Sheffield Wednesday Fans Forum - Overview

35 minutes ago, prowl said:

The club will be set up as a company. If DC has decent accountants they will be dressing up the money he is 'investing' as loans. That way if we ever make a profit he can pay the 'debts' back and not pay tax.

On that basis DC can appoint liquidators as he is also a creditor.

Companies also go into voluntary liquidation, they shut the doors sell the assets, pay the debts etc. but the effect is the same, the company ceases all business activity.   

Reading these posts about admin and liquidation I cant help thinking about those who have multi year season tickets, some I know go up to something like 2025.
One reason I didn't extend my current 3 year season ticket was the thought if we did go bust / admim / liquidation was what would happen to my money if this happened. Yes I do admit its a slim chance this will happen but did not have enough confidence in Chansiri to trust him with taking a sizeable chunk out of my life savings for it.

Thanks for the report

I read a lot of honesty from DC comments and like most honest comments some things are not what some people want to hear.

Our club requires a large infrastructure. It costs money to run.

To provide the quality of football that is expected it also costs a lot of money. Players are people and on match day you can't guarantee they'll all turn up on the day....and that part of his plan is a variable that he can't control. Thats just a fact of life. However I can see/read he is trying his best (personally and financially) to give Jos and the squad the best backing he can with the constraints attached to the club.

The most significant thing is he asked the fans continually to support the club and ultimately help. and trust him. I do and will continue to do so.

However, I would have been more blunt and said to the minority, stop being negative. 

Its the start of a new season with some quality players starting to re appear in the squad.

Edited by Mr Soul

Just now, room0035 said:

The John West Hillsbrough Stadium 

Or even the John West stadium and drop the Hillsborough name that is know around the world for the worst footballing disaster. Companies re-brand all the time to improve their image why not us.

That is a possibility but that decision would be made by the commercial team at John West, not the PLC board in Thailand.

1 minute ago, davethemagicweasel said:

So, are we any wiser as to whether we're actually under an embargo then?

Cox the thread got pulled last night before I'd finished it. 

Chairman is going to announce some news in the next few days and he says hopefully it will be good news

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

And when it comes to FFP that vast difference is discounted because it's an obvious way round the regulations. What we need to do is work out why other clubs can get good sponsors and we can't and then fix it. 

100% agreed something we need to do better and sensed DC recognised the value in that,  but maybe a bit too local in his aspirations given his international experience. Appreciate premier league is where it's at for sponsors but other championship clubs achieve sponsorship so is possible?

5 minutes ago, striker said:

but other championship clubs achieve sponsorship so is possible?

True but you have to wonder how much they're getting for them, probably relegated EPL teams get some sustained exposure for a season or two but global interest and financial income are significantly lower for the FLC than the EPL.

Just now, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

True but you have to wonder how much they're getting for them, probably relegated EPL teams get some sustained exposure for a season or two but global interest and financial income are significantly lower for the FLC than the EPL.

They won't be getting much

Way I see it - assemble a crack team of commercial salespeople and smash the living crap out of commercial side, sponsorships, advertising, exec boxes etc etc

What's the worst that can happen? We get SOME money into the club, we get accidental networking and advertising to staff, customers and colleagues of all those businesses and spread the SWFC word further and wider.

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Way I see it - assemble a crack team of commercial salespeople

How much is the average salary for "crack commercial salespeople" and how many would be needed for a team? Versus how much revenue they could bring into a 2nd tier club in a lesser English city? Not being obtuse here honest.

2 minutes ago, striker said:

No problem. I went wih an open mind, didn't buy into everything but came away strangely positive, despite the news, and looking forward to Saturday.

Me too. What people overlook is the fact there is actually a meeting in the first place! It's chaired by a bloke who's passionate & doing his best for the club, and has certainly put his money where his mouth is. He could just as easily have been in a London hotel or in Thailand last night. The one thing I heard that stood out was how much it is costing him / us to STAY where we are at the moment. Not to push on for promotion. To be holding our own like last season. We are up against some big spending, former Prem teams, with 3 new ones every year. OK, some will go back up, but those around us are much 'richer' in the short term. They can pay 6, 8, 10 million for a squad player, we can't. DC has never had the luxury of this money & I think that's hitting home now. That's why he's spent a lot on the academy. It's going to help us in the future a lot.

He said that people criticised the size of the squad last year, but ultimately that's what saved us from going down. Having plenty of players to overcome the injured ones.

Difficult times, but I believe he's doing all within his power to run the right way. Only time will tell. UTO.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

Good point and something DC eluded to.

If nobody wants to go into detail about what was said regards to FFP fair play.

But I think as fans we have a right to know the general jist of what was said. There were a few people on twitter last night who were there and made it sound like we are in really big trouble.

Would be nice if somebody can confirm whether we should be very concerned or not. And also if people can confirm whether they think the club knows what they're doing. 

Thanks.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Chairman is going to announce some news in the next few days and he says hopefully it will be good news

Would that be before or after we sell a few players.

I do hope when it come to early bird season tickets in January the fans remember this point and don't waste their money on signing up early.

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Way I see it - assemble a crack team of commercial salespeople and smash the living crap out of commercial side, sponsorships, advertising, exec boxes etc etc

What's the worst that can happen? We get SOME money into the club, we get accidental networking and advertising to staff, customers and colleagues of all those businesses and spread the SWFC word further and wider.

DC said no 3rd party would sponsor for as much as he was prepared to put in. And that he was saving the stadium naming rights for 'when he might need to do it In the future'

So he already has plans to do it, but he's keeping it as an option for the future. For himself. Because no-one else will spend enough on it.

I remember him saying local sponsorship is just a drop in the ocean. Also, with the exec boxes, people were haggling & offering much less originally. So if he starts at a much higher price, he gets what he wants bottom line, if they haggle! It's a different logic, but I see what he means.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

DC said no 3rd party would sponsor for as much as he was prepared to put in. And that he was saving the stadium naming rights for 'when he might need to do it In the future'

So he already has plans to do it, but he's keeping it as an option for the future. For himself. Because no-one else will spend enough on it.

I remember him saying local sponsorship is just a drop in the ocean. Also, with the exec boxes, people were haggling & offering much less originally. So if he starts at a much higher price, he gets what he wants bottom line, if they haggle! It's a different logic, but I see what he means.

I want us to be a football club that goes out to seek sponsorships and exec box holders and advertisers.

I don't see the benefit in saying 'ahhhh it's not worth the effort' whatsoever

I don't want our football club to be the only one in the country not trying to attract local businesses and companies into the club. I want us to be the leader at it.

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

Because no one wants to put the money in! We can ask any player we want, to sign for us. we can offer the best terms, but the one thing we cannot do is to get him to sign on the dotted line if he doesn't want. Remember the old , but true, adage - You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

I honestly believe that Wednesday are the greatest team in the world. Unfortunately I'm in a minority. Maybe its time we stood back and took a long hard look at ourselves. We are NOT the best-supported team in the league (in fact , often not in our own City) The image of Sheffield in general is not the best of images.(Leeds has shown us the way many times) Our Football record does not stand comparison with some places (since I started watching, I believe I have seen more second tier than top tier football), and don't forget that footballers talk among themselves. We hardly have the best reputation for supporting our players The case of Palmer is but one example. A local lad who often gets the proverbial stick rather than support from his own fans. These things do not go unnoticed.

And YES. Before the event, for weeks if not months, many of the fans could be heard saying ' What we wants is a goalscorer. Someone like Rhodes!'

Instead of continually blaming those in charge, who are far from blameless I agree, let us look a little at OURSELVES. We are far from blameless.   

So nobody, absolutely nobody wants to put their name on the front of a shirt belonging to a championship team that has finished in the playoffs two years out of the last three? This could generate a couple of million, Chansiri could then put his sponsorship logo on the back and sleeves and continue to play what he is now. I’m of the opinion that some money is better than no money, especially when we are in dire need of opening up multiple revenue streams.

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

If nobody wants to go into detail about what was said regards to FFP fair play.

But I think as fans we have a right to know the general jist of what was said. There were a few people on twitter last night who were there and made it sound like we are in really big trouble.

Would be nice if somebody can confirm whether we should very  be concerned or not. And also if people can confirm whether they think the club knows what they're doing. 

Thanks.

In truth, not a great deal of detail but have to respect DC"s request not to publish as would be detrimental to the club. 

Acknowledgment of some issues, which we all suspected, as has been debated over the summer but we are doing things the right way and hopeful of some good news.

Personally I'm no more concerned after last night than I was beforehand.

Edited by striker
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Totally agree and equally while Im totally on board with him asking fans to support the club (to increase or maintain turnover), commercially the club seems to tread water.

Im not sure if its his pride or he believes the club is just not appealing enough for businesses to sponsor, invest in etc (which is possible for many reasons) ....but there are so many opportunities to bring extra money in out there.

The club seems to look either in his wallet or at ticket sales, merchandise for revenue.

Aim for the stars and you may just land on some money clouds.