Jump to content


@owlstalk

Sheffield Wednesday Fans Forum - Overview

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

They won't be getting much

Way I see it - assemble a crack team of commercial salespeople and smash the living crap out of commercial side, sponsorships, advertising, exec boxes etc etc


What's the worst that can happen? We get SOME money into the club, we get accidental networking and advertising to staff, customers and colleagues of all those businesses and spread the SWFC word further and wider.
 

Totally agree and equally while Im totally on board with him asking fans to support the club (to increase or maintain turnover), commercially the club seems to tread water.

Im not sure if its his pride or he believes the club is just not appealing enough for businesses to sponsor, invest in etc (which is possible for many reasons) ....but there are so many opportunities to bring extra money in out there.

The club seems to look either in his wallet or at ticket sales, merchandise for revenue.

Aim for the stars and you may just land on some money clouds.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

 

DC said no 3rd party would sponsor for as much as he was prepared to put in. And that he was saving the stadium naming rights for 'when he might need to do it In the future'

 

So he already has plans to do it, but he's keeping it as an option for the future. For himself. Because no-one else will spend enough on it.

 

I remember him saying local sponsorship is just a drop in the ocean. Also, with the exec boxes, people were haggling & offering much less originally. So if he starts at a much higher price, he gets what he wants bottom line, if they haggle! It's a different logic, but I see what he means.

 

If DC had filled the corporate boxes for the last 3 season they have been empty even at £20,000 a season we would now have £1.7m more cash. The haggling thing is a big red herring, simply put business in Sheffield and the surrounding areas are going to our local rivals as they offer the same thing but for half the price. No haggling need just stupid pricing to start with 

 

The same goes for the naming right we could have been getting an extra £1/2m a season for the last 4 years without the football league raising too much of an eyebrow but instead we haven't. if we end up breaking FFP by a few hundred thousand i do hope the club realises their short sightedness on both of these issues which should have been sorted years ago.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

If DC had filled the corporate boxes for the last 3 season they have been empty even at £20,000 a season we would now have £1.7m more cash. The haggling thing is a big red herring, simply put business in Sheffield and the surrounding areas are going to our local rivals as they offer the same thing but for half the price. No haggling need just stupid pricing to start with 

 

The same goes for the naming right we could have been getting an extra £1/2m a season for the last 4 years without the football league raising too much of an eyebrow but instead we haven't. if we end up breaking FFP by a few hundred thousand i do hope the club realises their short sightedness on both of these issues which should have been sorted years ago.

 

 

DC pointed out that the boxes were never full of full price paying occupants before he came & still aren't. I think he said 50 / 60% then & now. So your first point is untrue.

Secondly, he is clearly saving the naming rights for a more appropriate time, further down the line. I reckon he knows better than you.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

You can if you can no longer operate the company as a going concern. In fact you have a duty to put it through some sort of insolvency proceedings to minimise threats to potential future creditors.  

Company Directors cannot continue trading an insolvent company knowingly, ie negative net tangible assets, whilst continuing to make losses. Its a crime punishable at law. That's why EFL have insisted QPR owners make directors loans into perm capital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was most disappointed with the point he made about his family not feeling safe coming to the club.

 

whatever our differences maybe, him and his family deserves our respect.

 

we are not united, we have more class than that and we need to show it.

 

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Brilliant overview from @TrickyTrev

 

 

Excellent summary. I've got to say, I'm more positive now having read that than I was reading owlstalk last night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

 

DC pointed out that the boxes were never full of full price paying occupants before he came & still aren't. I think he said 50 / 60% then & now. So your first point is untrue.

Secondly, he is clearly saving the naming rights for a more appropriate time, further down the line. I reckon he knows better than you.

The points  Room0035 makes , are both valid imo. A bird in the hand so to speak and anything is better than nowt, if you are hard up. The boxes would have brought in more revenue at the original price in both the first and second season under Mr C, because we were actually challenging for promotion, more would have been sold. We would have been better off with an  "outside" main and ground sponsor bringing in slightly less than Mr C's monies, for a shorter period (until we reach the promised land) In the meantime Mr C could have put his £2/3M over those 3 years into the training ground and Accademy, which are  deductible against FFP losses.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, room0035 said:

DC blaming everyone and anyone for his own failing.

 

The phrase a 'fool and his money' come to mind when I think of him.

 

We have no plan to sort the issues we are still in the never never land that promotions will sort everything.

 

The difference is we have gone backwards over the last 18 months, team invest millions in players just to stand still, we have invested nothing only wasted money on players we don't play. We must have the biggest wage bill of players that don't actually play any games of any team in this league. 

 

From last night I got one answer to the question I wanted to know does DC have a plan to correct the issues and the answer is simple no - Its all the fans fault because we don't waste thousands and thousands on players such as Abdi, Matias, Fletcher and Jones.

 

We need to offload the dross but instead our plan is wait until they are out of contract and we have lost another £20m.

 

Very true.

 

What Chansiri did was neither fish nor fowl.

 

I mean, if you're minded to believe that you need no plan, just spend, spend, spend and then promotion will solve everything then you've got to really spend, spend, spend.

 

Like Wolves did.

 

Otherwise, if you're unwilling to do that, you've got to be a man with a plan, as you say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

 

DC pointed out that the boxes were never full of full price paying occupants before he came & still aren't. I think he said 50 / 60% then & now. So your first point is untrue.

Secondly, he is clearly saving the naming rights for a more appropriate time, further down the line. I reckon he knows better than you.

I don't he has taken a club losing £5m a season and in 3 years got us losing over £20m a season and under an embargo that we will have to sell our best player in the hope of surviving and his only plan for getting out of it is promotion. Which if we breach FFP won't actually happen as the football league can prevent promotion under their new profit and sustainability rules. Unlike Dc I have actually read what Profit and Sustainability means.

 

It would also appear you too missed the point, of what I said we have a chairman that keeps telling us he cannot put any more money in under the current rules but if he bought every single Corporate box at £40,000 + vat then gave them to local charities and social clubs to use, he would be putting in over £1m in funds to the club, the positive feedback from charities and good causes would raise the profile of the club in a good way and no way in the world would the football league prevent something good being done for charity's. But this would mean DC actually putting money into the club which he cannot record as a loan which for the last few years seems to have been the problem.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

The points  Room0035 makes , are both valid imo. A bird in the hand so to speak and anything is better than nowt, if you are hard up. The boxes would have brought in more revenue at the original price in both the first and second season under Mr C, because we were actually challenging for promotion, more would have been sold. We would have been better off with an  "outside" main and ground sponsor bringing in slightly less than Mr C's monies, for a shorter period (until we reach the promised land) In the meantime Mr C could have put his £2/3M over those 3 years into the training ground and Accademy, which are  deductible against FFP losses.

 

How do you know they would have brought in more revenue because we were challenging for promotion, in advance? Boxes are sold at the start of a season which could just as easily seen us battling relegation. Only afterwards do you know that they were worth having!  As for the naming rights, no one will put in what DC would. His hands are tied, for now. If the rules change (this is another story from the meeting) then he will chuck money at it, further down the line. What's the point of being tied to a minimal half a million a year deal with Ken's Cycles of Wath for 4 years, if he can do it for £10m next season, per season? Just a thought.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I don't he has taken a club losing £5m a season and in 3 years got us losing over £20m a season and under an embargo that we will have to sell our best player in the hope of surviving and his only plan for getting out of it is promotion. Which if we breach FFP won't actually happen as the football league can prevent promotion under their new profit and sustainability rules. Unlike Dc I have actually read what Profit and Sustainability means.

 

It would also appear you too missed the point, of what I said we have a chairman that keeps telling us he cannot put any more money in under the current rules but if he bought every single Corporate box at £40,000 + vat then gave them to local charities and social clubs to use, he would be putting in over £1m in funds to the club, the positive feedback from charities and good causes would raise the profile of the club in a good way and no way in the world would the football league prevent something good being done for charity's. But this would mean DC actually putting money into the club which he cannot record as a loan which for the last few years seems to have been the problem.

 

 

 

But he obviously won't do that, for a reason. Makes far more sense to put that money in to the academy, which will bring through our future players. The £1m is, as he said himself, a drop in the ocean anyway, in the running of the club. He obviously prefers 50/60% occupancy paying full whack. His ball, his bat.

There's nothing wrong with the sentiment of your idea, don't get me wrong, but it's unrealistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

The £1m is, as he said himself, a drop in the ocean anyway



You know what? 

I'm trying not to post/comment today but feel I have to on this point

All these drops in the ocean that you mention or that the chairman says - does nobody think that all these drops in the ocean if we collected them could.... you know....  become an ocean? 

We seem to be currently stood in the desert so why not try collecting all these drops in the ocean?

Even if we end up stood in a muddy puddle it's way way wetter than where we currently stand
 

  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

 


Amazon | Broadband | AirBnb

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

That's very deep Neil :)


Even I can't understand it

 

lol

 


 


Amazon | Broadband | AirBnb

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

 

But he obviously won't do that, for a reason. Makes far more sense to put that money in to the academy, which will bring through our future players. The £1m is, as he said himself, a drop in the ocean anyway, in the running of the club. He obviously prefers 50/60% occupancy paying full whack. His ball, his bat.

There's nothing wrong with the sentiment of your idea, don't get me wrong, but it's unrealistic.

 

Yes but had this one million been put in for the years he has been here it would now be £4m and the problem with all of DC ideas they involve him not putting any money into the club only money being recorded as loans to presumably be repaid to him at a later date. In the same time fans are expected to put in thousands each season of money they don't have and as of last night does he say thank you for your support no he attacks the fans because they don't put more in.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

 


The Chairman can't just leave.

He'd have to sell the club to another chairman

Yeah I know, a poll of confidence, I would like him to sell to be honest, but the grass isn't always greener

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:


Even I can't understand it

 

lol

 

I do agree look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to tricky!

Nearly as good as that pringles code you dug up for free Sky...

We'll done Trev!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's nice to have a look on here today and see a more even, dare I say respectful tone.

I was reading the thread last night before going to work and was not impressed by the venomous pitchfork scenario unfolding. Very pleased to hear it wasn't like that at the actual forum.

Our situation has become a little clearer

And hopefully Mr Chansiri will take at least some of the points onboard.

I've looked for last night's thread and it's disappeared thankfully and I feel for the owner of this site. Gonna be damn hard to police but I for one am thankful for your efforts. I get most of my SWFC info from this site, even before the club's actual site in most cases. 

Anyways, I'll be at Hillsborough on Saturday with the grandson. We will be roaring our team on as always because that's what it's all about really.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, room0035 said:

 

Yes but had this one million been put in for the years he has been here it would now be £4m and the problem with all of DC ideas they involve him not putting any money into the club only money being recorded as loans to presumably be repaid to him at a later date. In the same time fans are expected to put in thousands each season of money they don't have and as of last night does he say thank you for your support no he attacks the fans because they don't put more in.

 

 

 

Hmm. So if me & you had a spare £1m then, as we're playing with random figures. Would you buy a few corporate boxes & give them to charity, or would you put it into developing our academy players? This is an actual choice for DC in your opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×