Sheffield Wednesday Fans Forum - Overview

24 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Said nobody will sponsor it for as much he will pay

The other 23 teams in the division have no problems getting shirt sponsorship, previous to DC in charge we had no problems getting a sponsor on the shirt, has football changed that much in 3 ears when the championship is the 4th most watch league in World football or possible just possible is it more a case of an advertiser will not pay what DC want them to.

Was there anything last night about how the club and the chairman plan to get us out of an embargo other than promotion to the premier league??????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great read that overview, I was on here last night and couldn’t make head or tail of what was been said , suspect a few people dramatising it aswell 

interesting to hear having Chansiri on the seats wasn’t just an ego thing like many many people claimed, were just not that attractive to sponsors am afraid 

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The Chairman can't just leave.

He'd have to sell the club to another chairman

He can just leave. He appoints liquidators and they sell the assets.

He would lose everything he has put in but if he's prepared to accept that it is an option.

Let's not go there, I don't think for a minute he would do it.

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Re moderation - the chairman's asked for criticism to be fair and constructive. I agree with that sentiment. Obviously we can only do what we can do on this site and we will try to ensure this is the case. I ask for all members cooperation with that and that includes the fans that come on just to mock and goad other posters who are questioning/being critical of the chairman.

So does that mean that the days of posters gleefully posting things like "Palmer is garbage" (one post I remember seeing yesterday that I negged) are over?

7 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The other 23 teams in the division have no problems getting shirt sponsorship, previous to DC in charge we had no problems getting a sponsor on the shirt, has football changed that much in 3 ears when the championship is the 4th most watch league in World football or possible just possible is it more a case of an advertiser will not pay what DC want them to.

Was there anything last night about how the club and the chairman plan to get us out of an embargo other than promotion to the premier league??????

Said nobody will sponsor it for as much he will pay

Key part highlighted.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

It's not even an option. It is not like sacking a manager and getting another. We are well up s h i t creek without a paddle right now. If he were to go, that s h i t would just get deeper and thicker. 

It was just an idea to get the general mood of owlstalkers, after reading more comments, I agree I don't think its necessary.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Great read that overview, I was on here last night and couldn’t make head or tail of what was been said , suspect a few people dramatising it aswell 

interesting to hear having Chansiri on the seats wasn’t just an ego thing like many many people claimed, were just not that attractive to sponsors am afraid 

Sure they might be one or two clubs owners who have done the same with the seats and shirts sponsorship but I cant think of any off top of my head.

The shirt, before he came shirts were £40, his first year £50, but we have Fernando and others unlike the players we had before. Why weren’t shirts thought of as expensive at £40 when before our players weren’t as good and he only increased them by £10 but we saw a greatly improved playing squad.

So if Forestieri gets sold on Thursday, will the shirts be reduced to a reasonable price on Friday? :stuwinky:

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

In the nicest possible way Neil, it kinda sounds like you're giving up. You say so yourself it's not the fan's fault, and you know the situationwe're in. Silently plodding along while the inevitable happens (yes, I read the thread and know what was said, no I won't repeat it) just has an air of rolling over. Not that I think our protestations would amount to owt tangibly good anyway.

Sorry if that comes across as an unfair assessment, but based off everything that's happened to then have a normally quite vocal member just seemingly lay down it's pretty demoralising. Feels like there's a fast-approaching inevitable end to all this...

It's a need to know basis S/O..

When you need to know you will be informed ...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Seen a few times that Chansiri has asked fans to trust him. Just speaking for myself I don't trust him.

I don't think he is a crook or anything like problems some clubs have had but I don't trust him to be chairman and owner of a club like Wednesday.

Comes across as close to being s*** or bust this season. Not the way to run a football club.

Also talks like money is the answer to every problem in football. Yes money goes a long way but you have to know how to use it properly as well which in my opinion he isn't. 

Were you saying that when he brought Bannan, FF, Hooper, Joao, extended the contracts of Westwood, Lees, Lee etc

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

In the nicest possible way Neil, it kinda sounds like you're giving up. You say so yourself it's not the fan's fault, and you know the situationwe're in. Silently plodding along while the inevitable happens (yes, I read the thread and know what was said, no I won't repeat it) just has an air of rolling over. Not that I think our protestations would amount to owt tangibly good anyway.

Sorry if that comes across as an unfair assessment, but based off everything that's happened to then have a normally quite vocal member just seemingly lay down it's pretty demoralising. Feels like there's a fast-approaching inevitable end to all this...

I'd say that's a pretty accurate assessment to be fair mate

Owlstalk Shop

27 minutes ago, room0035 said:

DC blaming everyone and anyone for his own failing.

The phrase a 'fool and his money' come to mind when I think of him.

We have no plan to sort the issues we are still in the never never land that promotions will sort everything.

The difference is we have gone backwards over the last 18 months, team invest millions in players just to stand still, we have invested nothing only wasted money on players we don't play. We must have the biggest wage bill of players that don't actually play any games of any team in this league. 

From last night I got one answer to the question I wanted to know does DC have a plan to correct the issues and the answer is simple no - Its all the fans fault because we don't waste thousands and thousands on players such as Abdi, Matias, Fletcher and Jones.

We need to offload the dross but instead our plan is wait until they are out of contract and we have lost another £20m.

We might need to offload them but if no one wants to buy them what do you suggest? We can't force them to leave, they have legally binding contracts.

The only way out of the mire is to sell the players we can sell but that would inevitably be for less than they are really worth. I'd do that to safeguard the future of the club but it wouldn't be popular.

These days clubs can't survive without a rich person funding them. Get relegated and it gets worse because the TV money is less. Stay in the Championship and you need to find £6M or £7M to get bye much more if you want to be successful.

If we are losing £20M per year We probably need to sell FF and another top player to get things back under control for next year.

His family being insulted and abused is not on...full stop.

On footballing matters though the buck stops with him. Plenty of clubs in the league buying good players who have much cheaper season tickets and replica shirts so I don’t buy that one. It’s not a reaction just from Wigan though is it? It’s actually one since the second season under Carlos where the football was awful - for me anyway. 

Nobody takes control of a football club to make money, if he didn’t expect to lose money he didn’t do his homework!

2 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

Why can’t we have a shirt sponsor as well as Chansiri? A main sponsor on the front, Chansiri on back or sleeves - he puts in the same amount as now but we get an extra few million from some online bookies?

Because no one wants to put the money in! We can ask any player we want, to sign for us. we can offer the best terms, but the one thing we cannot do is to get him to sign on the dotted line if he doesn't want. Remember the old , but true, adage - You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

I honestly believe that Wednesday are the greatest team in the world. Unfortunately I'm in a minority. Maybe its time we stood back and took a long hard look at ourselves. We are NOT the best-supported team in the league (in fact , often not in our own City) The image of Sheffield in general is not the best of images.(Leeds has shown us the way many times) Our Football record does not stand comparison with some places (since I started watching, I believe I have seen more second tier than top tier football), and don't forget that footballers talk among themselves. We hardly have the best reputation for supporting our players The case of Palmer is but one example. A local lad who often gets the proverbial stick rather than support from his own fans. These things do not go unnoticed.

And YES. Before the event, for weeks if not months, many of the fans could be heard saying ' What we wants is a goalscorer. Someone like Rhodes!'

Instead of continually blaming those in charge, who are far from blameless I agree, let us look a little at OURSELVES. We are far from blameless.   

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Were you saying that when he brought Bannan, FF, Hooper, Joao, extended the contracts of Westwood, Lees, Lee etc

This argument is flawed to me. 99.9% of fans when we brought these players don't think about the finances but the Chairmen should.

The people who welcomed these players did so on the trusting that the club could afford these signings.

People trusted Chansiri that the club had done there homework on these signings and they were sustainable, that trust in Chansiri has been misplaced. 

28 minutes ago, prowl said:

He can just leave. He appoints liquidators and they sell the assets.

He would lose everything he has put in but if he's prepared to accept that it is an option.

Let's not go there, I don't think for a minute he would do it.

The owner does not appoint liquidators. Creditors petition for administration or liquidation to recover debts.

You cannot just decide you have had enough and abandon debts!

The club will be set up as a company. If DC has decent accountants they will be dressing up the money he is 'investing' as loans. That way if we ever make a profit he can pay the 'debts' back and not pay tax.

On that basis DC can appoint liquidators as he is also a creditor.

Companies also go into voluntary liquidation, they shut the doors sell the assets, pay the debts etc. but the effect is the same, the company ceases all business activity.