is secondary, especially if he's not leaving.

Would we have crazy in the transfer market anyway even without FFP, a few tweaks probably, but nothing major. 

2 minutes ago, erowl said:

So you think the chairman discussed the embargo with Nuhiu and his agent whilst trying to extend him?

We've only just had it confirmed this week and then it had to be dragged from him

Nuhiu wouldn't have had a clue how good a negotiating position he was in because the chairman more or less had to resign him as he knew he couldn't get anyone else due to the embargo

You must be naive if you think the players or more importantly their agents weren't fully aware of our situation.

5 minutes ago, 109Waddle said:

Cheers. I wasn’t suggesting we did sell either player btw. Just wondering what selling would mean re FFP and P&S. Clear as mud to me.

I think the league make it up as they go along mate.

I reckon it will be seen in the fullness of time of one of those "It seemed like a good idea at the time".

7 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

I still don't think that's enough, looking at other equivalent players. 

3 mill more than Brookes.  No chance.

There's also 2 values. The MARKET value in today's market and the VALUE of what he brings to us.

The latter is higher than the former.

You’re absolutely right.

There’s also a third value; what any buying club is willing to pay. Unfortunately this is the most crucial because it’s the one that’s potentially dictated by bargaining power and who holds the cards in any negotiation. 

Having gone public this week that the club is in an absolute mess and is likely to be in even more of one this time next year, clubs will test our resolve with that 3rd valuation much more than they’ll give a sh*t about the 1st or 2nd.

Short of any stubbornness from the Chairman - which we can’t rule out of course - we have absolutely no bargaining power for our “top” players anymore. It’s gone. 

1 minute ago, bigthinrob said:

This is to assume though, they would be leaving. No club would sell its best player because he 'only' has 2 years left on his contract.

FFs strength is what he can bring to the team, his 'market' value is secondary, especially if he's not leaving.

Would we have crazy in the transfer market anyway even without FFP, a few tweaks probably, but nothing major. 

Most clubs look to move on players who have 2 years or less on their contract IF they aren't likely to renew - unless you're Arsenal! I guess when it comes to Forestieri, he'll be 30 when his contract does expire, so he won't be in as great demand as he would be now.

We have to think longer term. We have a lot of players who's contracts expire this summer and we need to raise money to rebuild/recycle the squad. If we don't need to sell to do this, then great keep Fernando, but if we don't then it makes longer term sense to cash in whilst his value is high.

True, the squad is still a good one - and if we can plug the gaps with a couple of loan and get our shape right, then we still have a chance of doing something this season.

3 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Most clubs look to move on players who have 2 years or less on their contract IF they aren't likely to renew - unless you're Arsenal! I guess when it comes to Forestieri, he'll be 30 when his contract does expire, so he won't be in as great demand as he would be now.

We have to think longe

If r term. We have a lot of players who's contracts expire this summer and we need to raise money to rebuild/recycle the squad. If we don't need to sell to do this, then great keep Fernando, but if we don't then it makes longer term sense to cash in whilst his value is high.

True, the squad is still a good one - and if we can plug the gaps with a couple of loan and get our shape right, then we still have a chance of doing something this season.

Spot on.

But who's going to do the rebuilding/recycling?

Would you trust the current regime to spend the money wisely?

28 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

You are joking right??

'around 12 mill'.

The same price that untried, untested, over hyped, Brookes went for. 

Someone was willing to take a gamble that he may turn out ok & throw £12 mill at it for the privilege and we are willing to sell our ONLY flair player for the same price.

I just cannot understand the logic in these parts sometimes.

PS age 28 is a footballer's prime. 

Its not about the price bud, more  about Nando, he's thrown a strop or two before to get his own way and if he wants to go play Premier league and we won't sell him with a reasonable confirmed bid, he may spit the dummy out creating disharmony in the dressing room, at the moment something we could really do without was my reasoning. 

2 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

You’re absolutely right.

There’s also a third value; what any buying club is willing to pay. Unfortunately this is the most crucial because it’s the one that’s potentially dictated by bargaining power and who holds the cards in any negotiation. 

Having gone public this week that the club is in an absolute mess and is likely to be in even more of one this time next year, clubs will test our resolve with that 3rd valuation much more than they’ll give a sh*t about the 1st or 2nd.

Short of any stubbornness from the Chairman - which we can’t rule out of course - we have absolutely no bargaining power for our “top” players anymore. It’s gone. 

Don't entirely agree to be honest.

If we had no money (which I don't understand to be the case) & were DESPERATE to sell to raise money, this would be the case, as with Brunt & Whelan at the time, but its not that situation, we are at the FFP limit, which is a different scenario. 

Why would we have a fire sale, sell our best players so we are freed up to once again start buying again, albeit with less money & lesser players.

Your scenario relies on us being desperate for funds and I don't think we are, not yet anyway.

32 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/big-name-cardiff-city-players-14858320

Just having a look who could be part of any swap deal....I know Bogle has already gone out on loan but not sure re. rest and if any could be of use to us.  Harris maybe if he's a fastfucker.

The only one I would consider out of those would be Pilkington, only because he's scored important goals for them at times. But all of those players mentioned were bit part players for them at this level. Pilkington's proven at this level but for me, although I would consider someone like him as a squad player, he wouldn't replace our best player.

To be honest, in my opinion, we'd struggle to replace Forestieri with quality, even if we get around double what they're said to be offering? Because you would expect a large chunk of the fee received would be needed to cover P&S/FFP plus we have to strengthen other areas and on top of that we'd have to replace our star player.

Unless we were astute and loaned in quality or unearthed a gem from somewhere, I can't see us replacing Forestieri with so little time in the transfer window left (plus what looks like being a competitive loan window). Personally I would hang onto both Forestieri and Bannan, at least until January, then I would consider offers for them if we're struggling in mid table or worse? 

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

3 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Its not about the price bud, more  about Nando, he's thrown a strop or two before to get his own way and if he wants to go play Premier league and we won't sell him with a reasonable confirmed bid, he may spit the dummy out creating disharmony in the dressing room, at the moment something we could really do without was my reasoning. 

Yeah I don't disagree, but it's all 'if's & but's'.

When I see clips of him around the club & training ground he looks more than happy and far from creating disharmony, looks like the 'life & soul' and we can't always base everything on 'what if's'.

Just work on how the situation stands at the moment. He seems happy, hasn't expressed an overwhelming desire to play in the prem, looks settled living around here etc etc.

Obviously these things change rapidly in football, but let's not pre-empt it, when there is absolutely no foundation at the moment.

5 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

IF we are well over FFP limit we may not have much option in this.

We do, we could wait till January, see where we are then cash in on January? Depends on whether we'll be ok if we hang onto our best players and make do with selling players we can replace and/or whom we have adequate cover for? But if we do keep the likes of Forestieri and Bannan but are way off the pace come January time, then it would be much harder to keep them and we'd have practically no choice and in that scenario I could see us cashing in.

• Thanks 1