Sheffield Wednesday Fans Forum - Overview

16 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Why can’t we have a shirt sponsor as well as Chansiri? A main sponsor on the front, Chansiri on back or sleeves - he puts in the same amount as now but we get an extra few million from some online bookies?

I hate all these clubs being sponsored by betting, pay day loans etc. I don’t want our club to promote ways for people to get into debt.

• Like 1

Putting the whole future of the club and financial Armageddon to one side for a minute, were those that asked questions around the issue of XXXL shirts comfortable with the answer provided?

Last thing we need right now is the daily trip to Fultons Foods negatively impacted by a sore nipple issue. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

I hate all these clubs being sponsored by betting, pay day loans etc. I don’t want our club to promote ways for people to get into debt.

Sadly it's probably inevitable but part of me will die inside when we have a betting company sponsorship. I have nothing at all against adults gambling I completely disagree with the way it's advertised constantly in the faces of children and teenagers.

Having been on twitter and here last night for the best part of 5 hours I finally fell asleep in tbe French heat. It wasn't a good sleep and I'm exhausted this morning. I wish I'd just read this summary now cos it's more positive than the bile and abuse i waded through last night, both from our fans and fans of other clubs. In fact the only positive, supportive comments I saw last night came from Leeds fans who sympathised with us. 

I too am a bit baffled over the money stuff. We need to bring in more money yet bring in hardly any revenue from boxes and corporate. Unless that whole side of things was running at a loss then I don't get why the prices are so high. Likewise the BBC deal. We seem to be turning money away whilst asking tbe ordinary fan to pay more, even though what the ordinary fans pay doesn't even cover the wages of the back room staff. 

I'd love him to get it right and see us promoted. I'm not convinced he will at the moment, but I'd never personally insult him or his family. I may criticise his decisions but personal insults and threats are so far beyond the pail that it makes me ashamed to call these people Wednesday. 

We are in a bit of a mess. We need to find the best way out of it as a team and as a family. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

His team, advisors, he still uses the same one he used in the first season apart from the coach. It hasn’t changed. Roeder & the committee didn’t do anything re recruitment.

First year Carlos knew nothing about English football so advisers provided options. Second year 100% Carlos signing players.

This is the salient part as far as I'm concerned.

If this be true, it's Carlito who's responsible for the signings which represent poor value.

Why the change in approach after such a successful start?

The piece also says we pay higher costs to fund better signings. Fair enough; we continue to pay these prices with no signings yet 7 1st team members leave. 

1 hour ago, Pulcinella said:

Just an example. Other multi million pound company’s are available for sponsorship opportunity’s.

Just now, jack whitham said:

Thanks Neil for the review, i know you cant go into ffp in detail but did what Chansiri seem positive or negative ?

No comment mate - simply for the reason that if it's the fans fault and social media's fault that we're in this mess then I'm bowing out and not commenting any longer. I'm just going to be a silent moderator now

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

Something I would add about last night was that I thought there was an awful lot lost in translation.

Another example of this would be where he would often say fans. I’ve seen reports on twitter where fans have said “he’s saying we are to blame for bad results”, “he’s saying we don’t support the club”, but at the start of the evening he stressed that when he said fans he didn’t mean all the fans only some but it was easier for him to speak this way due to his command of the English language.

Thanks for a great report!

And I agree on the part with Chansiri's command of English and how what he says sometimes can be misinterpreted. As a businessman I am confident he is well aware of tact and communication and that it's not all black or white, so when he is been talking about "fans", his use of the word needs to be regarded with context of what he's saying. Such as not blaming all fans for not supporting the club nor saying all fans are making him and his family feel unwelcome or unsafe. He wouldn't feel so at home here if it wasn't for the fans; it's just the loud actions of the bad crop that regrettably sours the apple and to the extent that Att is losing interest in vlogging.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Thanks @TrickyTrev.

Very different from the bile I was reading last night.

I’m 100% behind Chansiri. That’s not the same as believing he is doing everything right. He isn’t - nobody does.

It is strange. We “love” players who take millions out of the club, yet some of us despise a guy who puts mega millions into the club.

Absolutely spot on.

The players are paid a fortune which is ok, they get the rate for the job but Chansiri is the one funding the club. He is paying Millions each year to buy the players and pay their wages and all he gets is abuse from some fans.

I reckon the very vocal minority is between 5 and 10% of fans who are anti everything, maybe only 1% or less is abusive on social media. The trouble is they are the ones who are heard. The rest of the fans don't necessarily think everything is wonderful but they accept things as they are and grumble about specific things rather than everything.

Fans are a strange breed, if we are in the pub league we accept our lot and realise we are crap, if we have a bit of success we want more but rather than being content that we have improved we demand more and more and more. I'm no better, I want us to win every game and have been known to moan like mad if we don't. It's human nature I suppose.

I am worried about the comment that we will have serious problems if we don't get promotion because I think promotion is unlikely, If we have a lot of contracts expiring next year I don't see how we have a major problem, ok the playing staff might be poorer but we shouldn't have the same financial pressure.

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

(ps - it's NOT the fans fault. It never has been and never will and that includes social media, here, twitter etc etc)

I think the whole notion of 'fault' and 'blame' was a fan interpretation perpetuated in the social media

I don't think for one minute that DC 'blames' fans when things don't go according to plan

But using Jordan Rhodes as an example, I'd suggest the decision to bring him in was 'influenced' by the opinions expressed by fans

He's said as much himself

2 minutes ago, prowl said:

Absolutely spot on.

The players are paid a fortune which is ok, they get the rate for the job but Chansiri is the one funding the club. He is paying Millions each year to buy the players and pay their wages and all he gets is abuse from some fans.

I reckon the very vocal minority is between 5 and 10% of fans who are anti everything, maybe only 1% or less is abusive on social media. The trouble is they are the ones who are heard. The rest of the fans don't necessarily think everything is wonderful but they accept things as they are and grumble about specific things rather than everything.

Fans are a strange breed, if we are in the pub league we accept our lot and realise we are crap, if we have a bit of success we want more but rather than being content that we have improved we demand more and more and more. I'm no better, I want us to win every game and have been known to moan like mad if we don't. It's human nature I suppose.

I am worried about the comment that we will have serious problems if we don't get promotion because I think promotion is unlikely, If we have a lot of contracts expiring next year I don't see how we have a major problem, ok the playing staff might be poorer but we shouldn't have the same financial pressure.

What he was implying, suggests to me that a few contracts ending, and even a bunch of big sales will not really alter the situation

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

What he was implying, suggests to me that a few contracts ending, and even a bunch of big sales will not really alter the situation

The only faintly optimistic thing I can think of is that by ‘trouble’ he means some big sales and inability to renew some big contracts next summer. So it would ‘solve’ the situation but leave the squad in a very different state.

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

The only faintly optimistic thing I can think of is that by ‘trouble’ he means some big sales and inability to renew some big contracts next summer. So it would ‘solve’ the situation but leave the squad in a very different state.

Let's hope that is the case because we can buy quality cheaply if we change our direction but we might not survive a financial crisis.

24 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No comment mate - simply for the reason that if it's the fans fault and social media's fault that we're in this mess then I'm bowing out and not commenting any longer. I'm just going to be a silent moderator now

In the nicest possible way Neil, it kinda sounds like you're giving up. You say so yourself it's not the fan's fault, and you know the situationwe're in. Silently plodding along while the inevitable happens (yes, I read the thread and know what was said, no I won't repeat it) just has an air of rolling over. Not that I think our protestations would amount to owt tangibly good anyway.

Sorry if that comes across as an unfair assessment, but based off everything that's happened to then have a normally quite vocal member just seemingly lay down it's pretty demoralising. Feels like there's a fast-approaching inevitable end to all this...