Sheffield Wednesday Fans Forum - Overview

8 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

How do you know they would have brought in more revenue because we were challenging for promotion, in advance? Boxes are sold at the start of a season which could just as easily seen us battling relegation. Only afterwards do you know that they were worth having!  As for the naming rights, no one will put in what DC would. His hands are tied, for now. If the rules change (this is another story from the meeting) then he will chuck money at it, further down the line. What's the point of being tied to a minimal half a million a year deal with Ken's Cycles of Wath for 4 years, if he can do it for £10m next season, per season? Just a thought.

I KNOW that the boxes would have brought in more revenue in Chansiri season 1 and 2 at pre Chansiri prices and a 50/60% take up, because the take up would have much higher (more boxes sold within each season} for several reasons. a) There was great hype around about the clubs prospects and the type of players being brought in pre season, promised an exciting season.and great hope..The higher prices soon put paid to that. b) Boxes can be hired for each game, not only per season. So as the season wore on and our league position was evident, more would have taken a box on that basis too. Again at £2.5K plus VAT, that scuppered that too.In fact in the 2nd season of Mr C the boxes would have sold better too following the Wembley game, should they have been kept at a more reasonable price.

My second point, you appear to have misunderstood altogether.. I said it would have been preferable if a SLIGHTLY LOWER amount was taken on a season by season basis, not the 4 years period you are suggesting. Mr C could have waited to get a better offer, therefore, once promotion was achieved. In the meantime Mr could have put something like at least £3m into the Academy and training ground ( ie he still puts his money into the club, but not in sponsorship) and the club would have had the benefit of his investment/spend reducing the impact of contributing losses to FFP regs, as spend on the Academy and training ground are allowable expenses under FFP.

Neil (Owlstalk) is making similar points in his post. Why not take the bird in the hand when your hard up , smaller sums that are easier to secure from sponsorship/commercial and off set losses by at least something, WHILST waiting for the bigger anticipated deals.???

Edited by Whatahoot
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

I KNOW that the boxes would have brought in more revenue in Chansiri season 1 and 2 at pre Chansiri prices and a 50/60% take up, because the take up would have much higher (more boxes sold within each season} for several reasons. a) There was great hype around about the clubs prospects and the type of players being brought in pre season, promised an exciting season.and great hope..The higher prices soon put paid to that. b) Boxes can be hired for each game, not only per season. So as the season wore on and our league position was evident, more would have taken a box on that basis too. Again at £2.5 plus VAT, that scuppered that too.In fact in the 2nd season of Mr C the boxes would have sold better too following the Wembley game, should they have been kept at a more reasonable price.

My second point, you appear to have misunderstood altogether.. I said it would have been preferable if a SLIGHTL LOWER amount was taken on a season by season basis, not the 4 years period you are suggesting. Mr C could have waited to get a better offer, therefore, once promotion was achieved. In the meantime Mr could have put something like at least £3m into the Academy and training ground ( ie he still puts his money into the club, but not in sponsorship) and the club would have had the benefit of his investment/spend reducing the impact of contributing losses to FFP regs, as spend on the Academy and training ground are allowable expenses under FFP.

Neil (Owlstalk) is making similar points in his post. Why not take the bird in the hand when your hard up , smaller sums that are easier to secure from sponsorship/commercial and off set losses by at least something, WHILST waiting for the bigger anticipated deals.???

But aren't you selling boxes on the potential of the team then? Which can go either way. We still had the same manager & players going into season 3, but not many would have wanted to be sat watching us at home to Burton. DC said the current take up of boxes under him, was the same percentage as before him. If he's correct, then they're making more money because they're more expensive. I can only tell you what he told us. I can't imagine he's leaving any potential money making scheme untapped, without a very good reason.

It wouldn't make any sense, especially with our situation. Would it?

20 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

But aren't you selling boxes on the potential of the team then? Which can go either way. We still had the same manager & players going into season 3, but not many would have wanted to be sat watching us at home to Burton. DC said the current take up of boxes under him, was the same percentage as before him. If he's correct, then they're making more money because they're more expensive. I can only tell you what he told us. I can't imagine he's leaving any potential money making scheme untapped, without a very good reason.

It wouldn't make any sense, especially with our situation. Would it?

Mr C thought he was "tapping" into the clubs potential from day one, for sure, knowing that he needed to, given his expected spending to come. His problem was his immediate price hike was massive (nearly doubling the box price in one go). He should have only increased the prices by say 15-20% in that first season and he would have probably filled them, so he would have 100% of boxes being used and added the extra 15-20% hike on to top of that. That would not have put off so many punters. He may well of got away with a further 10% hike in his second season too. What he did, dampened down demand by the massive up front increase. Many fans are saying that he is not tapping into additional income, on a sustainable basis, in the right way. I happen to agree with them.Some things he has done, simply do not make sense, that is the whole point of these comments.